Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Welders

Hello,

My Dad knows how to weld. However, he doesn't own any equipment. I am considering installing a springer solo seat soon and wanted to use the weld on kits. What would be the least expensive welder I could use? I have an uncle who has a cheap welder. I just don't know enough about these. Is it the quality of the material used to weld or the equipment. I figure all the mounts need are tack welds; but, I am probably wrong.

Please steer me in the right direction, thanks!

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM
100% Black & White

The easiest type of welder to use and the cheapest to buy is probably a MIG welder. The quality of the weld is mainly down to the skill of the welder imho. A more expensive welding unit will give you more adjustment possibilities, higher power and a better wire feed mechanism which all help but ultimately its down the the guy using the gun.

1982 Honda H100A
1990 Yamaha FZR1000R

VROC#35051

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Jack of all trades

Yeah i use a little 110v flux core welder (MIG without the gas) but if you really want some flexibility you could pick up a cheaper oxy torch and it would work fine. Welds really come down to whoever is burning the metal. A noob is still a noob even if he has the top of the line equipment.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Garage
I have a 110V, 100amp AC stick welder I got real cheap off eBay so I can teach myself how to weld....and I still have a lot to learn!

I use flux core wire like M_Angell so it is a "mig" welder in that sense. The current is adjustable for light or heavy welding. I got it for $60.00 delivered. It works fine for most welding and it suits me for what I want to do.

Talk to your dad and see what he prefers...DC or AC welder...wire feed or stick welder...etc.

From what I know so far....a DC welder will penetrate the material more becasue the current flows in one direction. You can reverse polarity to melt either the material or the wire/stick more so as not to burn through the material you are working on. Reverse the polarity the other way and you get a much deeper weld through the material you are working on

An AC welder will burn more evenly since the current alternates back and forth through the material and the stick/wire. My personal experience tells me that an AC welder is harder to start and keep the "spark" going, but seems to make a nicer weld IMO.

Searhc EBay for some really good deals.

Harbor Freight also has some decent ones for under $200.00. :
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ultsPerPage=20
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 08:02 PM

This is the one Im currently using....

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...der-68887.html

The provided wire is junk...go straight to a good Lincoln wire and you can weld 5/16", opposed to the 3/16" with the provided...and thats just from one side...if doing plate, you can do 1/2" easy if welding from both sides....

Price is right (on sale now actually), a LOT easier to use than a stick, and Im comfortable welding a tubular bike frame with it even...
Drawback is the spool capacity, but for a weekender, its more than perfect !...runs on 115 AC too !!!!....only a 20 amp circuit needed....run it from where ya plug yer coffee pot in, lol....
Another drawback, is that you cant do aluminum...that requires gas (TIG) or a DC stick welder....

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

bubble gum and bailing wire thats all i need lol

i did use a braising tip and a wire hanger once on my cage when i replaced the muffler and it was the only thing not to rattle off the car latter down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement