Any Quick License Plate Removal Idea? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Any Quick License Plate Removal Idea?

Hello brothers,

My VN-750 is holding on strong rain, shine, snow thanks to the mods that I found on this valuable site when I got the bike last year.

I have a question that I have yet to solve satisfactorily on my own. That is how do I quickly remove my license plate without having to twist the bolts for minutes on end.

No, I do not have any mischievous reason in mind for this purpose. I live in New York City, and my bike has been knocked over several times when I park between cars. I've found it much safer to park on the sidewalks, but the only way to avoid a ticket is to either cover the bike or remove the tags. I've done both successfully. But I'm looking for a faster way to go about this, i.e., remove the tags instantly. Here's what I've thought about:

Velcro (will be hard a sticky to remove)
Quick release fasteners (couldn't find any appropriate one so far)
License plate frame that would allow for the tag to slide easily in and out (couldn't find any such product on the market)

If any of you have done such a mod, please let me know how you went about it. Any other suggestion is also highly welcome. Thank you for reading this.

Archange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM

Hmmm... You'd need something that is strong enough to keep it from flying off as you're riding, secure enough that someone couldn't just grab your plate a run off with it, hold it tight enough so that it doesn't rattle when riding, but still fast to remove.

My first thought is wing nuts, but then you still have the time to spin them on and off.

Then I thought about something like a trailer hitch pin/clip. Like this: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...Hitch/PC3.html Obviously not that exactly. But maybe that'll give you an idea. It would have to be something small and I'm not sure if you could get it tight enough that it wouldn't rattle.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Deviate, your first paragraph describes exactly what I need. You did a much better job explaining it than I did haha.

I thought about a pin/clip too, but I thought it might vibrate off during rides. I'm also thinking I could use a quick, imperfect solution for short rides and switch back to the more permanent method for longer rides like when I go down to Maryland.

I really appreciate your inputs. Thanks a lot

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Jack of all trades

Idea! Get two bolts and wing nuts. Make sure you can get nuts close to the size of the slots on the license plate bracket. Grind them flat so they fit through horizontally but not vertically. Tighten them up and your plate should stay on just fine. Then a half turn on the wing nut would let them pull through.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well my thought is to use the same basic concept car dealers have used for years to make "removable Licence plates"......magnets.

They make some pretty strong magnets these days. Something like these:

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=268

Can be bolted to a licence plate frame and have corrisponding magnets on a separate plate bolted to the stock mount. I have two of these magnets at home and it takes some considerable effort to pull them apart.

I'd likely still have the bottom of the plate fit over some studs to keep it from slipping if you hit a pothole, and I'd bolt two metal tabs at the top go give you leverage go pull the plate off...(you'll need it)

No bolts, wingnuts, of Velcro to wear out. Snaps on and off with just a bit of muscle...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM

M_Angell...I see what you are saying I think. Something similar to this? http://www.sailrite.com/common-sense...r-2-screw-stud

KM, I had thought of magnets too at first, but then I wasn't sure about keeping the plate from shifting when you hit bumps or something. I guess a strong enough magnet and the studs like you mentioned would solve that.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Jack of all trades

Yes but cheaper
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Wow, these are all great thoughts. I like both ideas.

The magnet: I didn't know if I could find something that wouldn't come off in a sudden gust of wind. I'll definitely buy the ones you pointed to KM and try them out. Thanks a lot. You always have some very pointed thoughts.

M. Angell: I must concede that is a great ****ing idea, one that did not occur to me at all. I'll see what I can find in the hardware store and try it out too.

Ahhhh, you guys are ****ing awesome.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You can also use something like this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5476/

But cut the front out and install a sheet of clear plastic.....so the licence plate fits inside the box. and can be seen from the outside.

You just open it up and take the plate out when you don't want it seen. (or just turn it over)

Oh, and I'd be a little leery of anything that twists or screws open and closed. The Vulcan is notorious for vibrating the licence mount...enough to lose bolts and even crack the plate.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You can also use something like this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5476/

But cut the front out and install a sheet of clear plastic.....so the licence plate fits inside the box. and can be seen from the outside.

You just open it up and take the plate out when you don't want it seen. (or just turn it over)

Oh, and I'd be a little leery of anything that twists or screws open and closed. The Vulcan is notorious for vibrating the licence mount...enough to lose bolts and even crack the plate.

KM
Never had an issue with my plate. But if you want to cut down on it on your plate you could cut some black hose and slip it over the bracket. Then poke some holes for your fasteners and viola isolation mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement