What primer for bare metal tins? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

What primer for bare metal tins?

In a previous post, I was convinced to go down to bare metal on my bikes tins. I'm jut about done all the prep. A few more spots to sand.( a little bit of bondo on the tank and some on the underside of the fenders)

Other than that, the tank and fenders are completely down to bare metal. Recently sanded them all with 400 grit sandpaper. Looks pretty good bare metal, I must say. I picked up some generic automotive primer at Canadian tire.(hardware/automotive/housewares superstore in Canada). Ive heard of self etching primers. So i asked the guy there and he told me the generic stuff would do just fine and not worry about spending the extra $ on the self etching stuff. I even told him it was bare metal.

So whats the deal? Do I need self etching, or will generic do? Also, I was wondering what to do about the under side of the fenders. I plan on getting some of the house of Kolor coaco pearl to paint. Does it make a difference what primer I go with based on my paint decision?

-Cheers

1986 VN750
33,000 km's
Coastered
R/R relocated
Yuasa MF Battery
Iridium plugs/new wires & boots.
Custom 900 Seat
Bar end mirrors
Lowered headlight
Carbs cleaned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

I have always used "Sandable" primer for painting project involving my Vulcan with very good results but if you ask at the place you will buy the House of Kolor paint they may tell you that your finish choice needs something beyond the norm. Some of the newer final paints do require something special for a base to bring out the true effects of the top coat. That includes the "pearl" paints from what I have been told. I believe there are a few forum members with real paint experience that can give you a full and honest answer rather than rely on the people that are trying to sell you some very expensive stuff. Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures with details so the rest of us can learn and see the results.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 PM

There are basically 3 primer shades...red, gray and black...depending on your cover choice governs you primer color...and I cant see using a self etching unless youre building a showbike with numerous layering...
Lemme know what basic color you plan to paint with, and Ill let ya know which shade of primer to use...and like Tom said...get a sandible primer...rattlecan is fine, but a quality one...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Not a show bike, that's for sure. I bought some generic sandable primer. Gray colour. I planed on painting it a pearl base, similar to a root beer, from house of koror. Cocoa pearl to be exact. The grey primer I bought was "duplicolor, sandals primer"

1986 VN750
33,000 km's
Coastered
R/R relocated
Yuasa MF Battery
Custom 900 Seat
Bar end mirrors
Lowered headlight
Carbs cleaned
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 AM

Pearl over gray should be fine...although had you used just the root beer, the red primer wouldda been better....but you should be good.......because pearl is basically a white...

Rule of thumb....

Gray primer...blues, greens, whites

Red primer...earthtones...red to brown, and yellow

Black primer...blacks and the "midnight" colors, and metalflake bases

Some may disagree with me, but Im just sharing my personal experiences...

Do 3 coats pearl, then do it up...

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

I didn't spray it yet. So I could go and swap the grey for the red primer. Root beer is really close, but cocoa pearl is lighter. In your opinion, would you go with red or grey primer with cocoa?

1986 VN750
33,000 km's
Coastered
R/R relocated
Yuasa MF Battery
Custom 900 Seat
Bar end mirrors
Lowered headlight
Carbs cleaned
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

What would be the difference?would the finished product look a lot different if I used red or grey with the cocoa base?

1986 VN750
33,000 km's
Coastered
R/R relocated
Yuasa MF Battery
Custom 900 Seat
Bar end mirrors
Lowered headlight
Carbs cleaned
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 AM

The primer helps the base (enhances)...look at it that way...if yer still gonna use the pearl as a base, then go gray....
If ya wanna just do the cocoa or root beer w/o the pearl, then go red...
And its not actually "red"...is more of an ochre...or a rust oxide...if that makes sense...that'll make the browns look deeper and richer...
You could even give a half coat of pearl over red oxide (light coat from a distance), then do the browns...that will bring out the hilights over the high spots....
I did that with a bronze once, over red oxide...then covered with a sparse copper, and highlighted a chocolate with an airbrush...was awesome in the sun...ya kinda just wanted to lick it, lol....then I hand painted black pins over that...shame I didnt have a good cam then....

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 AM

..and GoldP...check this....

http://www.jbgrafix.com/gallery.htm

He's about a 4-5 hr drive from you, and its bucks, but the man is a genious and reasonable !

Last edited by Wolfie; 08-18-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: fixing link
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

i say stick with the gray it will be easier to cover grey than red so you wont have to go with a million coats to get the color right

as for the underside how about some spray on truck bed liner if you do it right it will never rust thats for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement