Passenger pegs/arm rest options - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Passenger pegs/arm rest options

I did a lot of thread searching and looking for options on passenger pegs....now I just need to see if anyone has opinions or other ideas to share.

I recently changed my stock seat to an aftermarket seat with a more comfortable passenger seat and added larger saddle bags for extended overnight trips with the wife. She likes the seat, and the bags do not get in the way at all. The one complaint I did get was that she had cramping in her legs from foot placement. It seems that the rear pegs are too far under her seat position for her to ride comfortably for long periods.

I know I can fabricate a floorboard for the passenger pegs to bolt in place of the rubber cover fairly easily, but was curious about if anyone has done anything different and how it turned out for them.

My main idea is to extend her foot position further forward, so I was thinking a floorboard that has mounting holes close to the rear and have the board extend forward. I think it should be OK as far as allowing the pegs to fold up when not in use.
Has anyone considered mounting a second set of passenger pegs for alternate positions (like highway pegs for the driver), and if so...where would be a good place to mount them?

Alternately....has anyone considered fabricating some sort of arm rest for the passenger seat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifema...7602277631485/

These move the front edge forward 3-1/2 inches. And are a tad lower than the stock peg.

I've seen passenger peg lowering brackets for other bikes (like the FJR) but not seen any for the Vulcan. It might be possible to get them to work anyway.
Like these Expensive ones:
http://www.westendmotorsports.com/cu...t-p-19249.html

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Jack of all trades

if my wife's feet were any more forward she could shift and brake by herself.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
KM....those are the ones i was going to fabricate with slight modification to make them more "forward" with possibly a heel stop so she doesn't slide forward and kick the back of my legs

M_Angell.... you may have something there...I can relax my feet on the highway pegs and let her do the shifting...lol
problem is that she is vertically challenged...so prolly won't work
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
bump.....anyone ever thought about removable arm rests for the passenger on the VN750?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
kc bump.....anyone ever thought about removable arm rests for the passenger on the VN750?
...my wife would love arm rests !
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Jack of all trades

I thought that's what my shoulders were for...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
It would be easy to make a set of arm rests.. make a bracket that attaches to the back of the backrest wraps around at mid arm level. then make a plywood base for the pad... get some foam, cover board with foam and leather, attach to bracket

Something similar to this

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-06-2012 at 03:01 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
slim, that is one idea I had...but was thinking of a way to make them removable.
The other thought was utilizing the grab rails or the relocation brackets....maybe tying into the bolts for the saddle bag stays.

Either way, I want to be able to add and remove them easily.

BTW....as far as the passenger pegs go:
I went with the concept of removing the rubber pads and replacing them with an extended aluminum piece like Knifemaker had designed. I took that idea and fabricated a plate to fit snug onto the existing peg and notched the outside edge to lock it into place so it doesn't slide around and possibly snap the mounting screws (I know...over engineerded the damn thing). I also added a upside down "V" shaped toe/heel catch to the front so the wife's feet don't slide forward and off the boards when she needs to reposition or brace for a hard braking maneuver. She liked that she can either leave her feet flat or elevate her toes on the ridge, or even slide her feet more forward and rest on her heels. I plan on polishing the aluminum and cover the top surface with the 3M waterproof non-slip tape they make for outdoor steps or ladders with a sandpaper-ish surface.

I finished test fitting the passenger floorboards for the wife...she's a happy camper now.
I will post pics later.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Hey KC...why not a pair of these...you can clip em onto the frame wherever comfy....

...and Id be embarrassed to ride down the road with a contraption like that on the back (armrests)...bish wanna ride, bish better like the way it is, or buy me a full dresser, lol...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement