Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Just a regular guy

Caught in the rain

So, I got caught in the rain today. I was rather unprepared as I don't have a rain suit yet and only had a spare flannel shirt in my bag. Also, I had never ridden in the rain. Thankfully, it wasn't a downpour. But I was about 5 miles from home going mostly 45-55 miles per hour.

Do you guys carry rain gear with you all the time? How do you train yourself to ride wet?

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Heh, I got caught at work with a thunderstorm rolling through about 2 weeks ago. No rain suit. I waited until the worst of it was over and then rode the 28 miles home in a steady rain. Needless to say I was soaked, but over all it wasn't terrible.

I now have a set of Frogg Toggs. But I don't have saddle bags, so I just carry them in my back pack if there's a good chance of rain later that day. Haven't had to wear them yet though.

Edit: also, I got my Frogg Toggs at Open Road Leathers on Beach Blvd. They have a good selection and they are about the price as what I was finding online.

Last edited by Deviate; 06-19-2012 at 06:25 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Just a regular guy

I don't have saddle bags either. I have a motorcycle back pack that straps to my sissy bar. I might have to check those out. How did you size them?

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I got bags but rarely carry raingear. If it rains, I get wet. During the summer this can be a good thing. (mesh ain't waterproof...lol)

If it's raining hard in the morning, I take the car. If I am on the bike and it rains coming home, that's fine. It's likely cooler than if it wasn't....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Looks like the two previous posters (excluding knifemaker) have been caught in the same rain I have been, Im on the westside of Jax near Orange Park. Ive been caught in the rain several times coming home from work (2:30 pm) And we know what happens in north florida about 2:30-3:00.
Dont have a rain suit so I put my wallet in a plastic bag. Of course the wife makes me get naked in the garage as she hands me a towel.
One thing to remember when the roads are wet, those heavy painted lines at the intersections can be very slippery.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM

I'm a fair weather, daytime rider. With that said , sometimes wet and darkness are unavoidable. I carry a lightweight rain jacket in my bags, but no rainpants. My windshield also helps. If there is a more than 20-30% chance of thunderstorms, I take the cage, 'cause if I take the bike, it becomes 100% chance of rain go figure
Che

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris32250 View Post
I don't have saddle bags either. I have a motorcycle back pack that straps to my sissy bar. I might have to check those out. How did you size them?
I just went in there and tried them on over my jeans. I got large so I could make sure they would fit over my jacket and jeans.

ifixf18s, no doubt about the weather around here. How hard is it to be a weatherman in Jax in the summer? "Today there is a 80% chance of afternoon thunderstorms and highs in the 90's."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Jack of all trades

I just got caught in the rain yesterday on my way home from work. At least it was on my way home and not on my way to work. I don't carry rain gear so I just put my phone in my vest pocket and ride as carefully as I can.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

I'll ride through just about anything. And yes I carry a rain suit in my bag. Here are my tips: keep your bike in top condition. Brakes, tires, lights. You have to be confident in your bike. Don't ride beyond your ability. It's OK to push the envelope and try something new, thats how we grow in our abilities, but you have to know where the envelope is. that's number one for me. Beyond the Zen, you need technique. Remember wet pavment has 80% the traction of a dry road. Remember that wet brakes need a longer lead time. In general, follow the car tire path in front of you closest to the crown. Reduce speed and easy on the brakes/throttle. Common sense stuff.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Ndr

I've been lucky enough to not get caught in the rain on the Vulcan yet. However, when my only bike was the Rebel, I got caught out several times. The best was trying to get home some southern West Virginia back up to Pittsburgh. The day varied from torrential downpours to steady rain. Turned what should have been a 6 hour day of back country roads into over 12 hours. At the end of the day I was soaked to the bone, cold, and tired, but would have happily done it all again.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement