mirror vibration - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

mirror vibration

Ive tried some rubber washers and that didnt seem to help to much. To make mister KM happy, I may put my stock mirrors back on just to check for a difference, but if not..
what else can be tried to eliminate mirror vibration

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I put stock mirrows back on and saw a noticeable difference! Plus now I like stock better than after market!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM

I despise (loathe entirely!!!!) the stock round mirrors. I just put the emgo lil' cruiser mirrors on mine and haven't noticed much vibration yet. But I've only ridden around the neighborhood so far.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:55 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Oh Well, as always to each our own!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdave View Post
Ive tried some rubber washers and that didnt seem to help to much. To make mister KM happy, I may put my stock mirrors back on just to check for a difference, but if not..
what else can be tried to eliminate mirror vibration

Not sure why I'd be happy about it, but some mirrors just don't work as well as others. Even the stock mirrors seem to have a spot in the rpm range where they vibrate some.

I used some Emego teardrops that worked well. They sell rubber mirror mounts, but everyone that's tried them on the Vulcan reported they just made things worse.

Make sure your steering head bearings are torqued right and try moving the handlebars back or forward a little bit and make sure you tighten the bar clamp evenly.

Do your mirrors have a mirror that is separate from an outer shell? These tend to vibrate badly compared to ones that are a solid housing/shell with a mirror glued in.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

didnt think about the handlebar clamp.. i'll check that.. these mirrors were pretty cheap on ebay, i think the mirror is seperate from the housing

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
didnt think about the handlebar clamp.. i'll check that.. these mirrors were pretty cheap on ebay, i think the mirror is seperate from the housing
OK. Not sure the best way to do this as not familiar with what you have.... But a rider on another forum said he "injected" some spray in insulating foam ( the kind you can buy in a can) between the mirror and the inside of the housing.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
OK. Not sure the best way to do this as not familiar with what you have.... But a rider on another forum said he "injected" some spray in insulating foam ( the kind you can buy in a can) between the mirror and the inside of the housing.
If you go this route, you might want to also cover up the foam with a bead of silicone as this type of foam will start to rot/break apart rather quickly once it gets wet.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
hey dave, i bought some $20 mirrors at the local bike shop years ago, they vibrated sooooo bad they were worthless. they took them on return, with the agreement that i get a credit instead of a refund, since i had installed them. fair enough, i thought. i spent a good hour looking over all their mirrors, hated the shape of them all (maltese crosses and tear drops just aren't for me!) and finally the counter guy says "come look at the kuryakyn catalogue" so i picked out the largest ovals kury makes, they special ordered them, cost me $100! i figured they would be the only high dollar mirrors i would ever have. guess what, they vibrate as bad as the cheap ones. i thought lots of money would solve the problem, it didn't. last year my bike rolled forward when parked, and i busted one (although i did get a new stem for $20). my stock mirrors don't vibrate so much.

i kind of forgot about it, until i was doing some planning on a rd350 "rat rod" build. one of the people really active in rd350 restorations is an hour away, he has a bike shop that specializes in the old buggers, well he sells a thingy called "handlebar snake" and swears it has made a night and day difference in the comfort of his own rd350 (2 stroke 2 cylinder street bikes that are kinda like a swarm of pissed off bumble bees and known for vibration, causing the hands to tingle really bad). i have no idea if they are worth the money, or work, but here it is for y'all to ponder:

http://www.barsnake.com/

no endorsement on my end! haven't ridden a bike so equipped yet! and probably a mild pain to install! anyways just more info for the info pool!

cheers, john

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Well if you don't get'em fixed, just come and sit on my Sportster and look in the mirrows... Them you may be happier with them...lol......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement