Clothing out of place? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Clothing out of place?

So, just curious what others on here wear and think about protective gear. I have a feeling that what I wear doesn't really look like it fits on a cruiser style bike. I have the Tourmaster Air Intake 3 jacket in silver/black, a full face helmet with skulls and bones on it, full finger gloves, jeans and black Dr. Marten boots (looking for some new riding boots). I feel like that would look more at home on a sport bike, but that's what I'm comfortable in. Am I the only one like that?

When I first started talking about getting a bike I was planning on the half helmet (German style) and leathers, but that's not what I'm comfortable in. To be perfectly honest, I could care less what people think about how I dress on the bike or off, but just curious if there is anyone else out there like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 PM
MrSkydriver

Exclamation Clothing out of place?

I'm more into safety rather than looking cool...I guess that happens when you get old (read more mature)....

I wear a leather Scooter jacket unless it's hot and then it's a vented jacket with protection. Leather chaps, full face modular helmet, polarized sun glasses, leather gloves and motorcycle boots. If you've ever laid your bike down, you know why I wear chaps and a leather jacket....

Dress the way you want, unless you like your skin then wear what will protect it........

Oh, BTW I wear the same equip. on my Ninja!

2006 Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9
AGM Interstate CycleTron II
Saddle Bags
Natl. Cycle Deflector Screen
SilverStar Headlight 9003/H2 H4
Ext. Back Rest
Marbled
R/R relocation
Digital Volt Meter 5 IN 1
Engine Guard w/pegs
ProTac Back Rest
Trunk (not installed)
Pickup coil mod
Metzler ME 880 Marathon
front: 110/90 - 19 rear: 170/80 - 15
MCCT
Kury grips

Hopefull:
Nice Lady on the back...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM

I haven't had this bike that long so don't really have any gear, I have my Frank thomas textiles that do ok and I have full faced helmets, the thing is I have been using yellow/black IXXS leathers because I also ride a Yam Fazer 1000 and I have always been equiped for sport type bikes, but like you I don't really care what others think and if the urge takes me I will put on the yellow leathers and ride the VN in those.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'm pretty much an ATGATT kinda guy. Armored jacket, pants, armored gloves, full face helmet. I don't dress to impress, I dress to save my ass....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Just a regular guy

I haven't had the bike long enough, or the money to "outfit" myself according to others' standards. I wear whatever I have on plus a half helmet and some full gloves. I don't dress to impress, I dress to feel comfortable. I agree with projection. But I live in Florida where it is 90 degrees out most days. If I have to wear that much protection, I would not be comfortable on the bike and end up not riding as much.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you Chris. Summers are brutal here. That's why I got the mesh jacket so the wind can flow through it.

KM, I completely believe in ATGATT as well, I just haven't found the pants that wouldn't give me a heat stroke yet, so I've stuck with jeans so far.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 PM

it doesn't matter HOW you look, as long as you are comfortable and safe! i wear jeans, cordura chaps at times, a fieldsheer mesh jacket i got for $60 on clearance (love it!), and "cop" boots. i wear fingerless gloves, which in my opinion look stupid as hell, like some kinda billy idol wanna-be, but they make a huge difference, and keep my hands from tingling... as well as give me at least palm protection in a crash. the nebraska summers are brutal, 100* and 98% humidity is common. a half helmet about half the time, a bandana the other half. and one thing no ones mentioned, LOTS of sunscreen. keep a big bottle in my side bag. with my gasketed biker sunglasses, i look like a racoon if i forget sunscreen! you don't have to spend a lot of money on gear. i have never liked leather at all, cordura is much cheaper, and has armor. i found some sweet cordura chaps made in colorado.

http://www.coloradochaps.com/miva/me...tegory_Code=MC

they will alter them if you get them and they don't fit. i had a local sewing shop double stitch the knees and it cost $10. i may get some of their spat chaps, $60 is cheap. the regular chaps hook around your pants belt and have a full zipper, so easy on and off. and they have an elastic stirrup strap so they won't billow. good stuff and all pretty cheap, maybe $300 for all including the helmet.

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Bat
Bat

I agree, it doesn't matter how you look if you get the "look" you want...or not.
I wear a First Gear mesh jacket in bright yellow and gray with armor; gray leather chaps I made and love; Harley boots (thick soles help me reach the ground better); bright yellow, black, gray and white full-face helmet; gloves, either lightweight leather or kevlar or with a squeegee on the first finger or fingerless or...yes, I have a glove fetish!
It all goes well with my black and silver 2005 Vulcan 750, and I am pretty visible with the bright yellow clothing and helmet, with piping that glows in the headlights. Nobody has ever said I look dumb in my gear, so I guess I pass muster ok.
Bat
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

I guess another way to look at it is if I people see me and think I look out of place on a cruiser, at least they SEE me. I kind of figured I would get responses like these on here. Just had to ask since my wife has made a couple of comments, heh.

I'm all for her wearing the leather if she wants. I might even let her ride on the bike with it on.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
KM, I completely believe in ATGATT as well, I just haven't found the pants that wouldn't give me a heat stroke yet, so I've stuck with jeans so far.
I wear these in the summer:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/fiel...-40-mesh-pants

They are actually cooler than jeans. Good armor and adjustable knee pads.(a plus if you have short legs)

I just wear boxers under them. I did take out the hip padding as it was a bit hot, but these and my mesh jacket are my hot weather gear.

For gloves, I wear vented golf gloves. You have to buy the left and right hand separately, but they are light weight, cool and have great dexterity.

I always wear a full face helmet. If you ever happen to be in the emergency room and see them bring in a biker that landed face down in a crash. You'll never wear anything less.......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-25-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement