Opinions on Tour Master bags? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on Tour Master bags?

Hello all,

I am considering replacing the bags that came with the bike when I got it last year for ones which are in better condition, with greater capacity, which are hopefully removeable. It is not important that they are leather or leather-like.

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Lug...lant-Saddlebag

I came across these bags (available in 3 sizes) from Tour Master and was curious what the group's opinions are on the following points:

1) Overall satisfaction and reputation of Tour Master? If these work out there may be a t-bag from them in my future

2) Max size without relocation brackets? I'd rather not get the brackets if I don't have to but I will if it just makes sense.

3) Max size, with our without relo brackets, if I want to have a passenger with the bags on the bike

Thanks

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
New-to-me extended backrest 5/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
All I can help you with is saying that out of the few things I have made by Tourmaster, they are all well thought out, and well made. I have their pants, a jacket and a tank bag, and all are good quality items.

I know their sportbike bags are well received in the sport bike world.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...I think I figured it out

Thanks Knifemaker.

I ordered the XL bags last night from Jafrum and the F&S relo kit from Accessories4bikes.com. I hope my reasoning holds and I didn't buy bags which are too large.

Elsewhere on the forum there is a post from someone who provided extremely detailed images of how he mounted the Mutaza GA hard bags using the same relo kit. From what I can surmise, between the room between the turn signals and where a passengers calves would naturally tend to rest I think there is room for up to 2" more bag than the Mutaza, which is 17" long

The TourMaster bags I ordered are 18.5" long and are soft-sided so there ought to be sufficient room for bags and passenger. If it turns out that the bags occasionally are problematic in their size (95% of the time I am the only one aboard anyway) I can easily remove them, they zip off.

I am very excited to get these on the bike. If I can only find a luggage rack I would be all set!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Replaced driveshaft coupler and final drive-- ignored the spline lube recommendation too long and got burned 8/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
All I can help you with is saying that out of the few things I have made by Tourmaster, they are all well thought out, and well made. I have their pants, a jacket and a tank bag, and all are good quality items.

I know their sportbike bags are well received in the sport bike world.
I am going to give a second thumbs up on Tourmaster,and Cortech which is a line of Tourmaster products.Very durable good zippers,and just good quality throughout. I have one of their expandable tail bags and it is geared toward a sport bike but sits on my rack well and,I also had a set of the Saddlebags but they were a little smaller than I wanted but I had no Issues with them either.

I believe you will be well satisfied.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Garage
I keep looking at the Tour master bags myself. I think the soft bags are nice looking and made very well.

As far as fit, The height should be adjustable by shortening the yoke under the seat....correct me if I am wrong.
The width concerns me a bit , but the yoke once again can be positioned under the seat a bit further forward if needed....again...correct me if I am wrong.

My main concern is the depth for the bags. I would like to get the biggest bags I can fit on the bike, but not sure if they would sag if they extend out too far.

Matt: please report back and let me know how they fit and look. maybe upload a photo if you can...much appreciated!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes, of course I will post...

I am eager to get these babies on the bike, and I will certainly post when I am done. The bags should be here by the weekend but unfortunately I am only 50% confident at best that the relo kit will be here before next week so my complete capsule may be a while before it is ready.

I was supremely impressed by and grateful for the comprehensive and helpful thread by Sloppyburpfest at https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=mutazu and would like to provide the same type of review for these bags.

As a Vulcan newbie, and someone who has never wrenched on bikes before except to change his oil, this forum has been of immeasurable help in providing me with the knowledge necessary to accomplish many tasks and the comfort in knowing that if I don't know somehting that I can ask...and I would like to give back in that spirit :-)

Cheers,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

cool! I've been thinking about getting some bigger bags too. I was just at the Iron Pony last week and I look at a bunch of bags. but I kept coming back to those TourMaster bags. I really liked them. great! now I'll get even more info on them!
I love this forum!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 01:15 AM

i had medium tourmaster box bags, decided to get new ones. the slash cuts are about the same sized as the box ones. the mediums fit ok with the rear blinkers in the stock location. i am putting new blinkers on front and rear as i am tired of them sagging, and snapping off 500 miles from home. had 3 sets on so far. so i thought, may as well relocate them at the same time, to rear plate as all modern bikes are so equipped to accomadate saddlebags.

here are the extra large tourmaster slants... as you can see, they don't fit well. too long. they could be slid forward a bit, but then will run downhill. the shock nut and the rear blinker hole are covered by the harness.

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 AM

i would have loved to use the extra large slash cuts, but i just have to face the fact that the vn750 has a platform on the small side. the extra larges may fit the vn1500/1600 well, but not the lil' cruiser i have.

so here are the large tourmaster slant cuts. a much better fit... no puckering of the harness, the shock top nuts are clear for a back rest, but the stock rear blinker holes are STILL COVERED. it won't matter to me as i am relocating the blinkers, but there is the answer to "what size will fit". i am keeping the larges. i am also going to try and pull off the sissy bar and place the diamond shaped cut out in the harness over the sissy bar base, it will move tha bags back about 3". in any case i think you will want to put saddlebag supports on. i am replacing my "flat" ones with an offset pair that hold the bags out past the shocks better.

will post pics later of the finished product, been pretty busy as i am heading to illinois this weekend to get another "new" vn750 from a really nice guy named jim

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Just what I was looking for-- thanks!

This write up was very helpful, thanks!

I talked myself into the XL bags and ordered them already but I hadn't taken into account how the harness/yoke would fit around stuff. When the bags arrive and I put them on and over the relo kit and support bracket I will know if they have to be returned for the next size down. I hope I can keep these, now that I have seen pix of the actually on the bike they seem to be just as big as I had hoped (so hard to visualize from just the dimensions).

Cheers,

Matt

Matt
Passaic County, NJ
1994 VN 750
April 2011- 30K miles
TOC MCCT 4/2012
Tourmaster bags 5/2012
Back on the Road 9/2012
De-POOGSed 6/2013
NGK Iridium Plugs 7/2013
New AGM battery 4/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement