DIY Luggage Rack - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
DIY Luggage Rack

So, since finding a luggage rack brand new for our bikes seems to be all but impossible (excluding of course the over priced ones on eBay) I decided to start building one for myself.

Unfortunately, I do not weld. So to make something that works, I went with a piece of flat steel bar 1" wide and 1/8" thick. I'm using the bolts that attache the sissy bar to the grab bar as mounting points and bending the bar around the toolbox.

At the moment, I am missing the back half of the toolbox and have one on order soon to be delivered, so I am waiting on this to come in to proceed to the next steps. Once I have the toolbox in place, I will be able to measure for placement of the crossbars as well as figure out how much of the back lip of the tool box I will need to shave out to accommodate the steel bar.

he crossbars will be the same 1/8" steel bar with tabs bent down and holes drilled and taped to be able to thread in a 6mm bolt to hold wither end in place.

then of course once assembled, primed and painted. I may or may not bondo over all of the dents and dings from the hammer blows.













......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
So, since finding a luggage rack brand new for our bikes seems to be all but impossible (excluding of course the over priced ones on eBay) I decided to start building one for myself.

Unfortunately, I do not weld. So to make something that works, I went with a piece of flat steel bar 1" wide and 1/8" thick. I'm using the bolts that attache the sissy bar to the grab bar as mounting points and bending the bar around the toolbox.

At the moment, I am missing the back half of the toolbox and have one on order soon to be delivered, so I am waiting on this to come in to proceed to the next steps. Once I have the toolbox in place, I will be able to measure for placement of the crossbars as well as figure out how much of the back lip of the tool box I will need to shave out to accommodate the steel bar.

he crossbars will be the same 1/8" steel bar with tabs bent down and holes drilled and taped to be able to thread in a 6mm bolt to hold wither end in place.

then of course once assembled, primed and painted. I may or may not bondo over all of the dents and dings from the hammer blows.












pretty good smithing skills even if you don't weld,dress the hammer marks with a flat file and spray it with a primer/filler and then wet sand it and then paint.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
pretty good smithing skills even if you don't weld,dress the hammer marks with a flat file and spray it with a primer/filler and then wet sand it and then paint.
Cool, thanks for the tip.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
here is my solution... 197? GL luggage rack



still working on the final mounting brackets so i can loose the stock fender struts and back rest.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
Looks pretty cool. I opted to keep the stock seat and extended sissy bar that came with the bike in part because its part of the look I like about the bike, and also less money that I have to spend on stuff...

Unfortunately though, I may have to wait to finish my rack. I pretty much shattered the base of my bench vice from all the hammering. But then, I guess that's what I get for using a $20 vice as an anvil...

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
stock seat will still be able to go on.. that is why the stock extended back rest is there.. Personally don't like the stock seat. but I wanted to make this mod easy enough that a guy with out any skills could bolt it up.. so far I think I have accomplished that. btw... I have 50 bucks invested in my seat, luggage rack, and my KF&S extended backrest. so al lin all its a very cheap mod.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
btw... I have 50 bucks invested in my seat, luggage rack, and my KF&S extended backrest. so al lin all its a very cheap mod.
That's not bad at all. I spent almost that much buying a new piece of vinyl to recover the seat. I figure the luggage rack to cost me about $20 in materials, and I'm also looking at putting together a pair of lower deflectors to mount on the forks. That should be around another $15-20.

So far I like the stock seat, seems fairly comfortable, but I haven't had a chance for a long ride yet. The most I've put in in one go is 60 miles.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
the stock seat was fine for me... I could have left it... but i couldn't stretch out far enough... the seat i made dropped me down about 1 1/2" and backwards about 6-8". now i feel like I have forward controls even though they are standard mids.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
Finally Finished...

I still need to retouch the paint after drilling the two holes in the center cross bar last minute. Will use the holes to mount a sissy bar bacg to the rack, and perhaps in the future a trunk.

Not happy with the gloss black. will likely redo it in flat black, if I can get over being too lazy to pull it back off the bike.

Also, I'm thinking that I may relocate the helmet locks to the sides of the rack.






......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
kc2dgq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,350
iTrader: (13)
 
Garage
looks good....nice idea.

Just curious about your red lenses on the rear blinkers.....did you convert to running lights? if so, what type did you install.
kc2dgq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome