Busy day, cut down my Plexistar - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Busy day, cut down my Plexistar

I've been wanting to cut down my windscreen, and since I had it off to change my speedo & tach I gave it a shot. I figured 2" would be a good place to start, I could always do more later.
Made a template of the top edge and traced it onto masking tape, then cut along the line and the rest is history.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Good looking, I did mine as well.
Makes a big difference.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Garage
I cut mine a while back. I have since raised the mounting of the whole windshield in alignment with the grips to keep the wind off my hands on those cold and rainy days. The problem now is that I have to trim a bit more off the top so I can see over the windshield rather than through it for those night time and rainy days riding.

Just curious what you used to cut it, and how did you finish the edges?

I also noticed that the way the brackets are mounted to the handlebars is similar to how others have them...which is how it was designed...lol The "knobs" are turned inward. I found that to be annoying because it hindered the view to the dash instruments for me.

I mounted mine with the "knobs" on the outside of the handlebars. It kinda puts the top ball joint connection to the windshield in a funny position, but it works for me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM

I have a PF3. I find the top edge of the shield is in my line of view if I'm doing anything but riding in a straight line, at which time I'm looking through the shield. Thinking of cutting it down, but hate to lose the wind protection it currently provides. Not even so much the wind protection, per se, but the absence of helmet buffeting. When you all cut your windshields, did you end up with more buffeting?

Redbike/Johnny Wannabe
My mind says sport bike, my body says cruiser.
..my mind won: 2006 Z750S.
Lowered
Genmar handle bar risers
Buell mirrors
ZG DB screen
K+N air filter
LED tail lights and turn signals
Hugger
Givi hard bags
Sliders
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:16 PM

IMO, the best height for a windshield is "even with your mouth". Very few are optically perfect enough to actually view thru, unless ya spend bigbucks.
Main purpose of a bike windshield is just that, to DEFLECT the wind, not totally block it. Too tall, you'll likely get turbulence as well. Mine was cut down to mouth level (I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel), and works fine. I DO however get an updraft from below which blows my beard up into my face (windshield doesnt go much lower than bottom of headlight). I sometimes tie it off with a hairtie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement