Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

UCLEAR HBC 100 Writeup

Hey All-

As promised I am doing a little write up on the bluetooth headset UCLEAR that I purchased about a month ago. The retail for about $180.00.

What first attracted me to UCLEAR was the fact it does not use a boom mic.. Thats right... The microphone and the speaker are one in the same.

When I first opened UCLEAR I immediately put it on the charger and it was ready to go in about 2 hours.

The contents of the package were pretty simple, it had a couple of speakers that attach via wires to a main controller. Installation was pretty simple.. They give you two options to mount... One way is a very heavy duty clip and the other is a super adhesive which is what I used. You can click on the link above and it will show you the installation in detail.

The speakers go into the ear cavity of your helmet. They use a velcro/sticky to stay in place. You can easily run the wires under the lining and out the side to the main unit. Installation took me about 15 - 20 minutes and thats only because I was being extremely careful to do it right.

Next I paired UCLEAR with my iphone.. Extremely simple.. Took seconds.

Now I was ready to ride... So I slap my helmet it and off I went.

I first tried listening to music. Woaaaa.. it was loud.. I cut it down to about
70% at 55-60mph speeds and raise it to 85-90% when I went faster. The quality here was great. Simply Great. With a quick double tap on the play button the music automatically started while I was on the road and I had no complaints.....

About 5 minutes down the road my brother called me... I simply said "Hello" and it answered the call.. I talked to my brother for about 5 minutes before letting him know I was driving 60mph on my motorcycle.. He was blown away. He had no idea I was on my motorcycle.. He did say.. that I sounded "Different" but he could here me extremely well...

Now let me take a side note on the phone conversations.. You can here PERFECTLY.. its very loud... But I did have to work a little bit to make sure I was speaking clearly. What I mean is that my helmet is VERY tight.. Maybe slightly too tight and it pushes my cheeks in.. So It made it harder to form my words.. When I took my time to make sure I was speaking clearly there was NO Issues with them hearing me.. If I talked to fast I became a little garbled and would have to repeat myself.

So far not 1 person I spoke too believed me when I said I was on my motorcycle driving... And for anyone who is interested in the system I would be happy to set up a time where you could call me while I am driving and see for yourself how it sounds.

I have foudn 2 drawbacks of the UCLEAR system. The first is the way it feels against my ears... Again I think this is because my helmet is super tight on me.. But it is "uncomfortable" if I don't get it positions well on my head. Since the speakers are in your ear cavity.. Your ears press agains them pretty easily.

The second drawback is signal strength. You need to put your phone as close to your helmet as possible to ensure a clear signal. At first I would put it in my front right jacket pocket and since the receiving unit was on the left of my helmet I would get "skipping" in my music. Once I started putting my phone in the left top pocket of my jacket this problem went away. I emailed UCLEAR and they informed me the bluetooth signal the Iphone sent out was not as strong as other phones(True or not true? I don't care). Either way I fixed the issue.

If you had a helmet built for bluetooth or just a little bigger I don't think this would be an issue.. I have been looking at a Nolan helmet that I think will help me out in terms of comfort.

Lastly... The unit has three buttons that take a little getting used to pressing when you have motorcycle gloves on... At first I did not like it but now I can press them with no problems. Just like most things.. Takes a little getting used too.

Please remember as you read my review that I have NEVER tried any other form of motorcycle communication as I have only been riding for 8 months or so. I am just stating I do not have a frame of reference to compare this unit to.

Am I happy with the purchase? Absolutely. I am glad I purchased it and use it every time I get on my bike.. I have a 20 minutes ride to work down some nice quiet backroads and it is great. My lady loves it because she can call me if she needs something on my way home.

I will not get into the debate of if its safe or not.. You can decide for yourself if you feel this is something you could use and safely drive.

Let me know if you all have any questions..

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards

Last edited by MaDeInSin; 09-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Good write up,I have in helmet speakers(wired) and I like them pretty well.me and another friend I ride with have been considering a communicator set.I looked a the Scala rider and was thinking about those but another friend and his brother bought a set last year and liked them . I talked to him the other day and he now says they drop calls and don't stay connected to each other like they did when new.Could be a battery problem or only one unit not functioning as it should.For a 5 hundred dollar investment I would like to get more than one season of dependability .

I like the no mic feature as well .I ride by myself often and have an Android phone with the Turn by Turn GPS feature that takes priority over the MP3 player when a turn comes up,so I think that these would work well with that too.

Let us know more after a month or so ,are you still very pleased with them or not.I may have my own before then any way.Thanks for the review ,I like hearing from someone familiar better than a "generic someone, from somewhere".Good job.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Thanks for the write up.....although my primary intrest is in how it works as a passenger intercom.

As for this :
"I have foudn 2 drawbacks of the UCLEAR system. The first is the way it feels against my ears... Again I think this is because my helmet is super tight on me.. But it is "uncomfortable" if I don't get it positions well on my head. Since the speakers are in your ear cavity.. Your ears press agains them pretty easily."

I had the same issue with my Scala system speakers. They too used Velcro tabs the hold them in. Finally I got annoyed enough I took them out and studied them. When the two pieces of Velcro attach, they still create almost a 1/4 inch of space between the speaker back and the surface it's mounted to.

So, I then removed the Velcro thingy off the back of the speaker and tried glueing it down to my workbench usuing silicone adhesive. The gap was way less than a tenth of wn inch..... Bond was strong but with effort could be pulled apart.

Do I yanked the corrisponding Velcro circle out of my helmet and after lightly roughing up the back of the speakers with 220 grit, I glued them in using the silicone. I had to rig a clamp to hold the speaker while the glue dried...making me do each one separately for lack of room. But, when done, I no longer felt the speaker touching my ear.

When I rook the speakers out months later, just a firm pull got them out and left no residue in the helmet.

FYI

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-27-2012 at 02:42 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Garage
Thanks for the write up..always good to get the feedback from actual users of this stuff!

I had similar experiences with speakers in the helmets bothering my ears, and like KM, I altered mine to make it work. I also had a boom mic attached with velcro to the side of my helmet, which worked, but drew too much attention in my opinion. I like the idea of no mic boom....just have to see if I can somehow adapt a blue tooth to one of my amateur radios.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Denny6006- Appreciate the feedback.. The Scala Rider was the other one I was considering when KM pointed me to this one.. Not having to mess with that boom mike is def what made me opt for it. The android phones def have a better navigational system than the iphone...(off subject lol) I will def follow up and let you know how it continues to work.

Knifemaker- I my initial plan was to get two of these units for me and my lady to talk... but then she got all knocked up... I just don't see her riding too much until after the baby despite the doctor telling her its safe.. We are going to Atlantic City with my brother on our bikes (First real road trip) but I can't justify spending the 200 bucks for 1 or two trips...

Thanks for the heads up regarding some different ways to mount the speaker system.. I will def look at that this evening and see what I can work out.. I just assumed my helmet was too tight prior to your input.

Kc2dgq - Your welcome.. I know that all of these sites have "reviews" but I am always wary of if they are true or falsified.. I def like it when people review things here as well. Makes me feel more comfortable about it..

I'll def take your guys advice regarding mounting them differently..

Cheers All!

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM

It's been almost 2 years since you gave this review. Do you still use the same Uclear system? Still working (assuming you do)?

I was looking at the different Uclear models today. I would like to get one sometime soon.

...of course I supposed I need to get a helmet that would accommodate the system first....

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I too would like to hear a follow up on these. I keep getting Cycle Gear catalogs showing these units for sale and this spring was hoping to score one.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I don't have the UClear, but since we are talking Bluetooth headsets. I got a Sena SMH5 for Christmas. Today is my first time riding with it, I give it 5 stars so far. Mine has a boom mike but the music sound quality is great the phone over ride feature and intercom which is wireless and will talk up to 300 ft in the real world works well too. after you pair it up with anything it will remember it and you don't have to pair it again. Ifd the other unit you are paired with gets out of range it will search for it for a while every eight seconds and makes an audible beep so you know it is searching. It will do this for a while and then stop until you are back in close enough proximity to the other one and then if you hit the intercom button it will pair itself back up.My Android phone paired effortlessly the first time and now whenever I turn the headset on it pairs back up automatically.Call clarity on the phone is great,the intercom sounds a little like talking on a two way radio,good enough and loud enough to hear at unreasonable speeds. Half volume on the mp3 player in the phone is good to 70 mph and I can't make enough noise on my 1500 with Cobra Speedster shorts to ever drown it out.The control is one rotary knob that gloved hands can feel and it is the only button used for the majority of the time. tap it in once for intercom,rotate it for volume, push it in and turn at the same time and it will change tracks on the mp3. It will pair with up to four devices at one time. Here is the kicker,they are right around 100 bucks. My phone is on the handle bar mount and there is no problem with it staying connected up to 10 to 12 feet away. Gps is on my phone , the weather app gives me alerts. So all I need to do is buy a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into my stereo on my bike or XM radio and I can have it all in one neat little package, that is so simple ,even this caveman can operate it mostly hands free for the most part after you set it to whatever you want before taking off. the smartphone does the priorities for it, Phone calls top ,GPS next and music third, I really don't know what priority the weather app is assigned. All i need to do is look at the book to set the headset to VOX for incoming calls and just answer it ,if I want to reject it just remain silent and it will go back to music.

I'll get back to you a little later in the season to report on durability and battery life it claims 8 hrs.but it is able to work and charge at the same time if it does get weak. More later after I have monkeyed around with the settings some. So far I like it

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 02-20-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

fyi: MaDeInSin had a MC accident 1.5 years ago (wrecked his bike on a corner, broke his arm), gave up his newly found pleasure, and sold his bike after the new family member arrival (1st baby).

hth

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 02-20-2014 at 07:48 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
As long as he's ok.tell him our thoughts are with him and don't be a stranger
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340