VN750A15 Crash Bars - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

VN750A15 Crash Bars

Has anyone added crash bars to their VN750A15 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Calif Rider

I would say that about 1/4th of the members have done it. Some have stock bars and some have made their own. So why are you asking?

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyowl View Post
Has anyone added crash bars to their VN750A15 ?
I think 1/4 is abit high. Now....what are you calling "crash bars"?

Kaw sold "engine guards" which are basically small cages that go around the sides of the engine cases. Nice to put pegs on, but if you drop a 750 it really does not need any protection for the motor as being a V twin it just does not stick out that much.

Now... Wingerline? Used to sell big police style guards. These are much better for adding highway pegs to, but again don't really "guard" anything unless you knock over the bike in the garage.

CHIPS did a study on crash bars back when they switched from HDs to Kawasaki KZ 1000s..... And found that rider injuries moved from lower leg to more severe hip fractures, and that repair costs to the bike were greater with the bar in place. ( this mostly do to the bar making the bike roll over in a crash instead of just slide on one side)

They kept the bars on only because they needed a place to mount sirens and lights .....and adjusted their training to teach their officers how to avoid injury if they went down.

There are still sellers on eBay now and then selling the wingerline bars, which seem to vary alot quality wise. Kaw engine guards are a bit easier to come across. Not sure if they are still available from Kawasaki ...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I agree with Knife the Kawi engine guard does not do much except for looks and to hang highway pegs on. I do have one on mine. Somewhere along the line engine guard, highway bar and crash bar kind of all got put in the same pot. I would also say that the average "JOE" out here does not go so much for the safety aspect but more for looks.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Well first all, the reason I'm asking is I have tried all supplies and can not find one made for the VN75015A. I would like to know where to find one. Second the crash bars or highway bars or what ever you wish to call them may not give much protection for the engine, however as you get up into age as I am, you find that the bike is much easier to get under and pick up in case of a drop, also the 750 will lay flat on the ground inwhich makes it very hard to pick up as well as flooding the carb and laying flat will also cause the oil pump to stop pumping as well. If it is not swithched off immediately it will ruin a good engine.
I would hope to get some idea as to where to locate a pair that would fit. Ebay only has them for the 800's and up, never for the 750.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Big Dumb Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via MSN to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
This is what I have on mine:

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant...w=&range_high=

-Az
http://www.asbrand.com

1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Upgrades so Far:
Coastered
R/R relocated
Analog Voltmeter
PFIII Windshield
RAM GPS Mount w/Garmin GPS
Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter
Saddlemen's Classic Explorer Seat
Pro-Tac Driver's Backrest
LED Tail Light
LED Rear Turn Signals
Luggage Rack
Storage Trunk
Engine Guard w/Highway Pegs
Radiator Grill Cover
Turn Signal Relocation Bracket
Saddlebags
Floorboards
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
romeobravo172

Evidently nobody makes them anymore, and most that you will see is the engine guard. They do pop up on here and E-bay ect and prices are all over the place. I personally think the guard is for nothing but looks and to hang foot pegs on, which I am looking for now. (highway pegs) I think KM just talked about this a day or so ago and made some great points.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 PM
romeobravo172

Asbrand-I like that much better than the normal "engine guard"!!!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM

asbrand you like the mustang seat on yours? Ever try the corbin? I just got the mustang seat to replace the corbin. A little too cold to be riding in my neck of the woods. Just curious if you ever compared them.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyowl View Post
Well first all, the reason I'm asking is I have tried all supplies and can not find one made for the VN75015A. I would like to know where to find one. Second the crash bars or highway bars or what ever you wish to call them may not give much protection for the engine, however as you get up into age as I am, you find that the bike is much easier to get under and pick up in case of a drop, also the 750 will lay flat on the ground inwhich makes it very hard to pick up as well as flooding the carb and laying flat will also cause the oil pump to stop pumping as well. If it is not swithched off immediately it will ruin a good engine.
I would hope to get some idea as to where to locate a pair that would fit. Ebay only has them for the 800's and up, never for the 750.
Oh.... Then what you need is this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2318240

One other way to avoid having to pick up your bike is to just not drop it.

Have you thought about a Trike? I hear they rarely fall over.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement