Windshield Bolts stuck - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Windshield Bolts stuck

I have a windshield for my 97 vn750 that I got from the previous owner and decided was going to put it on tonight. I was not sure if it was a 3.5 metric or 5/32 and think the previous owner was not sure either. Well I got one screw off with the washer to the right of the headlight using the 5/32 but after getting it out I am pretty sure it is supposed to be a 3.5 metric. It was rusted on and did not want to budge. But the one on the left refused to move. the 5/32 seemed a little loose and the 3.5 seems not too fit like a glove either, so it has already started to strip a little. Tried spraying some delocking bolt stuff a neighbor recommended. Also tried heating the bolt up with a lighter and a neighbor added extra heat with a blow torch he uses for his HVAC work paired with a star bit on a hammer drill because none of the metric wrenches seemed to fit. Well thought it moved for a second with all the heat and the torque star bit wedged in there, but it just stripped it. It is not a long screw but refused to on screw.

How am supposed to get that bolt out of there now?

Anyone know what screw is in there that I can buy as a replacement or best thing is go to homedepot with the one that I got out and hope to find one close. Why do they want metric instead of a philips screw driver size? It would be nice to get some chrome or stainless steel not the black ones that are on the bike.

Well hopefully someone here has some ideas because i am stuck now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

On my bike (2001) the barrel bolt that holds the windshield bracket to the headlight is 7/16. The screw only holds the bracket.The barrel bolt holds the bucket. Without a windshield the chrome bolt is 10 mm. Either way, just take out the headlight bulb and undo the nut on the inside of the headlight bucket that either bolt is attached to.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
On my bike (2001) the barrel bolt that holds the windshield bracket to the headlight is 7/16. The screw only holds the bracket.The barrel bolt holds the bucket. Without a windshield the chrome bolt is 10 mm. Either way, just take out the headlight bulb and undo the nut on the inside of the headlight bucket that either bolt is attached to.
If I am understanding you correctly. The headlight has two bolts on either side that is a hexagon barrel bolt shape, which has a small screw with a little round half circle mushroom tip head and a washer that is used to attach a windshield bracket. Since my small screw/washer is rusted shut I can un-screw the hexagon barrel bolt, which the stuck screw is attached?

That hexagon bolt is not attached to the head light preventing me from unscrewing it?

Sorry no pictures but assume a "***" is a threaded part of a screw and a "H" is the hexagon bolt and a "|" is a washer and a ")" is the small screw used to attach a windshield.
So i have:
headlight***** H ***|)
I can unscrew the "H ***|)"
leaving
headlight*****

Is this correct?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnGnts View Post
If I am understanding you correctly. The headlight has two bolts on either side that is a hexagon barrel bolt shape, which has a small screw with a little round half circle mushroom tip head and a washer that is used to attach a windshield bracket. Since my small screw/washer is rusted shut I can un-screw the hexagon barrel bolt, which the stuck screw is attached?

That hexagon bolt is not attached to the head light preventing me from unscrewing it?

Sorry no pictures but assume a "***" is a threaded part of a screw and a "H" is the hexagon bolt and a "|" is a washer and a ")" is the small screw used to attach a windshield.
So i have:
headlight***** H ***|)
I can unscrew the "H ***|)"
leaving
headlight*****

Is this correct?
I don't think you will be able to loosen the barrel bolt because the pressure of the small screw on the bracket would prevent this. It would normally unscrew. I still say take out the headlight bulb (only 2 screws) and back off the nuts holding the hexagon bolts to the headlight bucket. Nothing would be holding the hexagon bolt in then and would allow you to push it out. SORRY, I MISREAD your post. I thought you were trying to remove the windshield from the bike. You should be able to unscrew the barrel bolt from the screw by putting a 5/32 or 3.5mm hex key in the screw holding it with vice grips and turning the barrel bolt with a 7/16 wrench from the backside of the windshield.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

Last edited by JM2001; 09-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
I don't think you will be able to loosen the barrel bolt because the pressure of the small screw on the bracket would prevent this. It would normally unscrew. I still say take out the headlight bulb (only 2 screws) and back off the nuts holding the hexagon bolts to the headlight bucket. Nothing would be holding the hexagon bolt in then and would allow you to push it out.
OK makes sense. I miss read the part about taking out the bulb, but now reading this again I will try to go from the inside of the light housing by removing the bulb and hope it comes off no issues by removing those screws. Thanks again for the response. I hope to fix this today after work.

Last edited by GrnGnts; 09-14-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement