Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

saddle bags on 2006 vn750

I just got my 2006 vn750.

I have been looking at some saddlebags (online) and trying to learn. So far - from what I can tell - the turn signals will have to be moved further back to use bags. Is that correct?

Also - I see some bags require some type of frame to be mounted and some have the 'flap that goes under the seat I guess to connect the two. Or maybe all of them require frames (like I wrote - still learning).

I apologize for asking as I'm sure both of these have been asked before - but sometimes its exhausting searching through all the threads.

Thanks

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusjma View Post

I have been looking at some saddlebags (online) and trying to learn. So far - from what I can tell - the turn signals will have to be moved further back to use bags. Is that correct?

Also - I see some bags require some type of frame to be mounted and some have the 'flap that goes under the seat I guess to connect the two. Or maybe all of them require frames (like I wrote - still learning).

I apologize for asking as I'm sure both of these have been asked before - but sometimes its exhausting searching through all the threads.

Thanks

Jeff
If you get the smaller slanted bags you don't have to move the turn signals. You don't need support brackets either. Just lace them together under the seat.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the quick response JM2001!

dumb question - do the type that go under the seat pose any issues (security, fall off easily, etc)?

Can you recommend any (if you use them)?

Thanks again

Jeff

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:22 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:

Thanks

Jeff
Hi Jeff and welcome.

Are you wanting softbags or have you thought about hard bags at all. On mine,
I removed the original turn signals and put signals on the hard bags. That way if you decide later to take them off you can just reattach the originals. Just a thought. Mine are off (hopefully not permanently) because they need restoration. Ride safe and long
Dave.

Oh, don't feel you need to apologize. It's a fun place to talk about changes or upgrades you're planning to do to your bike, and a useful place when problems come up. You're not bothering anyone. Peace :-)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

That's an interesting idea about the bags also serving as the signals. I'll have to look for those to look at them.

Is that easy to do (remove the turn signals and make the connection on the hard bags)? I assume it's not.

Can you point me to a picture of those?

thanks again
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
That's an interesting idea about the bags also serving as the signals. I'll have to look for those to look at them.

Is that easy to do (remove the turn signals and make the connection on the hard bags)? I assume it's not.

thanks again
it's not that hard. If you look at my profile page you'll see them on the bike. My bags are by Shoei, and had a chrome (rust) cage around them that I quickly ripped of. They were beat to hell. Shoei's often have directionals built in but these were all busted up. 15 bucks got me new round signals that fit close enough that noone knew they weren't orig. Wiring them was just a matter of running 2 wires up to the connectors under the seat. I went a little further and put marker lights in the side that oscillated with the turn signals but that's not typical. So have a look at my V and also here's a link to some Shoei bags I found to give you an idea.http://forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=1926.0

Last edited by DavesVulster; 08-11-2011 at 11:18 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:

thanks again
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
Take a look at this link to see how sloppyburpfest put on hardbags with standoffs and signal relocation brackets.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9851

Mutazu hardbags:
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=10&s=prod.php
The LN and FY bags have lights on them and fit th vn750. They are narrower than the GA bags though.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 08-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM

As far as the slant bags go, they were fine on mine. Didn't move the turn signals, but the back part of the bag also didn't lift all the way up. Wasn't really any problem for me as I didn't carry a lot of stuff in them anyway.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:40 PM

I have leather bags and no brackets. They lay under the seat and are tight so don't need brackets. I also didn't need to relocate the turn signals. My bags are slanted and I don't use them unless traveling. Have fun
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halinski View Post
I have leather bags and no brackets. They lay under the seat and are tight so don't need brackets. I also didn't need to relocate the turn signals. My bags are slanted and I don't use them unless traveling. Have fun
I like the idea of that. Keep it lean and mean until you need to go some distance, then adapt as needed. . What's the brand your using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement