Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Ok an update.
I used a 5-minute epoxy (clear), and some special blue masking painters tape.
I taped up the front side of the cover, and flipped it over, and began to fill the cutout with the clear epoxy, using a putty knife to spread it evenly the best i could.
After about 5 minutes, the epoxy wasn't yet too hard, so i slowly removed the tap from the front, only in the area of the cut out though.
Had to be careful not to pull the epoxy out with the tape, wasn't too difficult though.
Now there were some un-even spots and some holes on this front side, so with a small putty knife i dripped and put some more on top and spread it nicely and gently.
Next i let it harden more, so it would be sandable. I untaped the rest of the side cover, now it's been painted black with many layers of clear coat already. So using fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, i did more wet sanding over the whole cover and focused on the epoxy are the most. Next i washed it, and let it dry, then put on more clear coat. Right now she is shinning bright and looking good. The front areas isnt as smooth as i would like, you can feel the epoxy, i didnt want to sand it too much and screw it up.
Attached is a pic. So far i have only done one sidecover. Wanted to make sure this one came out right, so i know what to do for the other one.
Also i dont think i will need the lexan in the back of the cover, maybe i should still put it in to reinforce the epoxy tho.
Last edited by gcextreme; 03-31-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Reason: Adding pic