Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Long Range Gear Thread

Back Ground:
as many of you guys know I deploy in a little less than one week. what some of you don't know that upon my return I will be hitting the unemployment lines thanks to Oboma's plan to discharge almost 50,000 active duty service members. Now I don't want any discussion on this. I am actually looking at this as an opportunity to go explore the world between Upstate new York and Colorado Springs Colorado.

The trip is a little under 2000 miles. I am going to be embarking on the journey in late spring to early summer of 2012.

I am looking for ideas on equipent for the bike, myself, and simple road side emergency equipment.

Before I leave, I am going to Lube the splines, Replace my tires (thinking about the Metzer 880's), oil change, replace my stator with a TPE (doing the stator cover mod at this time, even though I am going to pull the engine at teh same time to fix a couple of leaks), Shindegen Rectifier, new clutch, New Breaks all the way around, lube the steering bearings, and new NGK Plugs. Any other maintenance things I am over looking?

New equipment for the bike is going to include a luggage rack, saddle bag supports, Hard Bags(?), Trunk (?), a shield or fairing (I want a HD Batwing if I can find one cheap enough), a GPS, Power Accessory Block, Retrofitted Fat Bob Tanks (already been working on this project for a while), Volt Meter, Custom Dash (to house the Volt Meter, stock gauges, ash tray, and drink holder), Floor Boards, and Highway Pegs. Any other ideas?

My current riding gear includes steel toed boots, jeans, leather Jacket, heavy leather duster (for the brisk mornings and cool nights and any other time it might get too chilly for just my jacket), Icon reflective vest, Icon Riding Gloves, and half helmet. I plan on upgrading to a FF Helmet, chaps, riding pants, rain gear (weather isn't going to stop me unless it gets unsafe to ride), and possibly new gloves and gauntlets (maybe heated?) Comments and ideas welcome.

Items to Pack/carry are going to be a sleeping bag, small tool kit, small tarp, rope, spare cloths, water, oil, a couple of MRE's, cell phone, lap top, and a small back packing stove. I am not sure what else to pack yet.

As the title says this is going to be an ongoing thread to be used not only for my self, but for helpful tips and ideas for those planning on doing some long bike trips. So feel free to post comments, links to gear that has worked for you and any thing else that might be relevant to this subject.

HERE is a map of my anticipated rout, if I might be in your area, feel free to send me an email and I will see if updating my rout will work out. A riding buddy, meal stop, night stop, rest stop, must see places along the way ect would be great. This trip isn't about getting to the destination but about enjoying the adventure.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 03-13-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added map referance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hi Slim:
Sounds like a great trip. The only omission in the maintenance section might be the swing arm bearings depending on when last serviced. With all the other work, they will be easy to do.
I've been thinking about the metzlers too. If you find a good deal, others will probably be interested. Will you be going oversize?
Hope you have a great ride. If you meet Obama, take him with you. He might learn alot that would help in his current job. I think after the next election, he will have time for some travel too.

Bronson

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
I am up in the air about going oversized on the tires.. I haven't heard anything bad about going larger, so I might just go ahead and do it. the swing arm was serviced this past season when I had the bike torn apart for a partial rebuild... I even lubed the splines back then... but since I am going on such a long ride, I plan on redoing them for a piece of mind.

I will take into consideration to redo the bearings at the same time.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

well, if you are going to replace tires, then you might as well lube the splines too! why not?
as for going oversized on the tires, I would think that with the lager tire size you would be able to carry more cargo because of the higher load capacity with bigger tires. although I maybe wrong about this. but it maybe something to look into.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Good points ruger

Here is my current luggage set up that I plan on upgrading to hard bags or larger saddle bags, I am going to miss the look of the leather, but I might have to compromise looks over function... Any one know where I can find Harley Like saddle bags and trunks for cheap (besides eBay)?

All in all for the price it worked great for short trips.. they lasted me three seasons, but I cant hold a lot, and they are too soft to try and strap luggage to the top of them.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 03-13-2011 at 06:37 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

hey Slimvulcanrider. I just want to take a min. and thank you for your service. thank you!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
thanks its been a great 12 years, but my time is coming to an end, and am looking forward to my pink slip... after the deployment and the road trip I plan on hanging my hat in Colorado, working and riding "The Creep Show" while going back to school as an auto body tech and taking care of semi local VN750 members bikes.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Gordon need your help... looking for the over sized tire sizes... point me in the right direction please.

Also looking for new bars... I want something similar to the stock bars, I need about 2-6" more pull back and/or 1-3" more rise
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
hey Slimvulcanrider. I just want to take a min. and thank you for your service. thank you!
X2 Thank you for risking your tail to protect ours... and glad to hear you gonna be a civilian!

As far as your trip, I'd try to make it further south to the blue ridge parkway, but that's just me. Don't forget to check/clean/replace your air filters, not sure what setup you've got there. Also, have you got a cup holder? In my opinion, it is a must have for long trips. Fab'd mine with a pipe clamp and an old plastic container for about a buck. As far as luggage, I love my tank bag, it has a waterproof cover with see-through map holder, mp3 port and I can get into it on the fly if I really need to.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
I love my tank bag, it has a waterproof cover with see-through map holder, mp3 port and I can get into it on the fly if I really need to.
any links to this or more information?

I have a "Slim's $20.00 ear shave" brand new filter I won't be touching it. although I have a spare ready to go into my bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement