National Cycle Windshield N2220 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Member? ... check.

Garage
National Cycle Windshield N2220

I hope to learn from others experience. I thought I would like to add a windshield to my ride, and I like the looks of the National Cycle Custom Heavy Duty Windshield model 2220. The only other choice I though was ok, was one of the Plexi-star or Plexifairing3 models.

Let's hear from some of you folks with shields ... what say you ...
Any other great fitting make/models I should consider?

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Giggity!

Garage
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you want some good protection , the Plexistar or Plexifairing is the way to go. The latter being providing the most.

I myself had the Plexistar. There is a photo of it here on my bike compared to a Memphis Shades Hellcat on the left:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifema...7602271287132/

You can see that is also gives some protection to your hands. I think the Hellcat looked the best, but I went with function over form and was very very happy I did.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Member? ... check.

Garage
So far, both you guys like the four point handlebar connection shields. I was wondering about the rigidity of those systems at speed. I'm not a speed demon, but if I push it up to 90 on an open stretch every now and then just to get a tingle, I want a good sturdy mount on the shield.

~~C8> Ratt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Previously, I had the National Cycle Plexistar II on my VN750. Now, I have the Memphis Shades "Malibu" windshield, instead.

You said you like the NC model 2220. Basically, you need to decide what look you want, and what you really expect from your bike's windshield.

As KM indicated above, the Plexistar and Plexifairing will give you better protection than the model 2220. What I experienced was that these larger windshields also have an "optical illusion" effect. By that I mean....these larger windshields will also make your bike "look" bigger (you can get some of this same effect by installing the recommended larger size tires, too).

Past that, the Plexifairing will give you the most wind protection of those mentioned (since it has the fork extensions). The Memphis Shades "Malibu" will be easier to see over (without any mods) if...for example, you are caught out in the rain. The "Malibu" also gives you the option of a "batwing" look by choosing with it any of several available colors at the lower portion of the shield. I have gotten a number of compliments on mine--it really gives the bike a distinctive custom look that others will notice.

But...if you like the looks of the model 2220 that much more than all the above...then go with it. After all, it is your bike.

In any case, you'll enjoy your bike more with a windshield. Get one, and install it. You'll find riding it is then less fatiguing, with fewer bug impacts and splatters, and fewer gravel hits....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCraggRatt View Post
So far, both you guys like the four point handlebar connection shields. I was wondering about the rigidity of those systems at speed. I'm not a speed demon, but if I push it up to 90 on an open stretch every now and then just to get a tingle, I want a good sturdy mount on the shield.
If you're running it up to 90 you're burning through gas pretty quickly. I mean, the rpm's have to be near 6,000 at 90. Am I right?

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Drive less, ride more...

If you buy a windshield from a reputable company, and it has 4 mounting points, it should easily handle 90+ mph bike speeds. You'll have other problems instead at those speeds (like fuel consumption, etc).

Although a Vulcan 750 is not an optimum bike for riding at those speeds for any real length of time....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Member? ... check.

Garage
Fuel consumption?! your kidding right? I'm not sayin' I want to hold her there very long. But I do like the exhileration of this bikes acceleration getting there. I might dwell there for 20 to 30 seconds, then bring it back down for more cruising. I tell ya' ... I never ever considered the gas mileage during those moments ... lol.

P.S. - I only get those urges when there's no one else around, and I'm on a good stretch.

~~C8> Ratt

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 01-30-2011 at 01:04 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Here in the desert you gotta have one cause when the trucks blast past you on the narrow 2 lanes at 75, without a windshield you get sandblasted. I've got the National 2220 on my Vulcan, which I have buffed out several times. My previous bike had the handlebar mounts. I do like the windshield mounted on the forks. Very stable at all speeds and does not move when it is blasted by the trucks.
I also drilled two extra holes in the mount so I can tilt the windshield back a ways. Looks much better on the bike and helps with the mileage too. And I have been known to crank her up on an occasion or two.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Well there you go. Now you just need to make a choice. Alot of folks here really like their plex shields.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement