Yes, another helmet thread...bare with me - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes, another helmet thread...bare with me

I see these helmets on TV all the time that look pretty cool and also offer plenty of protection. Why do I look completely ridiculous in every helmet I put on? The full face isn't bad (even though it makes my head look enormous) but I'm not rockin that when it's 98 and humid. I got the half helmet, like the cop helmet, but the padding is so thick, my head looks like big ol' cupcake. The thing looks like it sits on top of my head instead surrounding it.

I also got the german style helmet thinking it would be better. It's not. It also sits on top so my head looks like a giant mushroom - or worse. Any idea wear I'm going wrong?

I'm thinking Sr. from OCC. He never looks like a cupcake or a mushroom. Any help would be great...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Are you thinking about non-DOT approved "novelty helmets", which offer no more protection than a hard hat? They are just a shell and have no crushable foam inside. Don't do much except keep you from getting sunburn if you're bald.

http://www.daytonahelmets.com/Novelt...FUHr7QodzHZSZg

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I see these helmets on TV all the time that look pretty cool and also offer plenty of protection. Why do I look completely ridiculous in every helmet I put on? The full face isn't bad (even though it makes my head look enormous) but I'm not rockin that when it's 98 and humid. I got the half helmet, like the cop helmet, but the padding is so thick, my head looks like big ol' cupcake. The thing looks like it sits on top of my head instead surrounding it.

I also got the german style helmet thinking it would be better. It's not. It also sits on top so my head looks like a giant mushroom - or worse. Any idea wear I'm going wrong?

I'm thinking Sr. from OCC. He never looks like a cupcake or a mushroom. Any help would be great...
Are your helmets properly sized and fitted? Many riders buy helmets that is too big. Most good cycle shop have someone qualified to properly size and fit (i.e., adjust internal pads) helmets. Also, when temps reach 99 degrees and above and your body begins to absorb heat. So, a full face with all the vents closed can be a good option as temperatures exceed 98 degrees.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
Are your helmets properly sized and fitted? Many riders buy helmets that is too big. Most good cycle shop have someone qualified to properly size and fit (i.e., adjust internal pads) helmets. Also, when temps reach 99 degrees and above and your body begins to absorb heat. So, a full face with all the vents closed can be a good option as temperatures exceed 98 degrees.
I`m with Chris here LP. I think you need to find a good salesman to fit a helmet to your head.

Also read David Hough`s article on hot weather riding in his first volume of "Proficient Motorcycling". Basically he points out that once ambient temperatures get over body temperature of 98.6*F, anything more than short rides is going to overheat your body unless you are insulated from the hot wind blast. He wears a full face helmet and riding jacket (NOT MESH), pants, gloves, boots, and a scarf to keep the hot air away from the major arteries in the neck when long distance riding in those condition. It looks hot, and is, but not as hot as riding unprotected.

I looks odd to us in northern latitudes because we are used to taking off clothes to cool off when it is hot. That only works when ambient temps are below body temperature. Want another example? Think how the old desert nomads dress with long robes and a head covering to survive in the terrific daytime heat they endure. Just saying.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I see these helmets on TV all the time that look pretty cool and also offer plenty of protection. Why do I look completely ridiculous in every helmet I put on? ...

First off, we are going to need pictures.

It is just possible you have a huge head to begin with.

I always wear a full face, as mentioned it can actually keep you cooler. But I started wearing 3/4 helmets first... and also looking at myself in the mirror, I thought they looked kinda big. 1/2 helmets do make you look like mushroom and there ain't much you can do to avoid that other than wear a non-DOT approved helmet with basicly no lining. (the part that protects your head when it hits is really the lining, not the outer shell)

What I figured here was , I do not care what I look like while riding if it means I am better protected. If your image to the public is that important to you , then buy a metal hat like Paul Sr. wears...or buy a kids "army" helmet and paint it black, steal a DOT sticker off another helmet and don't worry about brain damage.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
I have used a half helmet, and decided that there was an unacceptable lack of protection. I have also had a full face, and felt that the visibility and riding experience suffered. The one I have now is sort of a motorcycle cop style with a full face shield. I really like it. It shields the wind, stays cool, and has great visibility and riding feel. I like a helmet with a snug (not tight) fit, so the strap can remain comfortable stabilizing the headgear in the wind. It is not Snell, but is DOT. Next time you shop, ask for assistance. Try on several, and if they have nothing you fall in love with right away, walk out, and try somewhere else. Good hunting !

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Think how the old desert nomads dress with long robes and a head covering to survive in the terrific daytime heat they endure. Just saying.
You'll also notice that it's loose-fitting cotton, not hot leather or nylon. I'm sorry, but I've worn a full-face helmet in 100 degree weather, and I did not feel any cooler.

Back in August of 1976, I rode from Northern Wisconsin to Idaho during a 100+ degree heatwave. It was just freaking hot!

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

OHHH OK!!! Enlightening as always fellas. So I'm not going with a plastic skull cap because I don't want to sacrifice protection. I was curious if there was anything between the skull cap and the mushroom. Had to be. Apparently if I want that, I have to get fitted for one. Fair enough.

No, my head isn't bigger or smaller (literally anyway) than any other 32 year old dude, I just obviously haven't found the proper processes for helmet shopping yet. Ask someone, hmm - whooda thunk it? Occam's Razor applies once again! "All things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the most correct." I'm on it.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 01-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

FWIW, all of the DOT approved half helmets I tried on when I was considering transitioning to one while riding my cruiser. Every single one I tried on either had a mushroom or phallic look. I decided to stick with my FF.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmnet View Post
You'll also notice that it's loose-fitting cotton, not hot leather or nylon. I'm sorry, but I've worn a full-face helmet in 100 degree weather, and I did not feel any cooler.

No one said you would feel cooler, just that you would not feel hotter. and that is a stretch anyway, as the point is to keep you from cooking or dehydrating.

Case in point, Did a 150 mile ride with ambient temps in the high 90's . Wore a t-shirt, thin cotton pants, tennis shoes and a 3/4 helmet with no shield , but goggles.
Got to my destination and felt like crap for a good 3 hours.

Fastforwad to the same trip, same tempatures, but me with a windscreen, FF helmet, mesh pants and jacket...no exposed skin other than my neck.
Got there and felt great.

On both trips...I still felt like I was being baked...but when I finally stopped, my recovery time was almost instant with all the mesh gear, and without it I actually felt kinda worn out and sick.

HOT is HOT and other than taking the air conditioned car, you ain't going to feel "cool". What you are working for here is not getting overheated badly... or sick, or suffering long term effects of being in that heat.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement