Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

Hot hands...

So I got some money for Christmas which I used to buy a pair of Gerbing G3 heated gloves. After installing the jack and heatroller I tried them out today. Here's my review of these gloves...

THEY ROCK!!!!

I've always had a problem with cold fingers and no matter how warm the rest of me is if my hands are cold I'm miserable. I did a lot of reading and came to the conclusion that Gerbing and Warm-n-Safe were the two best manufacturers of heated gear. I looked on-line but found them at my local bike shop for the same price and got to see em' and try em' on. I was out today trying them out (temp about 35) and had to turn them down to half otherwise they were too warm (imagine that). I'm so stoked! No more cold fingers when I'm winter riding. Woo Hoo!!!!

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Straight roads are evil

Yeah! I've got heated gloves too. As long as my hands are warm, all of me feels warm.

Mine are by Tourmaster. Sadly I can't recommend them. While they do work, and work well, there are many tiny annoyances with them. If they ever break I'll get Gerblings.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM

LOL!!!! Thanks for the review Ron, I'll have to check them out when we go for a ride. Hey how tough is it to ride with them on, Ron? How's the dexterity?

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 01-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:55 PM

I know this is an old post, but I have to agree... the Gerbing gloves are the best! I've tried a couple different ones, and the Gerbing T5, or G3 gloves are amazing... no noticeable dexterity loss, comfortable, and very warm... they heat up in a few seconds, and stay nice and toasty while you ride...

Without the heat on, they're comfortably insulated down to around 40 degrees. I've ridden through two very cold winters here in Georgia (I know, it's the south but it gets down into the teens on some days), in the wind, rain, and even snow, and my hands stayed warm and dry...

I gave my last pair to my brother last Christmas, and just got a new pair of the Gerbing G3 gloves... had to use them this morning (26 degrees), and they work great!!

------------------------------
GloryRider
Atlanta, GA
Current Ride: 1995 Vulcan 88 (1500A9)
Purchased Dec. 2014
approx. 6,800 miles

Previous Bike: 2000 VN750 "Glory"
With homemade stator
Details on stator build here

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul"

"You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime." - Burt Munro
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryRider View Post
I know this is an old post, but I have to agree... the Gerbing gloves are the best! I've tried a couple different ones, and the Gerbing T5, or G3 gloves are amazing... no noticeable dexterity loss, comfortable, and very warm... they heat up in a few seconds, and stay nice and toasty while you ride...

Without the heat on, they're comfortably insulated down to around 40 degrees. I've ridden through two very cold winters here in Georgia (I know, it's the south but it gets down into the teens on some days), in the wind, rain, and even snow, and my hands stayed warm and dry...

I gave my last pair to my brother last Christmas, and just got a new pair of the Gerbing G3 gloves... had to use them this morning (26 degrees), and they work great!!
Nice. I'm pretty impartial toward anything that's heated because when it's freexzing out and you got the breeze blowing on you. Anything feels great

Definitely heard good things about Gerbings though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Aw, I got all excited thinkin' Ron_G was back. Anyway, thanks for the helpful review.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

How does the electrical system on the VN 750 hold up when you plug in some heated items? I had been under the impression that it is pretty well taxed as it is and adding anything else may cause a problem. That had been one of the main reasons for converting to LED lights (to save the electrical system).

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
How does the electrical system on the VN 750 hold up when you plug in some heated items? I had been under the impression that it is pretty well taxed as it is and adding anything else may cause a problem. That had been one of the main reasons for converting to LED lights (to save the electrical system).
At normal cruising speed (65-70 mph) a stock bike has about 70w of power available. Heated gloves use about 35w. Jacket liners or jackets about 40w, heated pants/chaps about the same.
The problem is trying to use two seperate pieces of heated gear together. A heated jacket and gloves can easily go over that 70w range.

The other problem is that 70w rating is under ideal conditions, get stuck in traffic and that figure can go down as the bike is just not charging the same.

Bottom line here is to check how much power the heated gear uses to start with, have a good voltmeter to monitor your charging volts, and switch off gear if it starts to tax the system.
Generally I'd say picking one piece of heated gear shouldn't be a problem. I ran driving lights that used 40w of power and only while idling was this maxing out the power. If I saw the volts drop I just turned them off.

If you've replaced some bulbs with LED's, in theory you can add up the total wattage of the lights you removed and add that to the 70w. Keep in mind a blinking turn light doesn't constantly use power, so not sure how to estimate that.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have a pair of Widder electric gloves I've had for 20 years. They still work great. I have rigged an off switch on the headlight high beam, so I can turn it off and use the power for stuff like heated gloves. I don't want to risk overloading that weak stator. Notice how Kawasaki set it up so the headlight won't come on until the engine starts.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM

I only go out for what we call "Frozen Toe Rides" 2 0r 3 times each winter. I wear insulateed winter boots. And instead of laying out close to $200.00 for heated gloves I purchased lined deer hide mittens and a few bucks each ride for heat pads that work like a charm. Mittens work much better than fingered gloves that seperate each finger and don't get the benefit of the heat pads like mittens do. Am I a tightwad? You bet! I was raised during the dirty 30's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement