I got a new toy, a video cam - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

I got a new toy, a video cam

I just got a go pro video cam. I opted for the $150 wide angle version. They have a $300 HD version that i could not spring for, I am sure it is awesome. The cam comes with 2 curved mounts for helmets, 2 flat mounts, a big suction cup mount and adaptors for vertical and side mounting. The features include video(duh), pic every 2 second mode, 3 pics in a row mode, single pic mode and self timer. You have to get a 2 gig sd card for memory wich allows 2 hours of filming, or so the booklet says. The counter guy said you could modify it for a 5gig card, but I have not researched that yet. Mounting was easy , so I went out and shot my first video and loaded it on you tube.
If you want to watch it, it is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQx-nisqVG8

The quality of the video is much better on the host computer than it is on you tube or if you watch it on a tv. The host computer is much clearer. Apparently I have to mess around with the audio setting as you cant hear my voice or the bike, only wind noise. Judge speed by the loudness of the wind. The wide angle lens does offer a great view of whats happening, but it also reduces the perception of the sharpness of turns and steepness of hills. Overall, after 1 whole use, I must say I like it. I hope to be able to add music and titles in the near future. Does anyone here have experience with this camers or the music and title thing? Annywasy, i got this to take on a trip in a few weeks and hope to have all the bugs worked out by then so I can share some cool footage of a Vulcan doing its thing.

1990 vn-750
metzler 880's
r/r relocated
iridium plugs
ngk plug caps
mf agm battery
ballancer and stator replaced. (Lance328)
Pro Tac Backrest
progressive fork springs
fork seals replaced
2003 kdx 220
frp chain gude
frp skid plate
acerbix hand guards
uni filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:12 AM

[QUOTE=phurp;150688]I just got a go pro video cam... 2 hours of filming...watch it on a tv...add music..QUOTE]

Sounds a bit kincky... Seriously though some of my freinds have used similar cams and make for some cool vids. Aco-worker I built a track bike for has a vid were he leaned his gsxr 750 far enough over it riped his camera off his fairing. When he retrieved the cam it was a priceless video. I could never be that agressive, but San diego did have some great twisties.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
That is the same one we use ,you will love it.I will tell you that the stick on mount plate mounted on the front fender give a great view and is extremely stable and the suction cup mount with the longer brackets sticking out to the side in front of your leg does a good job too.how did you edit and cut the video.I used windows movie maker actually thats where the work comes in .the filming is fun.

The camera is a little hard on batteries,so you'll be better off buying you some rechargeable lithium Ion batteries as this can get quite expensive buying the LI throwaways

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
That is the same one we use ,you will love it.I will tell you that the stick on mount plate mounted on the front fender give a great view and is extremely stable and the suction cup mount with the longer brackets sticking out to the side in front of your leg does a good job too.how did you edit and cut the video.I used windows movie maker actually thats where the work comes in .the filming is fun.

The camera is a little hard on batteries,so you'll be better off buying you some rechargeable lithium Ion batteries as this can get quite expensive buying the LI throwaways
thanks for the input. I scouted out that front fender thing, but didnt want to try it first, not sure of the suction cup staying on a waxed fender. but if you say it will stay, i will go for it soon. I have not edited any vids yet. so thanks for suggesting movie maker, il will mess with it soon. Batteries. yep. got the energizer rechargables. 2 sets. from the usage i got yesterday, i may need 3 or 4 sets.

1990 vn-750
metzler 880's
r/r relocated
iridium plugs
ngk plug caps
mf agm battery
Pro Tac Backrest
progressive fork springs
fork seals replaced
2003 kdx 220
frp chain gude
frp skid plate
acerbix hand guards
uni filter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=hzhardy;150689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurp View Post
I just got a go pro video cam... 2 hours of filming...watch it on a tv...add music..QUOTE]

Sounds a bit kincky... Seriously though some of my freinds have used similar cams and make for some cool vids. Aco-worker I built a track bike for has a vid were he leaned his gsxr 750 far enough over it riped his camera off his fairing. When he retrieved the cam it was a priceless video. I could never be that agressive, but San diego did have some great twisties.
Hmmmmm! alternative uses for a tiny little video cam! Can we see that video from the gsxr somewhere? i bet its awesome.

1990 vn-750
metzler 880's
r/r relocated
iridium plugs
ngk plug caps
mf agm battery
Pro Tac Backrest
progressive fork springs
fork seals replaced
2003 kdx 220
frp chain gude
frp skid plate
acerbix hand guards
uni filter
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phurp View Post
thanks for the input. I scouted out that front fender thing, but didnt want to try it first, not sure of the suction cup staying on a waxed fender. but if you say it will stay, i will go for it soon. I have not edited any vids yet. so thanks for suggesting movie maker, il will mess with it soon. Batteries. yep. got the energizer rechargables. 2 sets. from the usage i got yesterday, i may need 3 or 4 sets.
Buy you some alcohol pads at wally world and clean the place you mount the stick on mounts and also where you plan on mounting the suction cup.carry a small bottle of the between wash spray detailer and use it on your fender ,tank or wherever you clean with the alcohol pads and it will look fresh waxed

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Awesome video! I want one! You seem like your going really fast all the time...is that the wide angle effect?

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMMERLING View Post
Awesome video! I want one! You seem like your going really fast all the time...is that the wide angle effect?
I was in my Library(bathroom)and was checking ouy JCWhitneys latest motorcycle catalog and they have the same camera around 150 bucks.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMMERLING View Post
I was trying to! Dont know what you qualify as fast. I was trying to get on it pretty good though. I was thinking it kind of looked slow. To me, the wide angle affects depth perception(how steep a hill is, how deep a valley is) dont know if it affects speed perception. I guess if you watch the edge of the road, it does look fast.

1990 vn-750
metzler 880's
r/r relocated
iridium plugs
ngk plug caps
mf agm battery
Pro Tac Backrest
progressive fork springs
fork seals replaced
2003 kdx 220
frp chain gude
frp skid plate
acerbix hand guards
uni filter
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=phurp;150703]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzhardy View Post

Hmmmmm! alternative uses for a tiny little video cam! Can we see that video from the gsxr somewhere? i bet its awesome.
I'll email him to see if still has it.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement