Scala Rider Q2 Multiset (Intercom) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Scala Rider Q2 Multiset (Intercom)

I don't know how many of you guys use bike to bike communication, but I thought I'd give a brief review on the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset that I purchased for $229.95 total (no shipping or tax for TN at least) last week. So far, I am blown away with the sound quality. It came with 2 units which are paired. It has built in FM receiver with up to 6 preset stations. It's light, easy to install, and bluetooth compatible. You can pair each unit with up to 2 units and one bluetooth device. If you like, you can play your mp3 player through it with the cord that is included, but I don't like to be bothered with cords. Of course, each unit can listen to separate stations/mp3's. I now have my phone paired with mine (I am waiting on by Nuvi 265wt to arrive) so I have been able to check it out by taking and making calls. No one I have talked to even knew I was riding a bike on the highway doing 60 mph. When my neighbor gets his set, I'll be able to talk to him and my wife; my wife can talk with me and his wife; his wife can talk to him and my wife. Can't wait for my Nuvi to arrive to that I can pair my phone with it and it to my Scala Rider and get turn by turn directions and use my phone hands free. I order late Monday night and received them Thursday UPS. The only negative I can mention is the quality of the mp3's through the headset. FM is great, MP3's, not so much. Here's the link where I ordered: http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...uetooth-MP3-FM

2004 VN750 "Rosanna"
Acquired March 6, 2010

Done:
NGK Iridium Plugs
NGK Caps
Big Crank ETX15L AGM Battery
Battery Tender Jr. w/Pigtail
Marbled
Rear Spline Lubed
Front Spine/U-Joint Lubed
Metzeler ME 880's
Brake Fluid Flushed, Filled, and Bled
Saddlemen Studded Saddlebags and Tank Bib
Installed 12 Volt Power Outlet
Debaffled
R/R Relocated flightcontrol Style

Pending
N/A... I'm Going Ridin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Glad you posted that peerless my riding buddies son works at Lexington Motorsports ,Lexington KY(shameless plug) and he was telling his dad and I we should get the Scala system rather than buying the blue tooth helmets .He gave a good report on the system.A few questions though.Is it a stereo and is the one you got set up for rider and passenger ,because I have never carried a passenger for any length of time and don't need a dual unit.But I want the features you mentioned FM ,hands free phone ,and mp3 hook up and bike to bike communicator,is it as clear as Jason says ? And is it stereo,and does it come in a one helmet setup or can Ted and i buy a two unit setup and split it between bikes ?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Glad you posted that peerless my riding buddies son works at Lexington Motorsports ,Lexington KY(shameless plug) and he was telling his dad and I we should get the Scala system rather than buying the blue tooth helmets .He gave a good report on the system.A few questions though.Is it a stereo and is the one you got set up for rider and passenger ,because I have never carried a passenger for any length of time and don't need a dual unit.But I want the features you mentioned FM ,hands free phone ,and mp3 hook up and bike to bike communicator,is it as clear as Jason says ? And is it stereo,and does it come in a one helmet setup or can Ted and i buy a two unit setup and split it between bikes ?
You can use it with a passenger, but the Q2 has a range of about 550 yards in clear terrain. My wife and I use them from bike to bike; it is completely wireless. The also sell the single unit, but I bought the multiset which is two complete units. You could split the cost of the multiset and use it on separate bikes; there is nothing connected to the bike. Heck I walked around the cul-de-sac checking it out, calling the house by simple telling it to dial the number, etc. Yes, it is clear as all get out; sounds as clear as a regular phone call if you use a FFH; not sure about open face. If you split a multiset, and happened to ride with a third rider with the same kind of unit, you could also pair yours with theirs. It is stereo, but keep in mind I don't like the quality of the mp3 sound (could be my mp3 player, not sure) but the built in radio is great. The mount attaches to your helmet, the removable unit attaches to the mount. The manual says they are good for 4 hours of talk time and 10 hours on standby before recharging. The speakers are wired to the mount and you route them under the padding and velcro them into place on each side. They are about the size of three quarters stacked. I hope this helps. Heck if you like, PM me your phone number and I'll call you tomorrow evening when I'm out and you can judge for yourself.

2004 VN750 "Rosanna"
Acquired March 6, 2010

Done:
NGK Iridium Plugs
NGK Caps
Marbled
Rear Spline Lubed
Metzeler ME 880's
Debaffled

Pending
N/A... I'm Going Ridin'

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 AM

Garage
Cool, for me ,your word is enough. although I did want to hear from some one who actually had one and now that I know we can split a set that is great,J, can get me and his dad a good discount.I just bought a rear metzeler for less than I could get it online any where even after KY sales tax.Thanks a bunch ,Denny

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 AM

Garage
Cool, for me ,your word is enough. although I did want to hear from some one who actually had one and now that I know we can split a set that is great,J, can get me and his dad a good discount.I just bought a rear metzeler for less than I could get it online any where even after KY sales tax.Thanks a bunch ,Denny

PS I ride with a FF any way so does Ted

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

No problem, Denny, I know you'll like it. The link I posted was the cheapest I found after a lot of research so that's cool he can get you a good deal. To me, they are worth the price. I no longer have to stop at an intersection, raise my shield, and ask my wife, "now where?" when we ride on weekends, lol. Post what you think after you get them and check them out. JW

2004 VN750 "Rosanna"
Acquired March 6, 2010

Done:
NGK Iridium Plugs
NGK Caps
Marbled
Rear Spline Lubed
Metzeler ME 880's
Debaffled

Pending
N/A... I'm Going Ridin'
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 AM

I thought about the Scala set up, but I don't ride 2 up with the wife on back. So I am looking at the Midland 75-822 Portable CB. As for my cell, I don't like talking on it while riding. Interferes with the fun.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIMPYRDR View Post
I thought about the Scala set up, but I don't ride 2 up with the wife on back. So I am looking at the Midland 75-822 Portable CB. As for my cell, I don't like talking on it while riding. Interferes with the fun.
AKA He wants an excuse NOT to answer the phone while riding and wife is calling LOL

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavisimo View Post
AKA He wants an excuse NOT to answer the phone while riding and wife is calling LOL
That's called "hitting the nail on the head", Chavisimo.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIMPYRDR View Post
That's called "hitting the nail on the head", Chavisimo.
understandable,but I am not married and I may want to talk to who is calling.LOL

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement