Full Face Helmets? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Full Face Helmets?

How many of you guys ride your cruisers with full face helmets?

I know all about the "Image" cruisers have, but I can't bring myself to riding an open face helmet, just from the safety standpoint. Check this link:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Image:Helmet_5.jpg

It shows the percentage of impacts from post crash studies (I have no clue where from), and I think the numbers make sense. But enough about that. I ride with an Icon Alliance SSR "Bonecrusher" Full face helmet and love it to death and will never ride open face. What about you guys?

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 named Jinba Ittai (Japanese for "Horse and rider in perfect harmony").
Jardine Pipes
Splines Lubricated
Painted Instrument Bezels
Headlight Visor
Chrome engine guard
Leather Fork Bag (contents: Pressure gauge, tools, and a Book of Psalms)
Yuaso MF AGM Motocross battery
Kenda Kruz Front tire
Duro Boulevard rear tire

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Dude,
I use an high visibility yellow HJC full face. most the time thats what i use. sometimes when im feeling frisky or Memorial day or 4th of July...i wear my easy rider helmet. It does take away from that "in your face feeling" but then again ...im trying to stay safe. I would like to save up and get a SHOEI modular high visibilty one...that would be cool.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:54 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
Definitely a full face helmet. I've had enough bumble bees and beetles and things smack me in the face. I don't feel right with my old open face one.

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Love My Baby

I used to wear a FFH but it was so uncomfortable in the hot and humid Florida summer. Now I ride without a helmet and I've loved it that way for a few years now. But recently I took care of this guy in ICU who cut across 5 lanes of interstate traffic and crashed into a corvette. Broke the entire right side of his body and his FFH took a beating, but his head was untouched! His head and jaw would certainly have been mush if he wasn't wearing a FFH. Now I may start wearing mine again.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I used to wear a FFH year round, but like Rick, it get really hot and humid here in GA during the spring and summer months. I used to say I would never wear an open faced helmet, but after roasting in my FFH last summer, I now wear a DOT approved half shell on hot days because it's so much cooler while sitting traffic on the way home from work. I know the risk I'm taking and I accept that. On rainy or cold days though, I still definately wear the FF.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Surely not the smartest thing I do but I generally wear a half shell to and from work for the extra air at a stand still in the warm months and save my modular for rainy/cold days and long trips

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM

For excellent air flow in FL humidity, look at the Bell Star helmet - they're deeply discounted here and there on-line. It's a lot of coin to drop on a helmet, but your head will thank you. I ride with one and the difference between that and my old GMAX 38 (which I also selected for it's high air flow) is like night and day in favor of the Bell.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM

I wear a FFH HJC pretty much 98% of the time I'm riding. I admit on 95F days with high humidity, it can kind of suck sitting in traffic, but I was in a high side accident on a V-Max and was tossed and rolled 30 or so yards. Fortunately only came away with some road rash and a broken ankle, but my FFH helmet had a huge 5 inch gash right across the visor that the pavement had etched into it from the initial impact. Wearing a half shell would have seen me missing a good chunk of noise and cheek. That day sold me on two things: FFH and fully padded riding jackets. Occasionally on a close jaunt where I won't exceed 30 mph I'll go without a helmet, but otherwise I've been up and close and personal with what can happen and I'll stick with the FFH.

1992 Vulcan 750
(Brother-in-law's bike, but am caretaker while deployed)
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Cruisin' through my 50's

Every rider takes their chances and has to calculate the risks involved. I've been wearing a full face helmet for about 3 years now. I'm long past the age where I'm trying to impress someone by looking 'cool'. I've watched some friends fall while riding at slow speeds (less than 20mph) they tried to brace for impact with their arms but as their head came to the ground, it was chin-first.

I'm pretty lucky that here in southern Ohio we only have a short period of time where it's 90+ degrees. The humidity always seems to be pretty high. When I'm moving the full face helmet never seems too warm. I do ride with the tinted visor up most of the time so that may help. I wear perscription eyeglasses that help protect my eyes. In August when I'm stopped at a long traffic light, yep, it gets warm inside my gray bucket but I've decided that it's worth it.

Last edited by newOldUser; 06-03-2010 at 02:30 PM.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM

I wear half helmets pretty much all the time, with a modular full face as back-up if I'm expecting weather.

-------
1980 Honda CM400T - Old Picture
No More Fairing, Rack or Back Seat
My Sister Has It For Now

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...22_6753703.jpg

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/SeanRP/kawa2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/SeanRP/kawa1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement