Handlebars and Windshields Questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Handlebars and Windshields Questions

Ok first, i have my 2001 VN750, its got stock handlebars, and i am sure they are in the stock position. I am wanting to move them forward a bit, I know its a simple issue, but i have some questions:
1. The 4 black plastic caps in the handlebar mount, what is the best way to Remove them to get at the bolts?
2. What are the torque specs for those bolts, if any?
3. Has anyone else ever moved their bars, were they happy with it? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
4. Once the black caps are removed, if they aren't damaged, i'd like to put them back in of course, but, if they are damaged, what size are they? I went to the Kawi dealer and he can order them, but they are $3 each!! We use them alot at work so i can get them from work FREE, but i am not sure the size.

Ok now about the windshield, i just want some rider input and suggestions. I bought my bike from a friend, it has a nice size windshield, its not really clear, its a bit tinted, not much tho. I have ridden it for darn near 2 years with the windshield on, I just took it off today and went for a ride. Going over 55mph, i kinda wished i had it on, and when i got sand n bugs, and my eyes even with sunglasses, started to water, i wish i had the windshield.
I think the bike looks bad ass without the windshield, but i love the comfort of having it. I mean for putzing around the town it was fine off, but heading home on the main hwy at 60mph, i wanted it back on.

So I just want some rider input on riding with and without a windshield.
1. If you ride without a windshield, are you wearing a full face helmet? Or how do you keep your eyes from watering and stuff. Any suggestions or ideas i would appreciate. Maybe some people wear those goggle sunglasses that are like air tight or what not.
2. Do they make a quick release windshield for the VN750?
4. What's the best stuff to clean the windshield? I was at a gas station, using the windshield sponge and squeegee thing, and another biker told me i shouldn't use that, because the windshield soap they use for that will over time ruin the plastic windshield or something, is there any truth in this??

I know these are trivial petty questions and concerns, but its good to talk about and get input from other riders.

Peace

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Jack of all trades

1. i have a windshield and a modular helmet, so no problems. but my mom has some shades with foam around the rims and she says they work great. my dad says he tries to keep his eyes kinda squinted and it helps a little.

2. define quick release. i have the spitfire and it just has two knobs that screw into the arms to hold the screen in place. so maybe thats what you are looking for

3. you forgot 3.

4. they do and i just remember it says safe for lexan on the can.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Love My Baby

I've re-torqued my handlebars and the caps came off very easily with an eyeglass screwdriver (very thin, flat head). Just be careful, no damage and they went back on without a problem. The proper torque is 17.5 ft/lbs.

I ride with a small windshield that doesn't go above chin height. Only wear cheap sunglasses that have foam around each lens, and I routinely ride 75 - 80 mph. No helmet. No issues with sand or other irritants. Love the breeze in my face and hair (what's left of it!).

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Columbus, Ohio

I use either a full face or just wrap-around shades and they are fine. No seal, but close fit. Sixty plus speeds in the winter w/o the shield is pretty much not possible. In the summer, there is some buffeting of the chest and face from trucks. Hitting a big bug will really hurt your chest or head.
The SpitFire windshield, and others like it, leave two mounts on the bars that you can quickly slip the two bracket-arms into. The arms stay on the shield when it is removed. Takes a minute with an allen wrench or strong fingers.
Even if you keep the shield on most of the time, the quick removal is good for cleaning the lights and stuff. You can find kits to polish the lexan or plexiglas in magazines. Sporty's Pilot Shop (find it online) sells three different sized kits so you don't buy more than you need. Buying a new shield is probably better than polishing scraqtches out, though. The smaller, removeable windshields will run as little as $60.00 online, on sale. If you buy one used, make sure it fits. they all look alike, but I got one from a Honda Rebel that doesn't fit perfectly on my Vulcan, so it lays back too far.
An added benefit is that if you drop the bike or dump in at slow speed, the shield may protect your speedometer from scratching.
If I were not a cheap s.o.b. I would replace my windshield with one that protects the hands. Warm gloves are expensive, and hard to find.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I was reading on another forum last week about touring on a mc, and how they cleaned the bike and windshield while on the road. Can`t remember where right now though.

As I recall the windshield would be well cleaned and polished at home, making it easier to clean off the "zip-splats" encountered during a days riding. Never use the washer fluid, sponge and squeegee or paper towel at a service station on the shield as it will scratch.

Use 100% cotton towels for washing and drying, and apparently American cotton is softer than imported. Mix a few drops of liquid dish washing soap (NOT DISHWASHER DETERGENT) and water in a spray bottle and spray the windshield and keep it wet for 15 or 20 minutes by continuing to spray it or hang a wet washing towel over it. This softens the bug guts and other crud to prevent scratching when you wipe the cloth over it. You probably want to cover the fender to protect it while washing the windshield.

If I remember where the source article is, I will link it here.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-15-2010 at 03:53 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Thanks for the input.
Yeah i know i hit the 4 key instead of 3, lol. Lets just say 3 was riding bit-ch and he fell off.

I'm not sure what windshield i have, dont see a brand name on it anywhere.
Its got a strap on each fork with a bracket that takes a 1/4-20 button head with a nut, the windshield has a nice rubber grommet that the button head goes into then goes into the bracket and the nut goes on, then it has the two rods that are bent and come down to a clamp on each handlebar, on each of those is a knob to tighten/loosen the rods into place. It took me less than 5 minutes to take it off. I spent more time trying to find the right tools, i guess the windshield is american made cuz a metric allen wrench wouldn't work in the buttonhead bolt. So i had to grab my standard kit.

I am going to look for some of those glasses with the foam on them.

Also thanks for the input on the plastic cap covers and the torque specs for the bars. I had a bad accident with that on my racing 4 wheeler. I bought some Tusk Racing bars, and clamped them on, at first i didnt have them on tight enough i guess, cuz i hit a jump and landed and they shifted forward on me. So i went back and tightened the hell out of them. They didn't move, not for a while anyway, and then one race, the left one just bent and snapped in the clamp, and my bud was like, yep that was way too tight!
I sure as heck don't want that issue with my motorcycle, but then again, i dont think im going to be jumping my bike over some 30ft doubles.

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Columbus, Ohio

One thing about glasses that seal to your face...they might fog up more easily.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I have some made by Wiley X, that have a snap in foam gasket that seals to my face. I haven`t had an opportunity to ride with them yet, but after paying $420 for them, they are my regular trifocal eyeglasses, and they do fog up in the house in warm weather, even without the seal installed.

Wiley X is a supplier to the US military for prescription goggles for those serving over in the sandbox. Check them out anyway. The optician where I bought mine, is an avid long distance rider, and took on the line because he needed something better for riding than he had.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Columbus, Ohio

I went the cheap route, last summer. I was at Sam's Club and saw some sports glasses with an elastic band instead of regular temples. I ordered them darkly tinted, in my prescription ($50.00)! I had recently lost a new pair of glasses canoeing...swatting flies ($300.00)! I had hoped the sport glasses would not have to be removed as I put on my helmet, but I was wrong. I struggle to get the helmet over them. They work when I am riding bare headed, but are not as cool as my regular, non-prescription shades. They sometimes fog, but it is uncommon. Usually only in very cold weather.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You should be wearing a full face helmet. Your face may thank you later for it.

That said, I did ride once with an open face 3/4 type helmet. I bought a pair of Scott motorcross goggles....the kind that also allowed you wear glasses under them.

No fogging issues, great eye protection, and instead of having to switch out the lens for darker on sunny days to clear at night, I just wore my regular sunglasses when bright out.

But after having a huge bug hit my cheek at 89 mph....I went back to a full face.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement