Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Need some Help!!

Ok I am not sure really what section to put this in, but i think the Equipment section is the best.

So, i am drawing up some rear signal and helmet lock mounts to relocate them, it'll be similar to asbrand's setup.
So i got the parts drawn up, but i need measurements for my hole and their sizes, so i go to remove my blinkers, i see there's one philips head screw so i remove that, it wasnt easy, i rounded it off some, so i gotta now replace those screws (what size/thread are these). Ok anyway, so i got that screw out, but the blinker still wont come off that chrome back piece, am i missing something, is there another screw behind, or is it just stuck in there and i gota wiggle and pull it out???? I dont wana break the darn thing.

Next, moving on to the helmet lock. Same darn problem, but worse, I completely rounded and screwed up those screws. They are on so darn TIGHT!!! Yes i was using the right size philips screwdriver bit, i even tried hammering it in there to get it to move. I am just getting nowhere with them. Now both helmet lock screws are fubared. I did get the left side one to back out a little bit, but still, its so freaking TIGHT! Did they use a buttload of locktight on these or what???

Any suggestions? Should i drill it out or what??
This is really frustrating!!

I know stuff has to be tight, but come on those screws rounded off so easy!!

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There's only the one screw holding the turn signals in place. But when you go to pull it off, the rubber mount needs to be twisted 90 degrees (it's shaped to lock into the bar). As for the helmet locks, I had a set I picked up off of eBay a couple of years ago and someone had used blue threadlock to keep that screw in place. I think i finally did end up drilling it out. A somewhat risky solution, but the only one I could come up with. I don't know anything that works as a solvent on blue threadlock...

C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 PM

I think the blue threadlocker on the helmet hooks is factory. I had the same thing on mine. The F&S kit comes with fasteners to replace those that I had to drill out, though. According to the instructions, the F&S kit uses 304421, "5-.8x16mm OVL, PHL, SCREW, CHROME" to re-mount the helmet hooks on the aft face of the extensions.

You can look at the front signals to see how they go together. They mount the same way...As C said, they rotate 90 degrees so the rounded-rectangularish peg and the rounded-rectangularish hole are pointed the same direction. If they're getting old, you might have some issues. I did tear one of the mounts on one of my old ones, but I was taking them off to replace them anyway. As far as the screw goes, I didn't have any real trouble with those screws. Were you using a #3 screwdriver?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've used a hammer activated impact driver to remove the helmet lock bolts (and several others) that had blue locktite and had no problem. I use blue locktite on most bike fasteners. Afraid somethings gonna shake loose if I don't.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

had to drill mine (helmet locks) out as well... well, not "had" too. It just worked out that way when I mounted some bags. I haven't re-mounted them, nor has anyone seen my helmet sitting unfettered on my backrest and thought, "damn... I'm takin' that."

Best of luck with your relocation!!

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

We are all using Phillips screwdrivers which are only "approximately" right for the job. the correct screwdrivers are "Japanese Industrial Standard", which have flat parallel driving surfaces, not slightly tapered like the Phillips.

JIS LINK: https://www.vn750.com/forum/search.php?searchid=365850
There are 4 threads here about JIS drivers, if you want to know more.

Now since most of us do not have a JIS driver, the next best solution is making sure the screw head socket is absolutely cleaned out and free of any paint or dirt etc., and your screwdriver bit is the right size, (#3 in this case), hardened and in perfect condition. A too soft or buggered up screwdriver bit is a sure way to damage the screw head.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-02-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement