2 piece HD seat- Is it an option? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
2 piece HD seat- Is it an option?

Hello again!

I've been wandering the globe looking for the "best" seating option that fits my needs and I've come across a Harley seat that someone is willing to give me, but I'm not sure if it will work on this bike.

It's a 2 piece seat that is much lower and wider than the stock seat- I am on a mission to get this stock seat replaced before my first long ride this season! Does anyone know if it is possible to put this style seat into action and make it look nice? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm prepared to cut off the sissy bar/passenger back rest, but before I do it, I'd appreciate some insight from someone who has been down this road before.

Thanks again

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Search Goddess

If it sits on the frame then the only thing you need to figure out are mounting points/brackets to secure it. I know of at least one bike that used a Harley (Sportster 2 piece seat) I believe. It sat on the bike fine but didn't have a front tab and of course didn't have the two bolts to secure it to the toolbox area.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Pics would help us help you too...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I seriously doubt it would work without considerable fabrication, then it would not look right, and Harley seats are not known for being comfortable. I love my stock seat, and if anything should happen to it, I'd be looking for another one. But if the stock seat doesn't work for you, I'd look for a nice used Mustang. I understand they are considered the most comfortable of the aftermarket seats, and to me, comfort is number one, followed by looks, but, if it isn't comfortable, looks don't matter. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Hmmmph....sheeeesh

As long as it fits close to the lines of the frame you can always fabricate mounting brackets. I mounted a sportster seat to my 750 and all I had to do was get some T-6 aircraft aluminum, cut, bend and fasten out a new tounge peice, drill a hole into my rear fender and threw bolt it on using a wing nut for easy removal. And YES it looks good on the bike

What I find so great about bikes is that as long as you put some thought into it, one can make just about anything they want to fit and work on a bike. Just plan it out and it will come.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Search Goddess

Oh Jerry, you are such a nay-sayer!
Unfortunately (?) not everyone has your butt or build
I found the picture of the Harley solo seat in my gallery
Here it is.. doesn't look too bad!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Quote:
If it sits on the frame then the only thing you need to figure out are mounting points/brackets to secure it. I know of at least one bike that used a Harley (Sportster 2 piece seat) I believe. It sat on the bike fine but didn't have a front tab and of course didn't have the two bolts to secure it to the toolbox area.
Thanks, these are exactly the thoughts I'm considering now. However, I'm hoping to eliminate the whole backrest/toolbox area completely. I just don't like it. I have pretty large saddlebags that hold the small tool kit I keep on the road. I think the sleeker look would sharpen the appearance of the bike. Might even consider eliminating the handrail piece altogether.

Quote:
Pics would help us help you too...
They're coming. I haven't gotten the HD seat yet, and I don't want to tear my sled down while there is prime riding weather. Perhaps this weekend if the rain comes as forecast. Plus my camera sux

Quote:
I seriously doubt it would work without considerable fabrication, then it would not look right, and Harley seats are not known for being comfortable. I love my stock seat, and if anything should happen to it, I'd be looking for another one. But if the stock seat doesn't work for you, I'd look for a nice used Mustang. I understand they are considered the most comfortable of the aftermarket seats, and to me, comfort is number one, followed by looks, but, if it isn't comfortable, looks don't matter. Jerry.
Jerry, I always appreciate reading your posts. I've come to find you as a purist, preferring stock to all else. Someone who enjoys doing quality work and has a wealth of experience to offer people like myself who are completely ignorant in these things. Thanks for your feedback here. I have enjoyed the modifications I've made this far, it's taught me a lot on several levels- Thanks for your contribution there also. However, I stand 6'5" and 280#. The stock seat is ok when I ride solo, but 2 up it is only good for 20 miles before I have to stop. This is no good considering I'm planning a ride to DC in May. I've considered an after market seat, but I've heard the Corbin seat actually lifts you up and pushes a little closer to the tank (which is the opposite of what I need), and mustang seats are difficult to come by. Not to mention, I'm not really interested in paying $400-500 and up for a seat. My main concern is comfort. I know how my back 40 fits on a HD seat, and the ol' lady's too. Comfort is definitely the main objective here.

Quote:
As long as it fits close to the lines of the frame you can always fabricate mounting brackets. I mounted a sportster seat to my 750 and all I had to do was get some T-6 aircraft aluminum, cut, bend and fasten out a new tounge peice, drill a hole into my rear fender and threw bolt it on using a wing nut for easy removal. And YES it looks good on the bike

What I find so great about bikes is that as long as you put some thought into it, one can make just about anything they want to fit and work on a bike. Just plan it out and it will come.
Thanks, great insight. I knew it could be done, I guess I just need a push over the edge from someone who's walked the line. I'll acquire the seat this weekend and hopefully I'll figure it out. I've been really happy with the work I've gotten done on it so far. Every day I work on the bike, I kick myself for loosing 55 days to the shop last season in prime summer weather.

Quote:
Unfortunately (?) not everyone has your butt or build
I found the picture of the Harley solo seat in my gallery
Here it is.. doesn't look too bad!
That picture looks great! Thanks for sharing. I can't distinguish all the straps on the rear seat or what appears to be luggage on the back, but I'm hoping to remove the entire silver handrail if it looks ok.

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
26,440 miles
MF Battery
V&H Cruisers
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Search Goddess

You can remove the handrail, HOWEVER.. you will need to replace it with something else since it also holds the rear fender in place.
What is used in that case is what is called Fender Struts
http://www.mcadvantages.com/fender_s...043,38,218.cfm
The other option is fabricating the existing handrail/fender strut or welding a piece to hold the rear fender
http://www.custom-choppers-guide.com...e-fenders.html

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I don't run fender struts and have not fabbed a custom fender,the two front bolts that hold the struts also bolt through the fender .There is plenty of frame that goes back to the rear of the seat for additional fender support bolts and the rear portion of the seat bears its weight on the frame.The rear seat bolt through the fender is there to secure the seat to the bike,so the struts aren't mandatory but they are good for supporting saddlebag bracket/supports,and you must use them with a backrest/ sissybar(factory style).

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Hello again!

So I got my new (to me) seat last night and just came in from playing with it a little. As I was preparing for, it doesn't fit at all right now, so I'll be starting to think how I'll be working the modification & hope I don't make it look horrible!

I'm attaching some pix and as always, your input and suggestions are welcome. Hopefully I can get this done in time for the run I'm planning over Memorial Weekend. It will be a long ride from Ohio to D.C. on that stock seat!

I like how far up the crotch part of the seat shoots up the gas tank. However, I'm not happy (at first sit anyway) with how high up it makes me sit- although I have gotten a little further back as I'd hoped. The rear seat is great size, but with the handrails as they sit now, we're looking and almost 2 3/4" between the bolt hole of the seat and the rear fender. I'm hesitant to start cutting on the handrail so will be playing with the idea of removing them completely and see how it looks from there.

Sadly I doubt I'll get much more done this evening as I'll be dismantling my stove/range to replace the electronic brain in it. A house with 5 hungry kids does not a happy dad make! Must get that fixed ASAP before I have to be committed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2210.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2211.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2212.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2213.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2214.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2578  

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
26,440 miles
MF Battery
V&H Cruisers
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered