looking for the backrest lockbox - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

looking for the backrest lockbox

i just bought my bike and the door is missing off the lockbox on the backrest, if anyone has one lying around or knows where i can get one that would be a great help. i have been looking for one for about a week now and can't find it anywhere.

thanks guys

tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome. That is a common problem with the Vulcan 750, due to very poor design. It is not cheap to fix. You will need the toolbox front assembly, $43.75, and a new lock assembly with keys, $69.84. The new keys will not match the other locks on the bike unless you have it rekeyed. I would rather carry 2 keys. But the problem is, it will break again. When mine broke the first time, I caught it before it fell off, and saved the lock. I replaced the tool box cover, but no longer use it. It is designed to break. It might be a good place to keep your registration and insurance stuff, but don't open and close it on a regular basis. You can get the parts from your dealer, or www.bikebandit.com. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Garage
I've made a custom cover that locks on. I'll see if I could find the old thread I posted it on. I might be tempted to make another one.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

There are other options tkrenz. We do have a Sell or Swap forum where this thread should actually be. Their may be a member who has an extra one to sell.

There is also a direct link to vn750 parts on ebay without leaving this forum.

A member here made his own replacement a few months ago, and posted pics of the process. (EDIT. - see shark88 above)
Quite doable if you are DIY guy.

If/when you get a new plastic toolbox, reinforce the plastic hinge with duct tape or a short piano hinge and a few short bolts and nuts.

You can get a new cabinet lock at any building supply or hardware store for just a few dollars:
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...to=330&cat=505

Use a bit of silicone chalking or rtv sealant on the lock, to keep it from coming loose, and falling off.

More info From the Vulcan Verses.

Toolbox
Quote:
Q: accidentally leaned on the rear tool compartment door and it broke off. Wonder how much it will cost to replace?
A:You might be able to fix it yourself. Go to a hardware store like Home Depot, Lowe's or whatever you have in that area. Look for piano wire hinges. They do come in various sizes and lengths. They are easy to cut down to the length needed. If you don't want screws showing from the outside, try using industrial type glue, Liquid Nails, Gorilla Glue, silicone adhesive, anything in that line. I'm not sure of the price of the hinges but I know it has to be cheaper than a new box.

You would have to use extra washers or something under the hinge to get it to the level of the edge..sorry...forgot about that...don't have my box anymore to look at...lol A strip of plastic/wood could be glued there (on the inside) to allow the hinge to be flat with the broken edge. just drill the holes through that also to mount. Knifemaker

Bob, the part number is 32098-1057, and www.ronayers.com has it for $29.24 (+ $7 shipping) if you want the OEM replacement

If you do purchase a new one, before you install it, take a piece of duct tape and apply it to the inside of the cover. This will prevent the hinge from breaking and if it does, you will not loose your door and the expensive lock. The duct tape thing works great on older hinges too. Saved my lock twice in the past 8 years... Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog

Gypsy has a pic on her site where she took a drill and drilled about 4 holes on each portion of the toolbox and used zip ties to hold it together. As long as you do not get them too close to the end to cause the plastic to crack your ok. She did this process, I believe after the box had snapped.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this gives you a few ideas for ways to fix this yourself on a budget, and stay away from Ma Kawi`s stealerships.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-26-2010 at 12:25 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
then there is the Stainless Steal option... just look a few threads down from this one
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys that is very helpful, sorry about the misplaced post. as i was reading this i thought that it might be cool to make one out of diamond plate so that it's nice and strong.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
some SS diamond plate would look nice
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:44 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Welcome. That is a common problem with the Vulcan 750, due to very poor design. It is not cheap to fix. You will need the toolbox front assembly, $43.75, and a new lock assembly with keys, $69.84. The new keys will not match the other locks on the bike unless you have it rekeyed. I would rather carry 2 keys. But the problem is, it will break again. When mine broke the first time, I caught it before it fell off, and saved the lock. I replaced the tool box cover, but no longer use it. It is designed to break. It might be a good place to keep your registration and insurance stuff, but don't open and close it on a regular basis. You can get the parts from your dealer, or www.bikebandit.com. Jerry.
Anyone who goes the route of stock, dealer replacement has never been to this site.
Besides being a total rip-off, like ya said, it'll eventually just break again.
Buy used for cheap or build your own!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I agree the stock lid is probably the dumbest thing on the bike, and totally unusable in stock form. I replaced mine with a new one a long time ago when it broke, still had the lock, that made it look right again, and I just never used it. On my '93, I didn't even put the bolts in the seat, because back in the days before MF batteries, you had to remove the seat every couple of weeks to check/add water top the battery, and that meant opening the door every time. It obviously would not last long that way.

I am currently trying to figure out a way to eliminate the box altogether, but I can't use a bag like I've seen others do, because it sticks out too far. I have a luggage rack, and use a T bag on the backrest, which sits on the rack.

I also don't want whatever I do to look homemade. I can easily design something that will work, I just can't manufacture it without some equipment I don't have. Whoever made those radiator grill covers should be able to do it. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
I also don't want whatever I do to look homemade. I can easily design something that will work, I just can't manufacture it without some equipment I don't have. Whoever made those radiator grill covers should be able to do it. Jerry.
take a drawing, or even the tool box into your local Community College and have one of their students cut it out for you on a CNC Machine. or better yet since you are in Phoenix Area... stop by Arizona Automotive Institute and have someone in the fabricating classes design something for you and build it for you... It helps them get a good grade, supports their design classes, and would only cost you the cost of materials. Its a win win situation.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 02-27-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement