seat height change? good idea or bad? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Jesus-Family-Coffee-Bike

seat height change? good idea or bad?

I am going to recover my seat and replace or add more foam. Most of my rides are no more than a couple hours so I can't justify droppin $400 on a new seat. PLUS I like the look and style of the stock seat. My plan is to "rebuild" with memory phone and marine vinyl from the fabric store. Here's where you guys come in. Will it look corny if I raised the height of the seat (with foam) a couple inches. I'm 6'2" and my legs could really use the extra room. Good idea or bad idea? Please give me your honest opinions. If it's a bad idea, is there any other way to get a little more room for my legs other than highway pegs or forward controls?

http://photobucket.com/webby778_bike_pics

old bike:
93 vn750 - Gray/Navy - Mac Staggered Dual Tapered Tips Exhaust - DEI exhaust wrap - K&N air filters - ACCT rebuild - Deka ETX15L MF battery.
current bike:
95 vs800 - Tan/Maroon custom - Cobra pipes - Jardine seats - stage 1 jet kit, carbs re-tuned - 21' front wheel - crash bars with pegs - Willie & Max saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
might I make a suggestion... I am in the process of making my 2nd complete custom seat, and have also done the "Stock Seat Mod"... I have found that just by reducing the seat height and moving the "Rise" pushed back as far as possable and the Front Platform dished out as low as possible... being 6'0" I even felt cramped at stock seat height. After my Mod, I feel very comfortable. on my first custom seat I put in a 100+ mile ride without complaints... the only reason for making my second custom seat is I wanted a 2 up seat... My first seat was supposed to be a 2 up, but got cut down to a solo... (I mixed up a bad batch of resin and ruined the passenger pilon seat pan...ohh well live and learn.) This time around I am taking my time and making sure to do every thing right the first time... also looking for some leather this time around... went with the vinyl... my butt didn't like it... in the heat of summer my legs couldn't breath as well as pleather or leather.

P.S. my sig pic is my custom solo before covering... the passenger pilon in the pic was just an idea to fix my mistake... Total cost on my seat (to include fiberglass resin, fiberglass matting, brushes, sand paper, foam and vinyl) $60 bucks... and that is on the steep side. my second custom is running about $35 for everything mentioned... I used the internet this time around to get the best deals on my supplies.... now if the weather would just warm up a bit so i can start laying down the glass...

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 01-22-2010 at 12:03 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't see why your plan wouldn't work. The memory foam should be firmer than the stock foam, which will raise you up a little, even without the extra thickness. But I would still go with the thicker foam. Be sure to test it for comfort before attaching the final cover. Good luck!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
a note on memory foam as a seat padding... most people that have used memory foam by itself have found it to be very uncomfortable on rides longer than a few miles... but if you use a firm foam as a base layer and a medium density foam for an intermediate layer, and then memory foam for your top layer you should have a very comfortable seat in the end. check out www.DIYMotorCycleSeat.com
This guy gives a great tutorial on the properties behind modding a stock seat to make a real good Motorcycle Seat.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Jesus-Family-Coffee-Bike

slim and flight, thanks for the advice!

slim, you said "have found that just by reducing the seat height and moving the "Rise" pushed back as far as possible and the Front Platform dished out as low as possible... being 6'0" I even felt cramped at stock seat height. After my Mod, I feel very comfortable."

so is my idea good or bad?
I was going to keep it as two passenger seat... the part where the DRIVER sits will be a few inches higher and the part where the RIDER sits (behind the driver) will be higher as well bu maybe not quite as high, and maybe it will taper off so it meets looks proportionate to the stock back rest.

...For those of you who have one, will this keep me from being able to add a protac driver backrest?

ALSO

...what do you suggest for adhesive to make the foam stick to the shell of the seat?

old bike:
93 vn750 - Gray/Navy - Mac Staggered Dual Tapered Tips Exhaust - DEI exhaust wrap - K&N air filters - ACCT rebuild - Deka ETX15L MF battery.
current bike:
95 vs800 - Tan/Maroon custom - Cobra pipes - Jardine seats - stage 1 jet kit, carbs re-tuned - 21' front wheel - crash bars with pegs - Willie & Max saddlebags
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Vintage bike addict

Contact cement. Mod it to fit you.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I use layers of 1/4" thick padding glued together with headliner adhesive.. it works great... the problem with adding padding to your seat is that it pushes you more forward as well, where as removing padding scoots you back. Check out the link i provided in my second post... read it through very thoroughly... I based my seat mods on his work and got excellent results.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Jesus-Family-Coffee-Bike

oh wow!!
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ is an incredible site. It has inspired me to document my eat rebuild with photos. Hopefully I can get to it soon!! Thanks Slim.

old bike:
current bike:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
DIY Motorcycle Seat.pdf this is the entire sight made into a pdf document for easy referance also check out the link in my sig for more great custom ideas for our bikes and bikes in general.

also check out My custom seat build thread

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 01-23-2010 at 12:35 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Your bike s a '93, same year as my first one. It has the exact same seat as my current '02. Is there anything wrong with your seat, like rips or tears? I put over 80,000 comfortable miles on my '93 stock seat, shortly before trading it in, one of the buttons popped off. Otherwise it was perfect. I am being very careful with my current stock seat, hoping that it will last as long as the bike. The Vulcan 750 has a few problems, but IMO, the seat isn't one of them.

If you are still determined to do it, and are not into upholstery (I'm a pretty decent mechanic, but couldn't do upholstery to save my life), I would suggest having a local shop do it, or there is also a company called Sargent that does excellent work on seats. A number of places, including Sargent, can custom build you a seat designed to correct whatever specific problems you might have. A used Mustang seat might also be a good way to go, if you can find one at a decent price. Based on personal experience, I would stay away from Corbin, though some people seem to like them. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement