About engine guards... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

About engine guards...

I understand that engine guards are a good investment for your bike, specially if you are new to riding (like me). However, other than the more expensive Wingerline or the not-so-impresive OEM guards (I'm not sure if they fit my 86 bike), I can not find any other used or new guard for my 86 vn750. Does any one knows if they exist and if they do, how to get them? Any info is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Vintage bike addict

Someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any vulcan 700 or 750 case guards will fit. Check ebay.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Calif Rider

Antig I would say is right these bikes were made for 20 years with very little change to them all. I have a 2004 and bought a old,but new never used quard for a 87 VN. It was painted with black enamel paint, no crome. It bolts on different then the new crome ones but still fits.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I've only see seen the 2, Wingerline and OEM guards and neither do much to protect the engine on these bikes, they are more or less dress-up items.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I believe any OEM or Wingerline case guards made for a vn700/750 will fit any year. The local dealer had a older (`86, I think) vn750 for sale when I bought mine privately almost 2 years ago. It had case guards that he agreed to sell me, but when the salesman and I went out to check for fit, we both agreed that it didn`t look like it would fit my bike.

I had not yet found the vn750 forum, and didn`t know that the front exhaust pipe usually needs to be loosened or removed in order to get the case guard into position, and get the bolts started. So out of ignorance, I let the guard slip away from me.

So if you find one for sale that you like, snap it up. If it fits one vn700/750, it should fit any or all of them.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Any guard from Kawasaki will fit. However, the only use I can see for them is as a place to mount highway pegs. Most "engine guards", or "crash guards" will do nothing to protect either the rider or the bike in an accident. And dropping a bike while pushing it can sometimes cause more damage with a guard than without.

I remember a story in a magazine where one of the staffers dropped a large touring cruiser at a gas pump, it had "guards", and because the guards stuck out so far, it didn't just fall over, but the guards acted as a pivot point, causing it to wind up almost upside down. It sustained over $5000 in damage.

My sisters '99 S10 pickup got rear ended at a red light. It was the base model with no rear bumper. The body shop said there was nothing but sheet metal damage, but that if it had had a bumper, there would likely have been serious frame damage. Seems that the '94 and up S10s have a weak point designed into the frame, between the cab and the bed, that is designed to buckle if the truck sustains a moderate impact at either end. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Jerry is right here, the "guards" guard nothing really. The Vulcans motor is so narrow being a V twin that you would have to tear off alot of stuff before the road ever go close to touching the motor...so the "Case guards" Kaw sells for the bike do not even guard the engine case.

And yes, it has been shown that the larger bars like the Wingerline can actualy cause more damage to both the rider and the bike in an accident. They might , on the vulcan, help with a tip over in your garage, but at speed are pretty useless in terms of protection.

A study done by the CHP showed that the engine guards they had on their KZ1000's in fact increased the likely hood of upper leg trauma to the rider, and in some cases caused twice the damage to the bike. It seems that instead of sliding on it's side in a fall, the bike would roll over , causing damage to both sides of the bike...and tearing off stuff on top.

Oddly, even with this information, they still issued the CHiPs bikes with the bars, because they had no where else to mount the sirens and lights.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info

Based on your comments, it seems that what I heard was useful, the engine guards, probably is not. I understand that they are not designed for protection at pretty much any speed, but for a no-speed tip over I thought was ok... perhaps not even for that. Well, I guess I will be saving the money for the guards. Thank you everyone.
Karl, aka PR_V_Rider
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Assuming correctly that the guard doesn't actually guard anything, if you plan on taking trips then highway pegs can be a nice addition. That's what I got mine for.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

If you decide that you want highway bars, here is one way to attach them without the engine guard.
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...501&si=highway pegs&perpage=12

I don`t know if Cspinner still makes them, but I know lance328 will fabricate a set if you want them, and don`t have the inclination to make your own.

Here is another link to highway pegs, as Knifemaker built them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifema...7602277630067/

These appear to be easier for a DIY guy to fabricate with access only to ordinary hand and power tools you already have. If you haven`t already clicked on the flickr photo links at the bottom of KM`s signature, do it now. You may pick up some more ideas for mods to your own bike.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement