Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
Tourmaster Venture Pant

As I noted in the Holiday Wish List thread, new riding pants were at the top of the list.

We went to Donnelson Cycles, where I bought my FJR , to look for a pair Saturday. This is one of the larger bike dealers in the St. Louis area, and they carry a pretty extensive line of gear.

I must have looked at 10 different pairs of pants, and ended up trying on perhaps half of them. There were some pants that were "4 season" , meaning they had insulated liners, but also had panels or outer shells that could be removed exposing a mesh pant underneath. Neat, but I already have a nice pair of mesh pants.

After looking at all the features , and finding ones that fit the way I thought they should, I ended up picking out a pair of Tourmaster Venture pants:

http://tinyurl.com/y85rvgz

Having short legs, it was nice to find a pair that I could wear as overpants, but still allowed me to adjust the knee pads so, well, so they fit over my knees. A problem with some others I tried on.

These are not the "AIR" pants..(the ones with the mesh option) ..so they consisit of an outer shell that has the waterproof liner sewn into it. (The "Air" pant waterproof liner is a removable seperate inner pant)
The Venture pant has a quilted insulated pant that is removable. Both legs have full length zippers down the sides,with velcro flaps.. but unless you really need to keep your boots on when puting the pants on, there is no reason to unzip them...I took off my shoes and even with heavy and semi baggy jeans on I was able to pull the pants up.

With the jeans and the liner in the pant felt a little bulky, but not confining..I was able to get on and sit comfortably on a motorccyle and get off without feeling clumsy.

All the seams appear to be double stitched, the CE armor in the knees is unobtrusive, and there is padding in the hips, but not armor. (most pants are like this BTW)

I have not however had a chance to road test them, but the reviews I read all seem very positive. I also noticed that they do offer the pant in a Hi Vis yellow, which I might have got if they had them, but not totaly sure. Black is warmer in cold weather...........

If I get a chance to try them out I will add to this post, and if needed, I can post a photo.

Overall my impression is that the pants are a great deal for the price, and worth considering as a cold weather to cool weather riding pant.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Expert Advice Giver

I have a pair of Tourmaster Caliber pants and their Jett II jacket and love them both. I bought my wife the Venture pants (womens of course) and she swears by their comfort. I am sure you will like yours. I like the quality of the construction and also the versatility of being able to pull out the insulation and ride from the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Outer Banks Islands. The adjustable knee armor adds to the fit and feeling of protection. I don't think I will ever go back to the leather jacket and leather chaps, unless Santa brings me that Triumph Rocket III. A man's gotta dream

1994 VN750
32K+
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Avon Venom Front & Rear Tire
Mustang Seat
Fire and Steel Luggage Rack
Fire and Steel Engine Guard
Fire and Steel Sissy Bar
KawaVulcan Saddlebags
eBay Genuine Imitation Chrome Mirrors
Kury Chrome Levers
Battery Tendered
Taillight LED'd
Splines Lubed
Wheelies Popped

2009 Triumph Rocket III
1974 Suzuki TS250
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My recommendation for riding pants are Draggin Jeans www.dragginjeans.com. I own 2 pair of these, and while they have never been "crash tested" , not by me anyway, they look good and are comfortable, and fit real sized people. They have also scored fairly high in tests. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
As I noted in the Holiday Wish List thread, new riding pants were at the top of the list.

We went to Donnelson Cycles, where I bought my FJR , to look for a pair Saturday. This is one of the larger bike dealers in the St. Louis area, and they carry a pretty extensive line of gear.

I must have looked at 10 different pairs of pants, and ended up trying on perhaps half of them. There were some pants that were "4 season" , meaning they had insulated liners, but also had panels or outer shells that could be removed exposing a mesh pant underneath. Neat, but I already have a nice pair of mesh pants.

After looking at all the features , and finding ones that fit the way I thought they should, I ended up picking out a pair of Tourmaster Venture pants:

http://tinyurl.com/y85rvgz

Having short legs, it was nice to find a pair that I could wear as overpants, but still allowed me to adjust the knee pads so, well, so they fit over my knees. A problem with some others I tried on.

These are not the "AIR" pants..(the ones with the mesh option) ..so they consisit of an outer shell that has the waterproof liner sewn into it. (The "Air" pant waterproof liner is a removable seperate inner pant)
The Venture pant has a quilted insulated pant that is removable. Both legs have full length zippers down the sides,with velcro flaps.. but unless you really need to keep your boots on when puting the pants on, there is no reason to unzip them...I took off my shoes and even with heavy and semi baggy jeans on I was able to pull the pants up.

With the jeans and the liner in the pant felt a little bulky, but not confining..I was able to get on and sit comfortably on a motorccyle and get off without feeling clumsy.

All the seams appear to be double stitched, the CE armor in the knees is unobtrusive, and there is padding in the hips, but not armor. (most pants are like this BTW)

I have not however had a chance to road test them, but the reviews I read all seem very positive. I also noticed that they do offer the pant in a Hi Vis yellow, which I might have got if they had them, but not totaly sure. Black is warmer in cold weather...........

If I get a chance to try them out I will add to this post, and if needed, I can post a photo.

Overall my impression is that the pants are a great deal for the price, and worth considering as a cold weather to cool weather riding pant.

KM
Thanks for the review KM. I'm thinking of getting a pair myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
My recommendation for riding pants are Draggin Jeans www.dragginjeans.com. I own 2 pair of these, and while they have never been "crash tested" , not by me anyway, they look good and are comfortable, and fit real sized people. They have also scored fairly high in tests. Jerry.
I've looked at these before and personally feel they offer very little protection or functionality for the price. They may help with road abrasion, but do not offer much for protection as far as having any sort of padding what so ever. You would have to buy under armor to wear under them, or purchase separately the knee and hip armor kits. They are also not waterproof so you would have to wear rain pants over them. I just don't see them doing much more than the tough Dikie(filter won't let me spell the Brand name correctly) jeans I can get at Walmart for $15 a pair. Draggin Jeans are over $100 a pair.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:12 AM

They are expensive, but they look good, fit good, are comfortable (if something is not comfortable, it takes the fun out of riding, and I wouldn't wear it anyway), and I believe they do offer significant protection over cheap Walmart jeans. They are not roadracing leathers, but those cost 10 times as much, are miserably uncomfortable, and would really look weird on a cruiser. And they won't protect you from broken bones either. As for rain, what rain? I live in Phoenix, AZ. No rain here. When I travel, I rarely ever take rain clothes, I don't even have any anymore, I just get wet, and dry out. If I need them, I always carry dry clothes in a plastic bag in my T-Bag, since you need 2 sets of clothes when traveling anyway, one to wear while you wash the other. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 AM

You're right, in AZ you really don't need warm or waterproof riding gear. But many others here, like myself, live in states where it gets cold and does rain, some getting a lot more rainy months than others. So your recommendation for Draggin Jeans would really only be nice to have during the summer months on a nice sunny day if anything to most here.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
You can add knee and hip armor to Drag'n Jeans for about an extra 50 bucks. (not sure if it is CE approved)
That brings the price to about 150 bucks, which is more than the pants I got or a few others in the armored textile arena.

Dragging jeans one asset is they are better than normal jeans but still look like them. Many riders do not like the "Power Rangers" look and prefer the leather jacket and jeans look. I tend to opt for features and protection over fashion.

In the summer mesh pants are the ticket IMO. Jeans are just hot, dragging style or not.

My only issue with the draggin jeans is the kevlar lining does not cover the entire leg, and that there is no closure over the ankle to keep the jean from riding up the leg in a spill.

The Tourmaster pant will mostly used as an "over pant" for colder weather rides to work. My work pants are light cotton slacks and provide no warmth and zero protection. Being able to get to work and just pull off the outer pant and not have to completely change clothes makes them very usefull to me.

(We do have a bathroom to change in , but eeeeeeeeeew, it's a mens restroom...and we all know how icky those can be. LOL)

The Tourmaster pant can if needed be worn as a regular pant, and with the insulated liner out should be usefull untill temps make me move to the my mesh pants.

Many riders still just wear regular jeans, so even switching to the draggin jeans is an improvement. If you do not need the benifit of waterproofing or insulation, and want something that blends into the crowd in social gatherings the kevlar jeans are usefull. My only suggestion is to buy a get of those "boot gaiters" that clip to the cuffs of your pants and hold them down over your ankles. Kevlar will not do you any good if the pant leg rides up in a crash.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:31 PM

That's what I was trying to get at KM.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
DEKA battery
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement