Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
College Biker

Custom work

hey guys i just joined and i need some information on custom work.
i laid my bike down this fall and i fixed most everything but it still needs some love so i figured i would do some custom work to it this winter.
I got a 92 vn750 and i am looking for good sorces and parts to do the fallowing:

Rake 4-8 degrees

Fork exstensions

seats

bars

as well as a new throutle and kill switch
cool air intake

and a good crash bar
any help is aprishiated

sry about spelling

dont know if this is the right form so i reposted in general discussion

Last edited by firekidnh; 12-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Google "forks by frank" for fork extesions.

Flanders makes a zillion handlebars. NO one I know makes 750 specfic items you mentioned other than seats...here google Corbin .

There is always JC Whitney and J+P cycle parts, but by custom you mean aftermarket stuff as opposed to taking it to OCC right?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here are a couple of engine guards http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...uard&_osacat=0

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
College Biker

ya all but the throttle and kill switch i might be able to save them but they wiggle and cant go any tighter (due to accident)

92 Vulcan 750
painted black
de goated
extended back rest
luggage rack
front bag
drag specialtys grips (goin to be changed)
front floor boards
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you could always go to larger bars by using a risers made for larger bars, then put on custom switches and grips... a lot of work, but is doable.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Search Goddess

Slim is on the right track about changing bars
The project bike that isn't going anywhere right now has a 1500 front end on it. That's triple trees and forks. Same diameter as the frame neck so no modifications there EXCEPT the tab on the frame was ground down for clearance. This eliminates the front wheel "Park" lock but gives you 1" handlebars and a couple of degrees added rake if you want.
Going with the 1" bars means switching all of the controls of course. I opted out of that and stayed with the 7/8" bars and shimmed them.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 10:41 PM

If you want additional rake, your one and only choice there, unless you are a custom frame builder, is to take the frame to a custom shop, and have the steering head cut and rewelded for more rake. This will not be cheap. And it will require longer forks, which can be obtained from "Forking by Frank". If you are planning on installing tall bars, like ape hangers, you will need all new cables, brake hose, and you will need to extend the wiring. You can get custom made cables from Motion Pro. You will also need a new longer speedometer cable None of this will be cheap. Your own your own as far as a seat goes. Don't know what you mean by cool air intake, unless you mean the earshave thing.

But if you are planning on building a chopper out of a VN750, I can tell you already it will look awful. I've already Photoshopped one.Yuk. I am currently designing a chopper to be built out of a Honda Rebel 250. The frame work alone will cost about $500. I'm expecting the whole thing to be in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000, plus the $1800 I paid for the bike, but it will look good, and still only cost about the same as one of those cheap Chinese made 300cc Johnny Pag choppers, only I get to build mine myself, and it will be reliable because it's a Honda. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
College Biker

im trying to avoid cutting the frame and i heard somewhere you can get raked trees that would rake the front end. as for handle bars im not planing on apes, more looking for milwakie twins which i found and will probuletly buy after i paint the bike. a cool air intake is a type of intake that you put on your bike or car to get more/better air to it. my dad has one on his vn1500 and i would like to put one on my bike for performance.

If i have to my friend can do the frame work, he did his harley so i can either go to him or to the chopper shop 20 mins away.

92 Vulcan 750
painted black
de goated
extended back rest
luggage rack
front bag
drag specialtys grips (goin to be changed)
front floor boards
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
every one strongly recommends staying away from raked trees... you use a raked tree to get the geometry back with in tolerable specs. you need to also figure in your trail when doing a rake
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:03 PM

A place called Seeger Cycles makes raked trees for some bikes, and they are DOT approved. However, they do not make them for the Vulcan 750. When it comes to more than some bolt on accessories for the VN750, you're pretty much on your own.

If you do have the steering head cut and rewelded, make sure it is done by a professional, and stay as conservative as possible. Not only will more rake (in the steering head) result in sloppy handling, and the tendency for the front wheel to "flop" to one side or the other, and a much larger turning radius, it will also put more stress on the steering head area of the frame (a professional should add some extra reinforcement), and also on the forks themselves. You can only go so far with conventional forks, beyond that, you will need to use girder type forks, to handle the extra stress. A really raked out chopper, even if properly built, will not be a safe bike to ride, compared to stock. It may be fine under normal conditions, but if you need to make sudden evasive maneuvers to avoid an obstacle that just appeared in front of you, you are going to be in a world of hurt.

Having said that, I would love to have a bike just like the Captain America chopper from the movie "Easy Rider", only with a drum front brake. The Easy Rider bike didn't have a front brake (can you say "suicide"), and a disc looks totally wrong on a chopper. And I would ride it, I would just be really careful "where" I rode it. Definitely NOT a practical motorcycle. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement