Saddlebags - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Saddlebags

I am looking for a saddle bag for my VN. Do i need to instal any protector to keep the bags from falling agais the tire of the bike, or will my shock keep it out of the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Are you looking for hardbags or soft? Lots of guys, including me, have just thrown softbags with a yoke over the seat and strapped them down. I haven`t driven that far with them, but for commuting to work and running around town, these worked ok for me.

If you are looking for something more secure (lockable) and not too expensive, check out these Mutazu hardbags that sloppy has here.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...utazu+hardbags

He used the Kawi Fire and Steel bag supports which are pricey, at about $130 I think.

The Mutazu GA, LN, and FY hardbags that fit the vn750 are $115. The GA is the biggest at 7.5 inches thick, but has no lights included. The LN is 6.5 inches and the FY is 5.5 inches, and both of them have built in taillights.

They also have some universal mounting brackets for about $29, IIRC. He has a link to Mutazu in his thread, but I will put it here too.
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=10&s=prod.php

If you are on a really tight budget, I just spotted some soft leather bags they have for $70 on here too.

I hope this helps find some bags that work for you.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 12-07-2009 at 04:15 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre82s View Post
I am looking for a saddle bag for my VN. Do i need to instal any protector to keep the bags from falling agais the tire of the bike, or will my shock keep it out of the way?
i would recomend supports but u should be ok but its a risk i wouldnt take on long trecs.... now the blinkers will probably need to be relocated... now the relocation and saddlebag supports came with my bike when i bought it so as of where or ow much not to sure ... i would start with ebay and u may find some here

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM

I have Saddlemen hard saddlebages I got from www.cruisercustomizing.com. They have some good cheap ones on their. They are medium size and are big enuf for what I need them for. You might be able to go bigger cause it looks like they would fit. My mounts are three peice universal from a "ma and pa" bike shop. the helmet locks had to come off, I didnt relockat them. The turn signals are easy to relockat with a universal license plat mount from a local Cycle Gear store. turn signals as well, thier smaller then stock but do the job.

All together I spent about $150 and it took mabey an hour to put it all together.

Best thing I'v done to the bike so far. And for all those out there that have stuffed thier jacket full of groceries you know what I'm talking about. Unless I'm the only one that has done that!! LOL!!

CLARK47

2005 VN750
1,200 MILES WHEN NEW TO ME
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Lurker

Hey Dre82s,

The saddlebag supports are designed to keep your bags from getting wrapped up in your rear wheel. If your bags have enough free play in them that they even come close to the rear wheel, you should go for some kind of support. Some people here have made their own or found supports for less than $30, some people have spent much more. It's a safety issue. How much is your piece mind and your safety worth to you?

I'm a big fan of a penny of prevention is worth a dollar of cure.

Hope that helps -Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328

Last edited by Sloppyburpfest; 12-15-2009 at 10:58 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
my cheap soft bags hit the tire... I am in limbo on what i am going to do
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I bought some supports cheep of ebay that I had to bend together a bit to match up the holes. It worked great for me. I didn't relocate my signals though. The willie & Max bags I have fit pretty good. I also mounted led brake lights to the back of the bag. Now I did shorten the length of the stock signals & that helped. Here's a Pic & Here

You'll also notice I changed to a different seat but I had these bags before that. I always had them mounted under the seat. The yoke is not adjustable any more. I made a stronger one piece yoke to better support the bags. I did leave the zippers intact.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I went whole hog, got the Fire and Steel brackets from Kawasaki, which also relocate the turn signals, and the bolt on Auburn Leather bags, also from Kawasaki. I got them from Michael Andretti Powersports online, for about 70% of what the local stealerdealer wanted, plus no tax or shipping. Still came to almost $400. But it was a good investment, it was done right, the bags have been on the bike for 8 years and 43,000 miles, and still look like new. They really make the bike look good too.

If the Kawasaki brackets are still available, and you plan on keeping the bike for awhile, I recommend getting them. Or maybe you could find them used. They can also be used with pretty much any throw over bag, or with hard bags. What were once common accessories are now becoming hard to find. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Adventuregeek

Before I joined the Mutazu Dark Side, I had leather bags with no supports. They mostly sat okay on the shocks, but when I loaded them up they deformed and wrapped around the shock a wee bit. Looked weird, although well clear of the tire. I have the GA hard bags now (which require supports), and don't miss them leather things a bit.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
I bought my saddle bags from Saddleman.

I LOVE the size. They're big enough that I can pack a whole weekend for myself, throw the bed roll on the passenger seat and take off, or I can pack at least one day for me and the ol' lady to spend together.

I didn't order supports because I was stubborn (and in a hurry to get them on). While the don't touch the tires, it doesn't look quite as nice as it will when I get supports for it- kinda makes her look a little bow legged. I'm also disappointed at the fact the helmet lock ripped through the leather- one reason why I'm removing it! I think I'm going to try to use the Willie & Max universal bag supports- Iron Pony has them for like $60 so that's reasonable.

As for the "long trek" comment, I have to say, I rode from Columbus Ohio to Nashville Tennessee with my bags as they are with no problems. Made for a nice ride and it was great to have all my gear with me considering it was 35 degrees on the return trip

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around