Leather Jacket - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Leather Jacket

I have the attached leather jacket and my only complaint about it is that the strap that goes across the neck at the top and buttons is a little tight. I need it strapped in Winter to keep the wind out but was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to either stretch or loosen leather. Can I heat it and stretch it somehow?

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 11-02-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Late to the party

I know this may not help ya out Lib, but when I went for a new jacket last year I went collarless(Icon Motorhead) and use a neck warmer for colder weather. You could just leave the top unfastened and go with a neck warmer. I'm a big fan of layering systems and a neck warmer works great and feels good too!

Here's a link to the cadillac variety. Mine is just a cheapo I picked up somewhere I can't even remember.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...r--642557.html

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM
At Least I Can Spell!

I bought a neck warmer, or gaiter I guess, at WalMart for $3.00. Same isle as the Men's winter gloves. DO NOT PAY MORE ANYWHERE ELSE. It's fleece and I wear it when it's cold, which prevents me from buckling my collar as well. No worries - the three dollar item keeps all the air out, even at 30 degrees.

Now... my fingers.... that's another story.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I have a balaclava that covers my neck and works well. I tuck it onto my jacket and I'm fine. I have to button the neck strap because if I don't it whacks me in the neck at higher speeds. But I also need to able to breathe while riding. LOL!!

Hey msh, check these out. I have them and love them. When I was looking for them I searched everywhere. Trust me when I tell you these are the cheapest ones you can find that have the heating element running the entire length of the fingers and thumb. Most of the cheap 'heated gloves' say the radiation of heat from the back of the palm will run down each finger. Clearly these people aren't bikers:

http://www.brookstone.com/heated-glo...:referralID=NA
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Hey msh, check these out. I have them and love them. When I was looking for them I searched everywhere. Trust me when I tell you these are the cheapest ones you can find that have the heating element running the entire length of the fingers and thumb. Most of the cheap 'heated gloves' say the radiation of heat from the back of the palm will run down each finger. Clearly these people aren't bikers:

http://www.brookstone.com/heated-glo...:referralID=NA
That's an interesting solution, although at that price aren't you in the range of a set of heated grips? Although, it is clearly more cost-effective if you own multiple bikes. What do you wear for an over-glove?

I wonder why you can't use rechargeable batteries with them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
When you say "button" do you really mean "Snap" ?

I also have a leather jacket that I have worn in nasty cold weather that has short strap that snaps to a spot on the neck. Not really tight, but when I wear a turtle neck, a balaclava , and a wool scarf, it is impossible to snap down.

So what I did was to by some snaps that were the same size at a fabric store and made myself an "Extender". I figured how much longer the strap needed to be, found an old piece of leather and installed a "female" snap at one end for the extender to fit on the jackets short strap , and then installed a "male" snap to fit the snap on the neck where the original snap attatched.

It was only about 2 inches long but did the job.

(if it is in fact a button ...that goes through a hole, you can still make the same extender by putting a button on one end of the extender and putting a hole in the other)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 12-02-2009 at 04:59 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I think maybe I'll just fasten it then put something in there that will stretch it some and let it sit for a bit. I only need a little bit of extra room anyway. Hopefully that works. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Will I damge the jacket if I put something in there to stretch it and leave it for a little while?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I have the attached leather jacket and my only complaint about it is that the strap that goes across the neck at the top and buttons is a little tight. I need it strapped in Winter to keep the wind out but was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to either stretch or loosen leather. Can I heat it and stretch it somehow?
Leather is pliable, especially when wet. There is an old trick to stretching leather shoes using rubbing alcohol. Basically, get the leather really wet with the alcohol and put the shoe on. The wet leather stretches from the pressure of the inserted foot. The alcohol dries quickly leaving the leather in the stretched state.

I don't know if this would work in your case, but just remember that the leather needs to be stretched out while it dries.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammmy View Post
That's an interesting solution, although at that price aren't you in the range of a set of heated grips? Although, it is clearly more cost-effective if you own multiple bikes. What do you wear for an over-glove?

I wonder why you can't use rechargeable batteries with them.
For the 750 it would be good, no draw on the electrical system. Plus the heat is directed right at your sausage fingers. The grips dont do that well for the back of your hand. Plus if you have nice Kuri grips like I did, the rubber is so thick that the heat doesn't transfer through very well.

I like those gloves but they need a gauntlet that would go over the cuff of your jacket.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

^ They're actually glove liners, I wear them under my riding gloves which go over my jacket sleaves.

I ride a couple bikes so gloves are more practical than heated grips. My only complaint while riding was how cold my fingers got. These liners took care of that completely...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement