Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Man, what a difference.....

I was finally able to replace the the windshield I busted back in February in a low speed lay down, and went with the Plexistar 2 from National Cycle. I've been riding this entire time without a windshield and at times, it could get physically draining having to hold onto the handlebars so tightly and trying to keep my head from blowing back at 65+ MPH.

Since it has started getting colder in the morning, it has been a rather chilly ride into work with cold air and wind hitting me right in the chest, hands and helmet.

I ordered the windshield Friday and it arrived yesterday. The ride into work this morning was soooo much better. I was able the finally relax a little bit and not have to ride so tense at 75 MPH on the highway as well as taking a lot of cold wind off of me, which in turn allowed me to focus more on my riding which is always a good thing. Such a much more pleasant ride.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Are you going to put any sort of lowers on the bike to keep the wind off your legs?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

I am so with you on that one Dawg. A Bro in my RC keeps giving me grief about the shields that I put on both my rides, he says they look stupid enough to run me off the road...LOL. I just take a look at him when we are running 70+, smile and calmly stretch my neck while he's got that death grip and lowered head. Makes me laugh.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah, windscreens rock. Will never own a streetbike without one.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:36 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

I have the Plexi2 as well, but I really hate the buffeting I get at the top of my helmet at higher speeds. With earplugs in to block wind noise, it sounds as if someone is shaking my head like a maraca. Have tried many different angle and height adjustments. Might be the helmet too. But frankly, as I have a Protac backrest keeping me in place, I'd rather ride without the screen.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
I have the Plexi2 as well, but I really hate the buffeting I get at the top of my helmet at higher speeds. With earplugs in to block wind noise, it sounds as if someone is shaking my head like a maraca. Have tried many different angle and height adjustments. Might be the helmet too. But frankly, as I have a Protac backrest keeping me in place, I'd rather ride without the screen.
That is the biggest problem with adding a windscreen. My first windscreen was a Memphis Shades "Hellcat" that took quite a bit of adjustments to get it to work well.

I then went to the Plexi 2 also and went through the same issues, luckily for me the screen was cut down 3-4 inches when I bought it. I then after getting a lower seat (Corbin) I lowered the headlight an inch and repositioned the screen back but not down some. This seemed to kill off any trace of helmet buffeting.

The problem with screens on cruisers seems to be the "layed back" ergos of the bike put your head so far behind the screen that you can't seem to get into that "cone of silence" unless you lean forward.

The size of the rider then can make a world of differnce. As does the type of windscreen used and how it is positioned. This all can be alot of voodo to deal with cause there is no exact measurement or guide to go by in getting a shield set up right.

Part of the issue seems to be the flow of air coming behind the screen. Apparently if there is too much it can be a problem, and if there is not enough it can be a problem too. As I mentioned, I lowered the headlight and that seemed to help. If you look at the side by side photo here:
http://tinyurl.com/desakt

You can see the space between the screen and the headlight actualy got bigger when I lowered the headlight. I think this allowed more air to flow up behind the screen and helped with the helmet buffeting.

I have seen windscreens for some bikes that have holes iin them. Not big enought to negate having a windscreen in the first place, but just large enough to let some oncoming air flow up behind the shield. Here's a photo of of one being compared to a stock screen on a Moto Guzzi :

You can see the T shaped hole in the middle of the screen. It might be worth the effort to try something like this with you PS2 if all else seems to be not working.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Redneck on a rice burner

Location: American by birth,Southern by the grace of God ..,.AMEN !

I have a plexi 3 screen & a vn900 seat w/ backrest.I don't have any helmet buffeting on any of my 3 helmet { 1/2,modular,FF}.I do wear chaps when temp drops below 50,I love the lowers on the plexi 3.I ride with a couple of VTX 1300's & they'd rather look cool then be warm.They both ride{ in November} with german {non-dot}helmets,fingler-less gloves & white high top shoes.I'm pushing them into riding year round with me. I'll take pictures next cold day we ride togeather.LOL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Are you going to put any sort of lowers on the bike to keep the wind off your legs?
Yeah, I'm gonna get some Plexiglas and find some hardware to make my own lowers. I've already talked about it with Lance, he already has an idea for making some lowers so we are gonna put our heads together next time I get a chance to drop by his place. I figure I can come out a lot cheaper this way. I just can't justify spending $200-300 on a set of lowers that I'm only going to use for 2-3 months out of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
I guess I got lucky when I set my shield up because I don't really get any helmet buffeting at 75+ MPH on the highway, even with a good head wind.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement