Quite a few questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Quite a few questions

Hello again!!

I wanted to ask a few questions as I continue to work on Vanessa and get her where I want her:

*12" ape hangers: Does anyone have these on their bike? If so, can you tell me how long your cables/lines had to be to get things back in order or maybe a good way to measure them? When the snow comes I want to pull mine apart and get some nice braided cables and new brake lines run.

*Wingerline Highway bars: How can I measure these to get the proper diameter? I am looking at ordering pegs to mount but I don't want to make the mistake of not measuring properly.

*Willie & Max universal saddle bag mounts: I got my bags on and they are functional but the poor girl looks bow legged as the bags angle in towards the rear wheel behind the springs. Are these a good buy? Do they fit? I'm not so worried about how they look because they'll be covered by the bags, I just want to make sure it's worth the purchase.

*Peg replacement: This is something I haven't looked at too seriously but I want to since it looks like I'll be giving Kuryakyn a good portion of my life savings Of the original front and rear pegs, are these hard to replace? Is there a measurement necessary for the male mount or are these pretty much universal?

*Seat: Ok this one is a doosie! I've read a majority of the posts on this forum about the options, but I have to get more insight! I rode from Columbus Ohio to Nashville Tennessee and back yesterday and today my tail end is STILL upset about it! I Just cant see paying $550 for a Corbin seat considering my last bike had a Mustang seat and that's hardly an option! How do you feel about re-padding the stock seat? For those of you who have done it, why did you choose the method you chose? How has it held up through long hauls? Is it difficult/possible to widen the rear seat a bit when doing this? How does memory foam compare to gell or other types of foam out there (I saw one post with a link to a site that explains the different densities and I'd like some practical insight from someone who's tried more than one if it's out there)? Also, from those taller riders (I am 6'5") do you feel you've gained any leg room from reshaping your seat or from adding a mustang or Corbin seat?

As always, thanks for the input!

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
1995 VN 750 (bought as 2nd owner 11/2008)
26,440 miles
MF Battery
Stator replaced (55 Days!)
V&H Cruisers
Relocate rear turn signals
Highwayman Saddlemen bags
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
Kuryakin ISO Duallys all around
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
Paint Job- should I do it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 AM

I can help a little with the pegs. Kury doesn't list anything for the 750 but I found somewhere on here that the 8830 adapters will work on the front and 8831 will work for the back. If you go with the pegs or floorboards that require "splined" adapters, the 8813 adapters will work for the front and 8826 works for the back. I have the 8830s on mine with ISO Duallys hanging on them. I originally incorrectly bought the 8813s, so I know they fit as well. I used a fender washer as a spacer to make them fit a little more snug.

The pegs come off pretty easy. There is a clip on the bottom of the post that holds the peg on. Just pull that clip off and that post slides up out and the peg is off. There is a spring in the front peg and I've heard there is a little ball on the rear pegs that you have to keep track of when you take them off.

Mom, I'm not wearing my helmet only for the purpose of taking this picture and
the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.

Last edited by wvshaneb; 10-28-2009 at 08:23 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

About the only thing I can help you with on the list, is measuring the diameter of the Wingerline bars, (or any bar or pipe). If you do not have a micrometer or vernier calipers, use an adjustable (ie. Crescent) wrench, with jaws against the pipe, then remove and measure the gap with a ruler.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Yahoo to artemis_f0wl Send a message via Skype™ to artemis_f0wl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvshaneb View Post
I can help a little with the pegs. Kury doesn't list anything for the 750 but I found somewhere on here that the 8830 adapters will work on the front and 8831 will work for the back. If you go with the pegs or floorboards that require "splined" adapters, the 8813 adapters will work for the front and 8826 works for the back. I have the 8830s on mine with ISO Duallys hanging on them. I originally incorrectly bought the 8813s, so I know they fit as well. I used a fender washer as a spacer to make them fit a little more snug.

The pegs come off pretty easy. There is a clip on the bottom of the post that holds the peg on. Just pull that clip off and that post slides up out and the peg is off. There is a spring in the front peg and I've heard there is a little ball on the rear pegs that you have to keep track of when you take them off.
Thanks, this is helpful! I think ISO Duallys will be nice and I'd really like them on the front, back, AND on the highway bars! I read the Kuryakyn web site looking for the details, but I was looking to order the Duallys but had no idea the splined adapter would be needed. So am I correct in understanding that I could order the Duallys without adapters, then order the 8830s for the front and the 8831 for the back pegs? Looking at the pix on the web site it just doesn't make sense to me and I DON'T want to go through the hassle of picking the wrong parts!

Quote:
About the only thing I can help you with on the list, is measuring the diameter of the Wingerline bars, (or any bar or pipe). If you do not have a micrometer or vernier calipers, use an adjustable (ie. Crescent) wrench, with jaws against the pipe, then remove and measure the gap with a ruler.
Also helpful! I really want to mount some highway pegs since my long ride and I'm really unsure about the whole situation! Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
26,440 miles
MF Battery
V&H Cruisers
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=artemis_f0wl;119237]Thanks, this is helpful! I think ISO Duallys will be nice and I'd really like them on the front, back, AND on the highway bars! I read the Kuryakyn web site looking for the details, but I was looking to order the Duallys but had no idea the splined adapter would be needed. So am I correct in understanding that I could order the Duallys without adapters, then order the 8830s for the front and the 8831 for the back pegs? Looking at the pix on the web site it just doesn't make sense to me and I DON'T want to go through the hassle of picking the wrong parts!QUOTE]

The 8830 and 8831 ARE what you will need for the Duallys. They are NOT splined though. That's the mistake I made. The guy I got my pegs from told me I needed the splined adapters, turned out I didn't. And yes you'll order the Duallys without adapters and then a set of 8830s for the front and a set of 8831s for the rear.

Kury part #4509 was recommended either here or on the Yahoo group a while back as a good set of highway pegs. When I get the extra $$ I think that's what's going on mine. They are a long right angle mount with the dually pegs. Check them out.

the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Great info, thanks for the help!

I like the highway peg mounts you pointed out, but I'm going to need to find a suitable clamp style mount for the 1" wingerline engine guard I have. I like the pegs jutting from the engine guard. I have my eye on #4503, but if I understand correctly, I will also need to buy the magnum quick clamps.. this whole thing is just so confusing to me. I think I'm going to just hunt down a phone number and call these people to make sure I get what I want!

Phil aka Art
"Vanessa"
26,440 miles
MF Battery
V&H Cruisers
Wingerline Highway bars
Ear Shave
Rejet carbs
R/R relocate
Coastered
HD Heritage seat
12" ape hangers

To Do:
Some sort of new grips
Mirrors
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 PM

The 4509 is the 1" magnum clamp, the long right angle mounts and the dually pegs all together. Everything you need.

The 4503 is just the long right angle mounts. You'd then have to get the clamps and also the pegs.

I'm pretty sure it's cheaper buying the whole 4509 set than 4503 plus clamps and pegs.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Utick View Post
He is down as a spammer as he included links to other sites in his first few posts. Its automatic on here. I will change him to new member and try and help him out.
Its all on here if you use the search feature. Everyone asks simialr questions.
What????? He's been a member longer that you!!! And more posts...LOL

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Utick View Post
He is down as a spammer as he included links to other sites in his first few posts. Its automatic on here. I will change him to new member and try and help him out.
Its all on here if you use the search feature. Everyone asks simialr questions.
I must be missing something here
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
I must be missing something here
Me too. I didn't see any links to products.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement