Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

Triplight Magnet

Can anybody tell me if those magnets you hook to the bottom of the frame work? They are supposed to cause triplights to recognize bikes. I found a ten dollar one and a twenty five dollar one, and want to know if they are worth the money.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I don`t think they are worth the money, but read this from the verses. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1126

Look for the cuts in the road where the wire is buried, then sealed over with tar.
Stop with your front tire right over the cut along the left side, and align the wheel with it. It gets the most mass of metal closest to the electrical field sensor.
You could try pushing your kickstand down close to the cut marks too, if the front wheel doesn`t work.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 10-16-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkonst View Post
Can anybody tell me if those magnets you hook to the bottom of the frame work? They are supposed to cause triplights to recognize bikes. I found a ten dollar one and a twenty five dollar one, and want to know if they are worth the money.

Jim
Go ahead and buy the 25 dollar one. That's your penalty for the double post....LOL

Seriously, I think they are a waste of money.(I also think adding a magnet in front of your rear wheel is asking for it to "stand up" a nail in the road for your tire to run over) ..
If you can see the "Cut" in the road where the sensor loop is, just pull your bike right over it, this seems to work 90 percent of the time. If you can not get one to trigger, call your local department of transportation and report the signal. They can send someone out to adjust it so it will trigger easier.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I don`t think they are worth the money, but read this from the verses. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1126

Look for the cuts in the road where the wire is buried, then sealed over with tar.
Stop with your front tire right over the cut along the left side, and align the wheel with it. It gets the most mass of metal closest to the electrical field sensor.
You could try pushing your kickstand down close to the cut marks too, if the front wheel doesn`t work.
I didn't think about using the kick stand. I'll give that a try. The rest I have done. The links sugest attaching metal weights to the frame. My bike is heavy enough.

Thanks, Jim
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 AM

They work but only on certain lights... I used earth magnets but certain intersections with the camera sensors are hopeless.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkonst View Post
I didn't think about using the kick stand. I'll give that a try. The rest I have done. The links sugest attaching metal weights to the frame. My bike is heavy enough.

Thanks, Jim
Just make sure you put it back up before you take off...

I don't worry bout lights. I don't know bout other states, but in MN if you have waited a 'reasonable' amount of time you can run it. I forget the name of the law. So I usually just run them after stopping. After I look for cops.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
Just make sure you put it back up before you take off...

I don't worry bout lights. I don't know bout other states, but in MN if you have waited a 'reasonable' amount of time you can run it. I forget the name of the law. So I usually just run them after stopping. After I look for cops.
The logic is that the light is defective if it won't recognize your vehicle, and a defective light is treated as a four way stop. Of course, the biker is the only one there who knows that it is defective, so I wait and run it, or if somebody is behind me, I wave them closer, to trip it. But you might still have to go to court to prove your case.
Most of the sensors I come across are set wrong. Especially the one that lets me out of my neighborhood. I don't understand why the DOT won't adjust them. The lights are capable of recognizing bikes...even small bikes.
The logical conclusion is that the DOT does not recognize them.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement