How good is this jacket and helmet? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
sach4u1

Question How good is this jacket and helmet?

I just got a 1987 750 and need help finding right gear. This is my first motorcycle and I am so excited.

Does anyone have this jacket?
FieldSheer Aston Leather Jacket - $140

Does anyone have this Helmet?
HJC IS-33 Solid Open Face Helmet with Integrated Sun Shield - $100

I couldn't find better deal for this jacket and helmet.
motorcyclecloseout.com - Is this a good website?
Thank you in advance.
Sachin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the group Sachin. I can`t offer any opinion on the two specific pieces of safety gear you have mentioned. However if you go to the link at the bottom of my sig line, I think you will find some general guidelines as to features you should look for. At a minimum, you will want hard armor for your spine, shoulders and elbows. Zippered vents are almost a neccesity too. As a rule of thumb, I would advise you to try and find a local dealer of any product you want, and try it on for size, as mc gear sizes don`t always match what your clothes size is. Then give the local vendor a chance to meet the online price.

There is a video on utube of Jay Leno with an expert helmet fitter and spokesman for Arai helmets. Even if you don`t plan to get an Arai helmet, take a few miunutes and watch the video, as it will help you in choosing the right helmet for your head size and shape.

Here is a link to a thread with members helmets. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=leno+helmets

And another to some safety tips regarding gear. http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=10

Don`t forget armored gloves, boots, and lower body protection that will stay on if you find yourself sliding down the big asphalt sander. I just saw a site this week that has hard armored underwear for the hips, knees and shins, that are not noticeable through jeans or casual pants. I will try to find it again, and leave a link here.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 10-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The Aston Jacket is pretty nice, I looked at one but bought a textile one instead...(because of added waterproofness and better/warmer liner)

At 140 bucks, that is a good deal cause I think they retail for about a $100.00 more.

As for the helmet, I would have to ask why you picked and open face over a full face model. I have seen too many crashes to be comfortable without anything other than a full face helmet.

For an open face however the HJC is not bad...washable interior, good visor system etc...

But I am also not a fan of polycarbonite helmets, as they are more suseptable to chemical solvets and do not "crush" like fiberglass ones.

That said, the jacket is real nice, but I would find a good fiberglass or composite helmet, and highly reccomend a full face model instead.

The one you picked is very popular with the scooter crowd...so you might get some ribbing on that....LOL

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot of opinions about helmets and other gear. Here's mine. If you can control whether or not your head will hit a solid object, don't bother getting a helmet if your state doesn't require it. If you can't, get a full face helmet that fits properly. 'Cause if you can't control whether or not your head will hit, you probably can't control what parts will hit either, and a FF helmet provides the best protection.

Any DOT approved helmet will do. You can get FF helmets from $12 (closeout) to $500 or more. Will the $500 helmet protect you better in a crash? Not likely, although the manufacturer would have you believe otherwise. But it may have more features (photochromatic visor, less wind noise, etc.) than the cheaper helmet. You need to decide what fits your wallet and your needs. For safety, a helmet with higher visibility, such as white or yellow, is a good choice.

Leather provides just about the best abrasion resistance, closely followed by abrasion resistant fabric and trailed by abrasion resistant fabric mesh. Leather and fabric is most comfortable in cooler weather while mesh is hard to beat for protection in warm weather. Get as much armor as you are comfortable with because it can make the difference between bruises and broken things. Anything you don't want to leave on the pavement should be protected; including hands and feet. So wear good leather boots that cover the ankle as a minimum and leather or other abrasion resistant full finger gloves. As in helmets, the more visible the gear, the better.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 10-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
sach4u1

Thank you for your reply,

I have not seen anyone with full face helmet on a cruiser (well, most of the time I have seen without helmets though). I thought the full face helmet wont go with the cruiser. But I think I am wrong here.

I am trying to buy a helmet around $100. Suggestions are welcome.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

"I have not seen anyone with full face helmet on a cruiser (well, most of the time I have seen without helmets though). I thought the full face helmet wont go with the cruiser. But I think I am wrong here."

I support everyone's choice as to what gear they choose to wear or not wear. Now to my opinion as to why you haven't seen many cruiser riders with FF helmets: There are a lot of idiots out there who seem to think they are invincible. They are the same folks who can't be bothered to wear seat belts; it's too restrictive. Besides, it's not gonna happen to them.

Do you want to be stylish, look like the rest of the crowd, and fit it? Then don't wear protective gear and tell yourself you're invincible! This guy no doubt never thought it would happen to him. http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentge...57601198404570 Count the number of fractures to his skull and note the tubes running down his throat.

IMHO, and with apologies in advance to those who read this and choose not to wear the gear, that's just plain stupid! You can go to the motorcycle safety section of this forum and read about seasoned riders who have been in accidents. Most were wearing gear when it happened and they were able to share their experience (and the fact they survived). Some were wearing less than full faced helmets, suffered facial injuries, and resolved to wear FF in the future. Some have been in accidents and weren't wearing all the gear and still survived, although with some injuries that might have been avoided with the right gear. It's your choice. Just remember, you are a new rider, the group most likely to be involved in an accident (google the Hurt Report).

In addition, you have chosen a very powerful bike to learn on, another contributor to accidents. I strongly urge you to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic rider's course. It can teach you things that will make you a better rider, and help you survive out there.

Heare are some inexpensive FF helmets that will do a fine job of keeping your brains inside your skull. Good luck. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparm...&_sop=15&_sc=1

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 10-04-2009 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sach4u1 View Post
Thank you for your reply,

I am trying to buy a helmet around $100. Suggestions are welcome.
Your best move is to go to a bike dealer near you that carries helmets (Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki...it don't matter..) and have them help you find one that fits in your price range. Avoid buying online. This piece of safety gear really needs to fit right and it is just a good idea to try on the helmet before buying.

I bought a very nice Fulmer for $119.00 and a KBC for "$105 from a local dealer...the good part being they were helpfull making sure the helmet fit right...which is extremely important. If they don't seem to be that helpfull or knowledgable, find another dealer.

There are some very good helmets in the 100 dollar range, and of course some nicer ones for more...it is up to you to put the value on what you can afford and what you think your head is worth.

Even if you think you look out of place with a full face riding a cruiser, keep in mind your chances of survival are more important than image.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
sach4u1

Thanks Guys,

I will go into the store on Tuesday (the store here are closed on Monday). Then I will make the decision.

But right now I have made the decision to buy a FF helmet. Will post with what I bought.

Sachin

Last edited by sach4u1; 10-04-2009 at 11:06 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Adventuregeek

I ride a cruiser in a full-face helmet and screaming yellow hi-viz jacket. I'm more interested in staying alive than in impressing Harley riders. Make your own ride, mate, don't worry about what others might think of you.

Fieldsheer makes awesome gear! HBC helmets aren't bad. Check out Bikebandit.com and see if they have any good closeouts. I just scored a Fieldsheer jacket and Sparxz helmet (good reviews on WebBikeWorld) for $50 each from them. I needed passenger gear for when my Mom rides behind me. :-)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach4u1 View Post
Thanks Guys,

I will go into the store on Tuesday (the store here are closed on Monday). Then I will make the decision.

But right now I have made the decision to buy a FF helmet. Will post with what I bought.

Sachin
The FF helmet is a good decision sachin. Just remember when you are trying them on that different makes of helmets can fit different head shapes better or worse. When you find one you like, leave it on for half an hour or so and wander around the store. This will give you a better idea if it has uncomfortable pressure points, than just a quick on and off trial fit. You might want to get a couple of bandanas or dew rags to wear on your head as liners inside the helmet. It helps keep the helmet cleaner and drier.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement