Quiet helmet - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quiet helmet

With winter coming in quickly, I was looking for some info on quiet helmets. I ride all winter here in NM and love the cool crispness of the morning ride. I wish to buy a new full face very soon as the temp beginning to drop and the wind is increasing. The one I bought last year was very noisey. I hear alot about comfort and weight, but I'd like to enjoy some quiet for a change. Maybe even listen to my Ipod. Any input would be appreciated. Money is a factor too. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Old Fart

Garage
There are some good deals on the Shoei RF1000 going around....by far the quietest and lightest helmet I ever owned.
see dis thread:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12752

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I think you need to set a price and a type to help with the recommendations. I have a long narrow skull and tried every helment on within a 50 mile radius of Portland, OR (literally). You name it, I've tried it and nothing I tried was as comfortable as the Arai Profile, which is designed for a long narrow skull.

Arai has a great reputation, good warranty (they replace broken parts, no questions asked), the Profile is pretty quiet (stock VN750 exhaust and no ear plugs needed), very comfortable and very, very light. However, Arai Profiles retail for $500+, but you can get them for under $300 by buying last years graphic (I paid $279 delivered). However, I've heard people cringe when I tell they I spent almost $300 for a helmet, even for an Arai.

So, if you have a long narrow skull, the Arai Profile is a pretty good investment, just buy last years model.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 AM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

If you want to listen to your IPOD, try the Vega full-face V-Tunes helmet. I have one and it's great. Built-in Bluetooth let's you do helmet-to-helmet (with another V-Tunes) without buying anything extra, Bluetooth pairing to your telephone, GPS, and to your IPOD. I have a Sony Walkman MP3 player with a bluethooth adapter and listen to my music all the time. Very good sound with no earplugs to mess with.

It also has built-in drop down Sunshield. It's much quieter than my old helmet. Paid $229 for it.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Lurker

Some $0.50 foam earplugs from a hardware store will make your current helmet much quieter and more comfortable. Worked wonders for me. Ever since I started wearing them I refuse to ride without them. Try that first before throwing your money into a new helmet.

The other thing IMO that has a great effect on helmet noise is wind turbulence. For my body shape and height I've noticed that cruisers are much louder for me (wind wise) than sport bikes and I attribute that to the way the wind is deflected around our instruments and handlebars, our bikes are not as aerodynamic as sport bikes. The true proof for me was standing up on the VN750 pegs while riding. When I was up higher there was nothing disturbing the wind before it hit my full face helmet (just like the air in the wind tunnels when the helmet manufacturers build and test them) and it was much quieter. However standing up while riding is not a long term solution.

Try the earplugs first. -Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Earplugs work great and you'll be far less fatigued toward the end of the day if you're wearing plugs. If you're bent on listening to music while you ride, you might have to spend some serious money to get the comfort and quality you want. Either paying for a really good quality helmet that is quiet and light, like mentioned above (I firmly believe helmet quality is directly reflected in price-you get what you pay for), and using your existing ipod ear buds, or by spending the money on a high quality ear phone set up that is custom formed for your ear canals. These provide great comfort, and great sound sealing/quality for music etc. Either way, you're going to spend some ducky.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM

I've had very good results with $20 skull candy earbuds. They block off noise when your music isn't playing - not at the rate plugs do, but with a helmet on, the bike noise isn't bad at all. For all day rides I'll still be going with foam ear plugs.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:44 PM

DUCT TAPE ;-)

Dam I'm cheap

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Bandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhusn View Post
If you want to listen to your IPOD, try the Vega full-face V-Tunes helmet. I have one and it's great.
I cant find many reviews on this helmet, is it quiet at highway speeds with no music going?

Another review said the helmet to helmet connect was junk and that his HD was to loud to hear any music.

I like it, just not sold on it yet.

1993 Vulcan 750 - SOLD
---------------------------
1996 Suzuki Bandit 600 - Current ride
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
I cant find many reviews on this helmet, is it quiet at highway speeds with no music going?

Another review said the helmet to helmet connect was junk and that his HD was to loud to hear any music.

I like it, just not sold on it yet.
We both ride Harleys and listen to our music. For the helmet to helmet we've had good days and we've had bad days. Got to remember that Bluetooth is only good for about 35 feet so if you are further than that away, call on the phone. When I've needed the helmet-to-helmet it worked for us. We have Fat Boys with stock exhaust, any bike with aftermarket exhaust will be loud and not because they are Harleys. Harley stock exhaust is 80 db. I have Screaming Eagle slip-ons on mine and still only at 80db. The Jardine Rumblers I have on the Vulcan were tested during inspection at 96db.

On the ear phones and plugs, just keep in mind that in most states it illegal to use earphones in both ears while driving that includes motorcycles. While they can't see them with the helmet on, get pulled over and take your helmet off and it could be costly. States are cracking down on motorcycles stopping them for handlebar height, noise, modulating headlights (they are not legal everywhere), etc. With my V-tunes helmet I have speakers not earphones and I hear the music just fine on the Interstate.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement