Saddlebags - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Saddlebags

One item I do not have on my VN750 is a set of saddlebags. I was browsing J&P Cycle's Metric Cruiser catalog and did not see any bags specifically for the 750, they were for the 900 or the 1500.

Also, I don't really know much about the different kinds of saddlebags. I don't have any mounting bracket nor do I have a high back rest, just the standard seat.

Any recommendations?

1993 VN 750
8237 miles
Purchased September 26, 2009 w/7735 miles

Anticipated mod:
Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is a link to another thread for Mutazu hardbags and sloppyburpfest`s installation. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...azu+saddlebags

Here is the list I got when I did a search on the words "leather+bags" : https://www.vn750.com/forum/search.php?searchid=307802

That will give you a good start on figuring out what features are most important to you, for saddlebags on your bike. You can buy bag supports for a modest $30 from Mutazu, all the way to chrome beauties from Ma Kawi, with signal light relocation brackets for ~ $120 to $150, I believe. One member made a set out of 1/2" copper pipe and elbows, which he soldered together and wrapped with black electrical tape. They almost disappeared behind the black leather bags when they were installed. What you choose depends on what you want, your fabrication skills and tools, and the depth of your wallet!! lol (=:

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Set your $$$ price then go looking. Bags are spendy items, I used WalMart coolers.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Adventuregeek

A quick and easy option would be a set of throw-overs. You remove the seat, lay the center connector across the cycle, then the seat holds it in place. The center is usually adjustable so they fit almost any cycle. These get the job done pretty cheap. However, they will sag against the cycle since they have no supports. Not real weather- thief- or critter-proof either.

You might pick up some cheap or used bags to start with, then swap 'em out later. I've been using some small throw-over leather bags for a year, and boy have they been handy! I'm installing the Mutazu GA cases now that I have a better idea of what I want to do with cycle storage.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants

Last edited by Tiki Mon; 09-29-2009 at 12:58 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

The copper pipe supports were Fergy's creation.
Although a cheap alternative, they did not hold up too well when a buddy of his leaned on them
Most any bags will work, as you'll have a really tough time finding any made specifically for the 750 Vulcan.
Just check the measurements and compare to how they'd fit the bike.

I ran my Willy & Max large slant bags with no supports for a couple years. Didn't work out too bad, as the shocks hold the bags away from the wheel enough not to be a problem.
I only went to supports (that I made outta 5/16 SS rod and SS angle) when I tried some nylon bags.
Not hard at all to do if you or a friend has the stuff needed (mostly a welder, drill & saw)
I bent the rod by hand with a bench vise, cut & drilled the angle, welded then had powder coated. Turned out pretty good, IMO....

Pre Painted....

Painted and attached....

With Nylon bags attached....

The way I mounted them, I did lose the use of the helmet locks though.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Lurker

The factory Kawsaki F&S supoprts made for the VN750 will move the helmet locks rearward next to the tail light so you can still use. They make create some very handy places to strap bungee cords to to secure things to your rear seat with. They will move the rear turn signals back a few inches which will free up some room for larger saddlebags. They'll keep your saddle bags from rubbing against your rear tire. And they're shiny too.

-Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328

Last edited by Sloppyburpfest; 09-29-2009 at 02:35 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM

The throw-over bags that were on the bike when I got it would rub on the rear tire. They also made the range of helmets that would work with the helmet hooks very limited (And even with the helmets that would work, it was a fiddly process to install and remove them) and they were very close to interfering with the turn signals. I suspect without supports you'll have at least one and probably all three of these problems with any bags.

So, in order to address all those issues, I got the Kawasaki supports. As has been said, the relocation for the helmet hooks and turn signals is a big plus. However, my experience has been that it may still take some improvisation to use the helmet hooks. My helmet has a very short strap on it, so it hangs down in contact with the license plate on the relocated helmet hooks. I solved the problem by carrying a dog's choke chain in my saddlebag that I can run through the D rings and the helmet hook. That lowers the helmet enough to contact only the tire and saddlebag.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Redneck on a rice burner

Location: American by birth,Southern by the grace of God ..,.AMEN !

Any Harley softtail leather throw over bags will work. I bought mine from 6th gear,I got the saddel bags{Large},Roll bag{I use as a back support which I put my raingear & bike cover in}and front toolbag all for $75.This is the 2nd yr I've had them and I ride year round,Rain,mud,snow,heat & cold.I think there WELL WORTH the $.Check out my gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement