Most function AND still sexy? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Grimm
Most function AND still sexy?

What are your recommendations for Hard Saddlebags (leather, fiberglass, stone, whatever)? I want affordable, sexy, durable, and FUNCTIONAL. I was hoping for something larger than my chemistry book sized 11"x8"x5" soft leather bags. Lemme know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 AM

One thing to consider might be that heavier, stiffer leather would still have some give to it, so a piece of cargo that is a just-slightly-wrong size or shape would still have a chance of fitting. The base dimensions of my saddlebags aren't quite enough, but they do bulge out so that a gallon jug of milk will fit in each one.

Conversely, a truly hard bag such as ABS or fiberglass should be available with locks (Which would be really nice to have) and is usually secured with a convenient single latch (Some might even be usable with gloved hands) instead of an array of fiddly clips, clasps, hasps, buckles, and/or chewing gum.

ETA: I suppose I can use the clips on mine with gloved hands, but the belt-buckle-style fastening style on my brother's Virago 1100 would be rather tough to refasten, and you can forget about the small-strapped belt-buckle-style fastening system on my fork bag. That's tough to deal with WITHOUT gloves.

Last edited by IMBoring25; 09-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

I not sure "affordable, sexy, durable, and FUNCTIONAL" hard bags actually exist. If you want affordable you'll probably sacrifice some of the other attributes and if you want the rest you're probably going to end up spending a few bucks. The problem is that hard bags are more expensive than other bags and the larger you go the more cash you need. The fact that you're looking for hard bags and big bags already has you at pretty pricy. These are really popular but by no means affordable:

http://leatherlyke.com/

I have a pair on my bike now that are soft leather bags. They're definitely durable, big enough to fit a chem book, and reasonably affordable but not exactly sexy. They have 2 buckles on each bag and that's it as far as security. They do me just fine though. Maybe look for "soft leather" bags and see what pops up...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have these jumbo Cruis'n Slant bags from Saddlemen on my bike. They are plenty large, have a rigid interior with some web pockets inside, hat box top with velcro closures, and as throw overs, you can release just the bags with some special connections inside the bag if you wanted to take em inside with you. The run in the $125-150 range depending on where you find them. Over all I like them. They're not leather, but durable fake leather.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 AM

I have the same bags, but mine also have dual belt/buckle straps to help hold them down. I got mine about 5 years ago, so they may have changed design a little. I used to have some pictures up here on the site with them on, but now I can't find them. In anycase, they are great bags and I recommend them. They have held up great to all kinds of weather and general use and abuse and still look practically new.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotvrwc View Post
I have the same bags, but mine also have dual belt/buckle straps to help hold them down. I got mine about 5 years ago, so they may have changed design a little. I used to have some pictures up here on the site with them on, but now I can't find them. In anycase, they are great bags and I recommend them. They have held up great to all kinds of weather and general use and abuse and still look practically new.
That would be the one thing I would add to mine. Sometimes they are not quite closed right and the cross wind will make a lid start flapping. I have to pay attention when closing them to make sure I get a good overlap of the velcro and a tight closing.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Sloppyburpfest put Matazu GA black hard bags on his 750 and I think they look pretty good. I'm gonna get a set myself. They're about $115+$20 shipping. Here's the link to the thread he posted on them. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9851

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit

Last edited by VN750_DawgsFan; 09-02-2009 at 07:15 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Well , if you want sexy, you have to go with the Italians I always say...Givi bags.

Here is a photo of them on Picks bike:
http://tinyurl.com/6dgt7f

A few others have mounted them. The key feature is that the bags can be removed quickly...nice when you hit the motel.

If you do a search on Givi you should find more info.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well , if you want sexy, you have to go with the Italians I always say...Givi bags.

Here is a photo of them on Picks bike:
http://tinyurl.com/6dgt7f

A few others have mounted them. The key feature is that the bags can be removed quickly...nice when you hit the motel.

If you do a search on Givi you should find more info.

KM
I agree with Knifemaker..........

Jim "Pick" Foster
Dixon, IL
VROC #9492
2018 Suzuki Burgman 650
2010 Honda NT700V
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfost/sets/
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x294/jimfost/
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Grimm
BTW- thanks guys! After all the research and work I have put into saddlebags I think I can't pass up Bullwinkle's F & S set! There is a crack in one. I wonder what is the best way to fix it? It has been expoxied or something underneath. I will have to see it in person to really decide what to do. I was already thinking some good JB Weld epoxy in it and smoothed out before a quick SEVERAL coats of black paint with SEVERAL coats of clear (if necessary) would do the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement