Best Handlebars for manuervability ... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Dirtbiker

Best Handlebars for manuervability ...

When I bought my bike one of the most annoying things about other bikes to me were the handlebars. Specifically, I found that the "boulevard type" cruiser handlebars on 99.9% of metric cruisers to be cumbersome and intimidating. Granted I had really only had dirtbike and 80's yamaha (850 special) experience before buying my Vulcan so I'm admittedly a little biased but I can't help but wonder:

Are the super-wide "boulevard style" cruiser handlebars harder to use than a more "standard" type like the ones on our 750's?

I'm over 6' tall but I wonder if this is the case especially with shorter riders or riders with limited shoulder strength? To me it just feels weird to press down on bars that feel like they are 5' apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Our stock bars suck. I put on some 10" pull backs that are way more comfortable on 200-300 mile rides (a normal day ride with my bro).

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
in general, the longer the bars the less "feel" you have and the less control. Ape hangers may look cool, but the distance the ends are from where they connect to the bike just increases the vagueness one feels and the flex in the bar itself is usualy the issue.

Racers use short bars, many of which connect directly to the forks as opposed to a rubber dampened block on the steering stem.

Of course the wider the bar is the better the leverage advantage, but I think many bars are just too wide.

Ideally the best way to figure out what you want is to sit on the bike while it is on the centerstand, close your eye, and after a minute or so raise your arms up and position them where you think they feel best. Open you eyes and see where that is...have a friend measure it and contact someplace like Flanders and see if they have a bar that comes close to that position.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM

If you're doing 120 in a sweeper or 90 in the S curves, you don't steer much. Clamp ons or clubman bars keep the torso and helmet down low and out of the wind making the bike and extension of your body (I really miss that feeling; it's like being one with the bike).

Put on what you like for style and comfort and enjoy the ride.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM

i like the stock handle bars for the vn750, i feel very connected with the bike. I have never liked the beach bars type of handles. if anything, if i wanted to get better handles, i would use a straight racing bar.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I found the stock bars too high and put me in a laid back position which on the highway causes extreme stress on the lower back,I know that a lot of people on here look for forward controls for our bikes while personally would rather the pegs be farther back and lower like the old standard type bikes or even rearsets like on the old cafe style bikes,i have a lower narrower set of bars on the bike now and I like where they are and I like the way the 750 handles and the narrow width of the bike,I think that if the pegs were set farther back and the rider in a more leaned forward position not flat on your face mind you but enough to cancel out the feeling that the wind is trying to cause you to lay back,that the pressure would be less on the shoulders and tail bone and make, the distance between fill ups a lot more pleasureable,Ther are some on here who have ridden the old standard style bikes with lower bars, neutral sitting footpegs and long flat seats that were the norm on these older bikes Like the old Bonnevilles ,the early jap bikes Like the H1 and h2 and the early KZ series Kaw's ,Honda's early Cb Series350,550,750 fours. Suzuki and Yamaha also made similar models,Until the Advent of the cruiser,which when it was designed to appeal to people who wanted to cruise town on Saturday night,maybe a short trip to work ,but were not designed to make the long trips across country ,They were made for profiling around town and doing a little hot rodding.they became wildly popular because they had the riding position of a Harley and the stepped seats became common at this time too,and the American public ate it up because it was a lot cheaper,Again it was let's sell them what they want,after people bought cruisers they found out that they actually liked riding more than they thought and wanted to turn them into long distance machines and used the band aid on a broken arm approach and installed high way pegs so they could stretch their legs out and drivers backrest to relieve the strain on their backs and high dollar seats to try to ease their aching butt's,By the way before the drivers backrest they/we tied the sleeping bag on the front of the sissy bar to lay back on, and in the wake of people wanting to sit up and not be pushed backwards at highway speeds on lon trips they all came up with a big Tourer that insulated you from the world around you and made you feel more like you were in a car than on a bike.Don't get me wrong i like all types of bikes,but now I am seeing an ever so slight shift back to the neutral riding position bikes from some of the manufacturers ,The FJR ,ST1300,Concours are sport tourers that are world class bikes and don't carry a BMW price tag and the relatively "new" market of so called naked bikes,we used to call them standards,The Ducati Monster and the Hypermotard,Honda Offers up the 599 and 919 and Kawasaki has the 650 ninja which is a nice bike for it's comfortable position and sport bike looks and close to full on performance without the radical ,full blown down in the bars riding positions of the 160 to 170 HP Race ready sport bikes.there are a lot of choices out there so keep you mind and your eyes open and ride a few different style bikes if you can for an hour or so not a spin around the block and you might find out what the motorcycle world has been missing since the early part of the eighties. I personally would like to find a Cbr 1000 an change out the top trees to a set of RSD with triple camps and dirt track bars lowered an inch on both ends and a nice set of custom hard bags.Do I need it?What 50 year old man needs a motorcycle capable of running close to two hundred MPH? ,Do I want it ? You betcha!

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 08-03-2009 at 02:34 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Denny,a tip for you ... a word for you.

Paragraphs.

Makes reading long posts alot eaiser.

Thnx,

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
And after I bragged on your bike too,but that was a bit long winded. LOL

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Whew, I'm out of breath just reading that!

I have 36" wide bars on the 1500. Stock bars were 33". They felt REALLY wide for a little while, but I like them now. I feel like they give a little more leverage when pressing into the turns. Now when I get on the 750 my hands feel really close together. Again though, after a few minutes you get used to them.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Dirtbiker

Yeah I guess it's similar to the "Beach Cruiser" handlebars on bicycles of the same variety. Personally I'd be able to go for a little wider I think but not as much as some bikes I've seen. Something about having my hands out too far wide makes them feel like they are floating and I don't like the lean response with that degree of lateral displacement. I guess it also depends on the fork angle of the bike too and other aspects of the geometry. Motorcycles (like bicycles) have to make tradeoffs for different purposes: cornering ability, straight path ability, rider comfort, etc. One of the reasons the VN750 appealed to me (and still does) though is that it is somewhat of a nice "middle ground" it's a "cruiser" but has handlebars that are closer to most sport touring bikes rather than modern day cruisers and the riding position is more upright and less laid back than most cruisers. I found that for me personally the VN750 had a close approximation to the basic riding position I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement