Question for you Mustang Fans - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

Question for you Mustang Fans

Since so many here are so bananas about the Mustang seat I have a question... has anyone ever tried getting a Mustang for another bike and taking it apart, mounting the foam on a stock pan? Might have to recover or you might be able to modify the cover that came w/ the other seat.

Seems to me they are mostly about the same shape and size and I've seen Mustangs for other bikes go cheaper than the VN750 ones. I would think the innards would be pretty close. I wonder if a fellow couldn't just cannibalize a stock seat pan and modify a Mustang for another bike to fit.

Thoughts? Cautions? Success stories?

Current VN: 03 VN1600A

Past VNs: 92 VN750A, 98 VN1500A

Future VN: 94/97 VN1500A basketcase/bobber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm looking at a CL bike outside of Baltimore that has an HD Mustang saddle on it. Reportedly required a little drilling onthe backside (for the mounting), but it looks just like the one for the 750 (only this one has no studs). If I end up getting it as a project bike for this coming winter, I'll shoot pics and you can assess it's "closeness" to the appropriate saddle.

C
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I think the only thing that makes the Mustang seat desirable now it the fact that it is no longer made...much like the Vulcan 750 itself. Many have found alternatives that are in fact cheaper and from what I understand, Saddleman and Corbin still make seats for the bike. And there are those that do not even like the Mustang seat, and those who are a bit "height challenged" that find the seat too tall.

The 750 has that weird "hump" thing and the rear "backrest" that might make adopting a Mustang seat meant for another bike a bit more of a chore.

Buying one this way online without having acurate measurements would make it a bit of a crap shoot. You would have to yank the stock seat apart, and if you are brave enough to do this you could likely just go ahead and add your own foam, cover and not have bother with the expence of a different seat to start.

But, what you suggest likely can be done. For that matter , some folks have retro fitted seats meant for other bikes without needing to alter the seat itself at all , just having to fab a way to solidly mount it the bike.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement