Plexifairing 3 Windshield Questions... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Recovering Dirtbiker

Just wanted to give an update on my continuing PF3 saga...

Finally got my PF3 delivered the other day and started going thru the parts only to find that one of the parts bags contained the wrong size "pivot mount" for the fairing. Apparently National Cycle made a boo boo at the packaging plant and put the wrong size part in there (I believe that all the other mouting h/w was for 7/8" bars and this one was obviously for 1" bars). Luckily JCWhitney was really helpful and they sent a rush order to NC for the correct part but for now I'm still getting too much wind in my face at highway speeds.

In other news, I topped off my non-MF battery today and I've decided that I'm going MF as soon as I get some spare cash ...Luckily, the PO didn't have any battery mishaps as the battery box was clean as a whistle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:19 AM

I have the Memphis Shades 19 inch. I am 5'11".

I love the looks of the Memphis Shades and wind is still able to get around enough to keep me moderately cool even in the dead of summer. Unfortunately, there is very little adjustment in the mount. It really kills the aerodynamics of my bike.

My biggest complaint is the horrible wind buffeting I get over the top of the shield. I wish I had gotten the next size larger (if there is one). I think I sit just a few inches too high and catch the wind over the windshield. I am VERY unhappy about that.

My Spitfire shield used to shoot the air right into my visor and under my helmet. (Very noisy and lotsa bugs). The Memphis makes the rides more quiet and it looks great. but it is too short and too upright. Nothing I can do about it now though.

(oh, and the Memphis requires a front turn signal relocation)

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips
Mutazu LN Hard bags with wired LED Brake Lights
Kawasaki Rear Luggage Rack
Memphis Shades 21' Gradient Black Windshield

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffInMD View Post
Does the PF3 cause extreme heat problems in the Summer? I'm a little worried that when I put on the windshield that I'll end up with the opposite problem (i.e. no wind in my face at all).
I have a PF3. I admit that it isn't the best-looking shield out there. But I've been very happy with its performance in hot/cold and wet/dry.

I'm under 5'9" so I had 1.5" shaved off the top.

EZC

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 PM

Has anyone tried this windshield.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Flyscreen.shtml
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Not much of a "windshield" really. I think the instrument cluster affords the same amount of protection to the rider. Might work better on some other bikes, but the kinda useless on the Vulcan.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I love my pf3. Bought it early this spring and rode on some 35 degree mornings 20 miles to work with jeans and a light leather jacket with no problem. I'm 6 ft. 6 in. Tall and can look over or through very easily. Lots of bug and road trash around here, its alredy saved me several potential nasty impacts (like a swarm of bees? @70 mph). At 90 degrees i still had enough air to stay cool. I also notice that i feel a little more relaxed while riding. Good luck, dave

2001 6K MI. BOUGHT WRECKED, SO FAR NEW STOCK BARS, 2 NEW SIGNALS, 1 NEW EAR, BIG CRANK AGM, NEW METTZLER 880'S 110/90 FRONT,150/90 REAR, BULLDOGS R&R, SPLINES LUBED, ROTELLA 15/40 SYN. VANCE & HINES CRUZERS POLISHED ALUMINUM COASTER COVERS, NEW COMPETITION YELLOW PAINT
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Not much of a "windshield" really. I think the instrument cluster affords the same amount of protection to the rider. Might work better on some other bikes, but the kinda useless on the Vulcan.

KM
The flyshield will help direct the bugs directly in your face VS. the cluster. LOL

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Dirtbiker

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I went ahead and got the PF3. Still waiting on National Cycle to send me the replacement hardware for the pivot mount that was the wrong size (always check to make sure your hardware is correct BEFORE starting to install!). Still commuting with the wind in my face which is okay until about 65mph where it starts to get tiresome...I have a feeling that the installation of this windshield is going to totally change my experience on the bike at highway speeds. Hopefully I can adjust it to see over the top easily but if not, it seems that people have had great success "trimming" their windshield down to fit.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Recovering Dirtbiker

UPDATE::

Got the replacement pivot mounts for my PF3 tonight. Install took about 1 - 1.5h. Went for a short test ride and so far I'm loving it, the height is just about perfect for me - not too low and seeing over the shield is no problem. Taking some tools with me tomorrow since the fasteners may need some tweaking after settling into their final positions but overall I'm very pleased with the shield.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
I just installed the Plexi 3. I'm 5'8" so I have to look through the windscreen instead of over it. You mentioned that some people cut them. Is that a do-it-yourself project or should it go to an expert - like a body shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement