Looking for 'comfortable' helmets - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Looking for 'comfortable' helmets

Hello all,
I am looking for some helmets for highway trips for my gf and I. Just wondering if anyone has found any helmets that have low wind resistance,lightweight, and comfortable. She has a neck injury and needs a full face/modular helmet to protect her and one that is lightweight to reduce neck pain. I usually wear a half helmet, but I am thinking of going back to a full face for highway riding. I hate getting my head whipped all over with a full face but it is 'safer'.
thanks!
JT

PS- Price is a limiting factor as far as how soon we will be getting them, but I can understand paying $250-$350 a helmet if they meet all out desires.

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I was getting uncomfortable with my older helmets and just bought an HJC CL-16 (Bike Bandit had 'em on sale). It's nice - full-face, lightweight, snug fit, and there's a built-in - well, sunglasses, I guess - so that you don't have to put your sunglasses on, take 'em off, etc. I've been happy with the HJCs I've had thus far. Nothing fancy in terms of graphics or anything like that, but safe helmets for a reasonable price.

C
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I use Nolans, Great helmet and good padding.
http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n102ncom.htm

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vulcan750 View Post
Hello all,
I am looking for some helmets for highway trips for my gf and I. Just wondering if anyone has found any helmets that have low wind resistance,lightweight, and comfortable. She has a neck injury and needs a full face/modular helmet to protect her and one that is lightweight to reduce neck pain. I usually wear a half helmet, but I am thinking of going back to a full face for highway riding. I hate getting my head whipped all over with a full face but it is 'safer'.
thanks!
JT

PS- Price is a limiting factor as far as how soon we will be getting them, but I can understand paying $250-$350 a helmet if they meet all out desires.
Be aware that some modulars are considered 1/2 helmet as for as protection goes. That said a full-time full helment is the best highway protection (correction, best protection). The hard part is finding a helmet that fits correctly. For example, I tried on every helmet within a 20 mile radius of Portland, OR and the only one that came close to a good fit is an Arai Profile, designed for a long narrow head like mine. Price was $500+ at most of the local shops, waaaay more than I wanted to spend. However, Arai puts out lots of new helment graphics each year. That means lots of 'outdated' models. I ended up with a brand new Arai Profile Spiral from MotoSport (also located in Portland) for $270 with express 2-day FexEx shipping (didn't even have my VN750 yet). Apparently the Spiral graphic is not popular anymore, but I love it (especially the price)!

My advice is to find a good quality full face helmet that fits correctly and (Arai, Shoe, etc.), then find it at a good price.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Jack of all trades

Here is a link to the helmets that both my wife and I use. We love them so much and think they are a relatively good deal(that being said, I know you can get better helmets for more money)for the price range.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM

I wear the HJC FS-10 -- You can pick it up for around $160-$200. It is relatively speaking lightweight compared to other FF helmets. Certainly not the very lightest, but not heavy either. On the other hand, it is not a $600 helmet either. The advantage I like most is the drop down sunscreen visor inside the helmet. Takes away the need to wear sunglasses inside the helmet. Then if I need to remove the shielding (i.e. going through a tunnel or a quick storm pops up, or night fall) I don't have to stop and take off glasses... I just flip the switch and the visor snaps back up into the helmet.

If you really want ultra-light weight, the HJC AC-12 Carbon Fiber is (to my understanding) the lightest helmet on the market.

Jeff

2005 VN750 Silver/Black
Kurykyn ISO grips
Mutazu LN Hard bags with wired LED Brake Lights
Kawasaki Rear Luggage Rack
Memphis Shades 21' Gradient Black Windshield

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Drive less, ride more...

For the record: if you can somehow postpone your purchase until later this year (October and beyond), Snell will be releasing helmets then with its updated "M2010" safety standard.

Granted, if you and your GF need helmets now, then you need them...now.

But I wanted to at least mention this Snell design update--for some people, at least, this update could make a real difference in a life-threatening situation.

For more details and info, just Google the above Snell info.

Also: for maximum comfort and best fit, go with your GF to a really good helmet shop, and try on different helmets. Wear each helmet around in the store for at least a half hour. Research the helmets you'll try on ahead of time on the internet, based on weight and any other features that are important to you.

Trust me--you'll be glad you did.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I love my Scorpions. And the EXO-700 is very light weight, even comared to my EXO-400.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
My criteria was safety first, followed by ventilation as it is hot here in Florida. I choose a Shoei RF-1000 and have never regretted it. The painted one I got normally listed for $ 475. I walked into Cycle Gear on Memorial Day last year and got mine for $ 200. They had it on closeout for $ 250 as I guess the paint scheme wasn't selling and they had a 20% off anything sale on top of that. You need to go to a store and try on all the various brands and models to see what is most comfy for the two of you. Everyone's head is different, almost every brands large is different that the next.

Find a couple you like, get the sizes, and then watch all the various web sites for closeouts/clearances, you can get some amazing deals that way, just have to be patient. Sometimes then drop and model in favor of a new one and clearance all the old stock to move it.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement