Fieldsheer Iceberg evaporative cooling vest review. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Fieldsheer Iceberg evaporative cooling vest review.

As any of you who know me already know, I've been whining about the Texas heat since the beginning of June. I decided to give a couple of cooling vests a good test and see how they do in the 100+ degree heat we've been suffering through. This review is for the Fieldsheer Iceberg cooling vest, I got from PowerSports4Less.com Here is a link to the vest and information: http://www.powersports4less.com/deta..._ID=WP471-9701
As I wear XL shirts and jackets, that's the size I ordered, and when it arrived, I tried it on and it fits me perfectly, not tight, but just like it was tailor made. The instructions say to soak it in water for about 15 minutes and then let it dry the first time before you try to use it, so I did and let it dry overnight. Today I put it in a zip lock baggie and soaked it for probably 20 minutes. When I got ready to take off on the ride, I opened the bag and took out the now heavy vest and gently rung it out until it was no longer dripping. I wiped down the vest with a hand towel to get some of the drips off before putting it on. When I put it on, I could feel the moisture immediately and I was beginning to think it was going to feel icky, but when I got on the bike and started riding, I could immediately feel the cooling when the breeze started hitting me through my mesh riding jacket. Granted, when you are sitting at a stop light, there doesn't seem to be much if any cooling effect, but when you are moving, it sure does work. It was right at 100 degrees when I was about an hour into the ride and it was still working. The one thing I found that felt weird, was the hot blast of air hitting my face while my chest and shoulders were cool. It is something you have to get used to, I guess. I stopped several times to drink some water, and when I took off the jacket and vest, my shirt was damp and the breeze really felt great! I was thinking, this is another advantage of the vest, being cool when I stop and take it off. If you don't dig the wet t-shirt thing, maybe you won't like this vest, but understand, your shirt isn't soaked, just damp, and when I stopped for gas, my shirt was dry before I put the gear back on and headed on down the road, so I don't want to give the wrong impression.
The vest cooling effect lasts for quite a while, and was still cooling after three hours when I had reached my destination. If I were going on, I probably would want to refresh the vest with water before going farther, but I did take a zip lock baggie and an extra bottle I had filled with tap water just in case I needed it, so if I had gone farther, I was prepared, and its easy to do. I just fold up the vest and stick it in the zip lock bag, then add the 16 oz of water and zip it closed and let it sit. It soaks up nearly the entire 16 oz in no time and you are ready to go after you ring it out a little.
This vest works, and even though you have to refresh it once in a while when riding in the blast furnace we call Texas Summertime, I highly recommend it, especially for the 29 dollar price tag! This is one inexpensive way to keep cool, and keep riding!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 PM

Wow, very cool. Fortunately it doesn't get quite that hot up here too often.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the review, Fergy. It's even miserable up here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area right now. I'll definitely give this some consideration....

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

This is one of the cooling methods that David Hough recommends in his book "Proficient Motorcycling". fergy, he also recommends covering your neck to block air flow in temps above the normal body temp of 99*F, as the big blood vessels located there will carry heat to both your head and body core.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Interesting! Ol Hoss, I have another one that I'm going to be testing that has a collar with the same evaporative function. I'm hoping to test it soon, but I need to get a good ride in to give it a decent test so it needs to be the weekend. I'll let y'all know how it does.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

so cool! keep them coming fergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement