Do you have the Jardine Forward Controls? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

Do you have the Jardine Forward Controls?

Help us out!

If you've been following this thread, you know we have hatched a plan to recreate those controls for the multitude of us who would like to have them, but don't have $600 to spend. You can read about that here-

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11162

The next thing we could use in our quest would be really good photos of the controls. Could someone who has them on their bike take some for us? Please get lots of angles of both sides and how they mount.

It would also be great to see them unmounted. Anyone have some they have not put on yet that they could photograph? Or is anyone willing to take them off to take pics for us?

And last, we are going to have to get ahold of a set for probably a month to use to make drawings and templates. If anyone could find it in their hearts to lend us theirs please PM me. We will buy a set if we have to, but you'd really be doing your fellow riders a favor if you can see your way clear to loaning some to us.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Yes please help some fellow riders out here. The way that we have this set up, it will work out really well for everyone involved. We have Dutter who works with Auto CAD, so he will be able to draw up the plans in every angle with perfect measurements and in 3D for Stan who Manages a Machine Shop, who can build these controls at a fraction of the cost. So if you have a set of Jardines that you're willing to put out ther on LOAN for us I am sure we can work out a deal where you could even get a set made for yourself and if you're just as happy with them as you are with your current controls you might want to sell your Jardines on ebay and make back most of what you spent on them and still have the same controls. Or we might even take up a collection on here to entice you to "rent" out your controls long enough so that Dutter is able to draw them up. I know this sounds very risky, you might and probably are thinking "What if I never get my controls back, I am out like $600." I understand this fear, so I can only give you this one guarantee, if (which I highly doubt) Dutter stiffs you and doesn't return your controls, well you'll already have his home address because you shipped them to him and sense I work for a major airline it would be VERY simple for us (yes meaning the both of us, cause I would want to help whoop his butt too) to fly Free to his state, rent a car (on me) and pay him a visit asking him to kindly return your controls. That I can guarantee, like I said tho, I am sure it will never come to that because Dutter has shown nothing but care and passion for this site as like everyone involved in this project. I know theres a few active members (unless they sold them already) that have these controls, so if one of them wants to step up and be a hero amongst fellow brothers and sisters of VN750.com we beg of you to be that said hero, sooooo whatcha say?

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

Yeah, there is some risk involved, but you have to trust people sometimes! We are indeed willing to pass the hat and compensate you in a "rental" sense if required. And if something really horrible happened to them (say they got lost in the mail) we could buy new ones to use as a pattern and give them to you when we're done. That could be our backup plan.

I have also posted on my local Craigslist to see if anyone local has them who is not a member of this site. Others of you might want to try this as well. Might be an easier sell if we can meet the person face to face perhaps? I'm giving it a shot.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

I wouldn't be to concerned with the issue of lost mail, just buy the insurance for it, but that brings up another issue of shipping costs. I feel that the LOANER shouldn't have to pay for shipping to Dutter, so I'll pay shipping one way if someone else pays the return shipping.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM

some pics would be a good place to start. we need to see how its linked up. i was looking at several designs from different manufactures, some are complicated with many components some designs are simple. the splines for the shifter could be a road block. even pics on the bike would be fine for now.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutter View Post
some pics would be a good place to start. we need to see how its linked up. i was looking at several designs from different manufactures, some are complicated with many components some designs are simple. the splines for the shifter could be a road block. even pics on the bike would be fine for now.
I have a question about patents and copying a design here. Do we need to be careful about how we do this? Or if we are only making a few sets for ourselves at cost, and not selling for profit, are we legal? Just a heads up. Maybe if we borrow ideas from more than one design, we are not infringing on the patent.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I have a question about patents and copying a design here. Do we need to be careful about how we do this? Or if we are only making a few sets for ourselves at cost, and not selling for profit, are we legal? Just a heads up. Maybe if we borrow ideas from more than one design, we are not infringing on the patent.
This has been brought up and discussed. We are pretty sure we are fine. Obviously conceptually no one owns the idea of a forward control. So that is not something anyone could have a claim on. Now it's possible if we get our hands on a set and there is some sort of unique gizmo involved that it might be patented, or patent applied for. But again doubtful. Chances are it's just an assemblage of things that are not copyright or patentable- linkages, hinges, gears, whatever.

And I've been assured the cosmetically our repros will look different enough not to be an issue.

Now if there is, a clever work around could be this. My brother does this in another field. They always leave 1 piece of an original in there. Then legally it is a "mod" not a "repro". In other words if we do get ahold of a set of Jardines and they have paperwork that says they are patented say, then we just have to use one original piece from them in each "repro" and they are "modified" or repaired in a legal sense since they have SOME original part.

This version we'd have to buy our set of course, couldn't "chop up" the borrowed ones. But we could still make our designs and such from the borrowed ones, so first things first.

And first thing is to get some good pics and go from there. Anyone? We know there are people on this forum who own and use them!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

I highly doubt that Stan will want to let alone have the time to start producing these for a bunch of profit. As stated in a prior thread it's highly unlikely we would be copy write/ patent infringing due to the process that we are taking in getting a few forward controls made for our bikes. I understand the concern but if we get a few forwards made and installed I won't be worried that someone would want to take me to court because they werent bought directly through Jardine.

Peace

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Newb with a Bullet!

And what's Jardine's motivation? The market for this is small- they don't make these bikes any more. How much do they want to spend to come after some hobby guys on a shaky case? I'm not worried about it.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Contact Stevie D :

https://www.vn750.com/forum/member.php?u=101

He has them on his bike and I am sure would be happy to take photos or measurements of them for you.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement