Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thumbs up They got more

Just got my LED tail/brake light from Clear Alternatives. They were out of stock but must have gotten them in as I received mine. Don't know how many they got but if anyone wants one, this is the time.

Installation is a breeze. The hardest part is twisting the new base into the bulb socket. Used long nose pliers but if they put in a piece of an ice cream stick into the epoxy in the base that secures the wires, it would be so much easier to twist that sucker in. A piece of cake and takes about 10 minutes if you're working slowly. My tail end is much brighter now so next time a guys is on my ass and I hit the brake I can give him a sunburn.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 PM

you should tell them that. cuz I know one of the guys on here has talked to them and it sounded like they are fairly receptive to comments
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I did tell them, hopefully they will listen. BTW, when I ordered and they told me they were out of this board, I saw the board for the 800 and it looked like it could work. Called them and had them measure it up. I told them to ship it to me and I figured with a little filing here and there I could make it fit. In the end It came down to a little too much work and some of my mods would come very close to the printed circuit so before I started I sent it back. I did tell them that they could make some mods to that board and have it fit the 750, 800, and the 1500 so they may do that. But I was happy that they got this board in so quickly. Their original estimate was a month or so from now.

LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Love My Baby

Hey Gemguy, I've got the clear alternatives LED board too. Love it. Measured the voltage I saved by replacing both incandescent bulbs with the LED board and it was significant. Plus a lot brighter! I plan to change out my turn signals to LED next. How about anyone else out there with LED turns - any advice?

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of doing that but Cliffusn pointed out that the directionals stay on for such a short period of time that it's not worth the work and I tend to agree with him. The front marker lights are on all the time but they're combined with the directionals so it gets complicated. I think I will just stay like this for now.

Clear Alternatives was out of the boards for our model so when I ordered they had to have more manufactured. Don't know how many they made but if anyone wants one this is the time to get it before they run out again.

~VROC~ # 389
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon

I upgraded all lights (except the headlight) on my VN750 to LED, even the license plate (pictured above). The turn signal and brakes were done using Radiantz 1.85" dual intensity clusters (search the forum for my full post). For all these LED mods I made my own connectors using the stock bulb bases and a loop made from coat hanger wire for easy installation. Clear Alternatives should just get some old coat hangers, cut and loop then to make their product easier to install also.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Hi Chris,
Nice picture. Is that the license plate light from Radiantz? Were you able to install it so it shines down where you need the illumination and where were you able to buy a 1156 base or did you break out the glass from an old one"?

Today was the first time I rode with the new LED light. I had considered raising my idle from 1,000 to 1,100 so I would get a constant charge instead of border line when I stopped. I noticed today that with the new LED I had a green light on my meter even when I stopped for a red light so I am leaving my idle as is. I know it'll only get better when I do the license light.

Fred

~VROC~ # 389
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Hi Chris,
Nice picture. Is that the license plate light from Radiantz? Were you able to install it so it shines down where you need the illumination and where were you able to buy a 1156 base or did you break out the glass from an old one"?

Today was the first time I rode with the new LED light. I had considered raising my idle from 1,000 to 1,100 so I would get a constant charge instead of border line when I stopped. I noticed today that with the new LED I had a green light on my meter even when I stopped for a red light so I am leaving my idle as is. I know it'll only get better when I do the license light.

Fred
Fred,

The picture is of the license plate mod. Click here for the orginal post.

For all my LED mods, I simply broke the glass of the stock bulb, installed the LED wires, coat hanger loop, then filled the cavity with siliconed.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Chris,
I will go off looking for a similar LED board for my license light. Did I read the other post correctly, that board is not as bright as the incandescent bulb?
Fred

~VROC~ # 389
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Thanks Chris,
I will go off looking for a similar LED board for my license light. Did I read the other post correctly, that board is not as bright as the incandescent bulb?
Fred
Here is an identical one on eBay.

This LED panel is brighter than the original stock incandescent bulb, with a bluish-white color light that illuminates the license plate better than the yellowish light of an incandescent bulb (IMO).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement