Mustang Pissin Me Off - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mustang Pissin Me Off

So after the past month and a half I got my Mustang seat. Having some mixed feelings about it. First off, it is weird, to my hand it feels soft and cushiony, but to my butt it don't. But my back feels much better, and my butt doesn't go numb. Weird. So I do like it. My wife loves it. So that is all that really matters, just makes it easier to get her to ride with me.
Second, I didn't realize that it wasn't leather, that it is some kinda vinyl. Which is okay, but the seat was already old, so i know it isn't going to wear any softer.
Third. This f-ing thing came with no exageration, but it came with 2inch threaded rods sticking out the back for mounting. Which is freaking impossible to get into place without removing the whole metal backrest and putting this thing together as one piece. Which lead to another problem I will get to later.
So I tried to cut them down. Well first the insert that these rods screw into comes loose from the back of the seat. So I gouged up the threads with a pliers trying to hold them in place to get nut tightened down to double up to hold the rod in place. So when I cut them down, one of them I went way too short with. So now I only have one rod to get a high-speed wingnut onto. And that rod is still kinda long so I have to bend the seatback backwards and pound down. Which worked out fine, until I did it with my jacket on, and the zipper tab was facing down and punched a small hole into the seat. For some reason in my rage filled brain it doesn't seem like that would happen to leather, stupid vinyl. I know it probably would have happened either way.

Now if I wasn't having all these other problem with this bike where at the end of the day I have to remove the seat and put the charger on it, I would have left the seat on until I absolutly had to remove it. You may ask why I don't have a battery tender and don't have the leads hangin out. Well I did, but I had to use my friends tender. Cuz my bike just came with the leads. And for some genius reason he had a seat of leads zip-tied to his cables. So when I went to throw it on the tender I grabbed those leads and plugged them in. Well when you put the zip-tie through the copper rings on one set of leads and you plug that into a battery, things go smokey in a second. So now my leads are toast and so are his. And by the looks of it my battery is fine.

Also this seat pushes really hard onto the vent hose on the gas tank. and it has spots that are already wearing against things it shouldn't. Like my rear fender. Maybe I will paint on some trunk bed liner in that spot to help it out.
As for the bolts. Maybe I can rivet a plate to the seat and get someone to weld on some nut to the plate so I can use bolts like the factory intended.
do I need to worry about what type of metal nuts I use? Like should I go with galvi, shiny zinc, or stainless. I think the sheet metal will be some scrap from work. Which the galvi used in heat ducts.

I know I have a lot I biched about here. But I am really pissed off at this bike right now. Just want it to run. Only good thing is I am going to be in Texas this weekend so I won't be looking at it and wanting to ride it.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sorry to hear about the seat. I think in the last post you had about the seat I had mentioned that I had a similar issue with the mounts. I'm going to take a 1/8" x 3" x 6" piece of steel and rivit it to the back of the seat where the mounts are and then tap the holes for some standard 10mm x 1.5" bolts. I should be doing this soon if you want to wait until I get the steps down I'll post it when I'm done.

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM

my mustang seat bolted right up? 5 minute install. you must of got a diffrent one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

mustve. did yours use nuts or have a bolt that you used inside the trunk?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Mine had threaded inserts in the seat, just like the stock seat.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

this has inserts. but they mustve done something to lock in the threads. cuz the inserts spin when I try to remove the thread
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Sounds like a PO modified it/screwed it up.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
mustve. did yours use nuts or have a bolt that you used inside the trunk?
2 bolts inside the trunk that hold the stock seat on. the seat was missing one of the threaded inserts upon recieving it (used). i ended up epoxing a 1/4-20 threaded/barbed insert to replace the missing 10mm one. i did have to push back on the backrest pad to get the bolt threads started most liklely why the one insert was missing in the first place. if i was you i would run with your idea of riviting a plate on. if you dont have acess to a welder you can mount some "mounting flange nuts".

here is another option (cheaper) http://www.mcmaster.com/#90186a313/=1yfk39

Last edited by dutter; 05-20-2009 at 10:32 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM

I had a similar experience with the used seat I traded my stock seat for. Both bolts had spun in the fiberglass so I had to remove them. I put a piece of strap metal inside, under the foam with two bolts through it. It's a pain to remove and install the seat but it can be done. I think Mustang did a rotten design job on how the seat bolts on, at least on the older ones. But, it works and doesn't seem to cause any other problems like you mentioned. Sorry you are having such a problem with it!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 PM

after i fixed mine it has been trouble free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement