McCuff (No splash, no spill motorcycle fill) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thumbs up McCuff (No splash, no spill motorcycle fill)

Two huge thumbs up!

Product works as advertised. I'm probably not the best person to do this test, because I don't know all of the issues that come up at the gas station fillups (I only had my first one today!) But I was concered that if something could go wrong filling up my ride for the first time, it would happen to me.

So after seeing several things about the McCuff, I decided to order one. 20 bucks from their website and it comes with a nifty bag to keep it from getting gas on the rest of your stuff and the bag can be strapped to your bike if you like (I just stuck it in the saddlebag).

I pulled up to the pump, opened the gas cap, slipped the McCuff on the nozzle and put the nozzle into the tank. The McCuff makes a nice seal around the gas opening and I filled her up until the first click, pulled the nozzle out, shook off the drippage into the tank, and voila. A full tank of gas, with absolutely no spills or mess.

I highly recommend it if you feel you need help keeping your tank clean (like I do)!

http://www.mccuff.com/

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 "Serenity"
Changed Oil/Filter and Coolant
Installed Big Crank ETX15L Battery w/charger hookups
Duct-taped retention safety for toolbox door
New OEM clutch lever replaced after first tipover
Plan on: changing brake fluid, coastering, lubing splines, relocating R/R, new saddlebags, highway pegs, windshield.
Scratch that...make that getting her ready for sale. Nope, scratch THAT! I'm keeping her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 PM

I have one of the mccuff things too and i like it very much. It does make filling up faster easier with the nozzles around here.

I wish i wouldve thought of it!

Jack
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I will have one if they ever get around to shipping it. I emailed the company tonight and they responded right away saying they'd check on it. I give them 2 days, then I cancel my payment. Will let you know if they ship the product or just take the money and run.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

I just hold the nozzle carefully and pump slowly, followed my a three-mississippi and a tap when full. Never spilled a drop. Probably takes me two more minutes, and I've got 20 bucks in my pocket to spend on something else.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
The Reanimater

Yeah when I was younger I'd just grab a few of the paper towels and hold around the nozzle when I pumped the gas. Any gas that might drip at the end was caught in the Paper towels.

This persons comment made me back off on the thought of using the McCuff.

"What is one supposed to do with a gasoline soaked rubber donut between fill ups? Hell, how are you supposed to handle it? With rubber gloves?"
Posted by: Al Christensen | Sep 11, 2006 10:23:34 AM

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
I just hold the nozzle carefully and pump slowly, followed my a three-mississippi and a tap when full. Never spilled a drop. Probably takes me two more minutes, and I've got 20 bucks in my pocket to spend on something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthill524 View Post
Yeah when I was younger I'd just grab a few of the paper towels and hold around the nozzle when I pumped the gas. Any gas that might drip at the end was caught in the Paper towels.

This persons comment made me back off on the thought of using the McCuff.

"What is one supposed to do with a gasoline soaked rubber donut between fill ups? Hell, how are you supposed to handle it? With rubber gloves?"
Posted by: Al Christensen | Sep 11, 2006 10:23:34 AM
I`m with msh and jthill on this one. I`m not in that big of a rush when I get gas. I usually walk around for a few minutes to walk off the numb bum anyway. Just go a bit slower and be careful. If the paper towel doesn`t catch a drip and it falls on the tank, just dip the towel in the windshield washer fluid or water beside every pump, and give it a quick wipe, followed by a dry wipe.

The cuff for diesels might be worthwhile when you are filling tanks that hold one or two hundred gallons of fuel. It frees up the driver for a few minutes, to look after other things while he is stopped. The diesel video said the cuff was made from a non absorbing polymer, so should eliminate the problem of a "gas soaked rubber donut", jt.

In my opinion, it is a solution to a nonexistant problem, and just one more thing to find a place to carry.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhusn View Post
I will have one if they ever get around to shipping it. I emailed the company tonight and they responded right away saying they'd check on it. I give them 2 days, then I cancel my payment. Will let you know if they ship the product or just take the money and run.
Be patient there Cliff. Just for a comparison, I ordered mine late Monday night (the 11th) and I received notification that it was shipping on the 12th and it arrived in my mailbox 4 days later on Saturday the 16th.

Hey, everybody's got there own way to skin a cat, to each their own. But I just figured being new to everything, this is one less thing I have to worry about. Someone in other thread asked me to let them know how it worked so I wrote up this quick endorsement so everyone could see.

2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 "Serenity"
Changed Oil/Filter and Coolant
Installed Big Crank ETX15L Battery w/charger hookups
Duct-taped retention safety for toolbox door
New OEM clutch lever replaced after first tipover
Plan on: changing brake fluid, coastering, lubing splines, relocating R/R, new saddlebags, highway pegs, windshield.
Scratch that...make that getting her ready for sale. Nope, scratch THAT! I'm keeping her!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04newbie View Post
Hey, everybody's got there own way to skin a cat, to each their own. But I just figured being new to everything, this is one less thing I have to worry about...

And that's all well and fine. Just know that the McCuff is in the bike world what the "pocket protector" is in the academic world.

You will be laughed at by real bikers and may even be called a nerd.

That said, I know that putting gas in your bike is a bit of a pain with those pump nozzles that have the stupid retracting "vapor hose"..which do nothing to make the chore easy.
But GOD has given us two hands and a brain.. which allow us to figure problems out like this without resorting to crutches. Hold the pump nozzle with your strong hand, and use your other hand to pull the vapor hose back. Insert the hose and fill , watching the inside of the tank to to avoid over filling.
Remember the harder you squeeze the handle the faster the gas comes out. Practice just letting it barely dribble out. Some pumps don't work well this way, so test your range with the nozzle in the tank.
When you stop pumping, tap the nozzle gently against the edge of the fill hole, and remove the hose slowly tipping it so it is pointing up. Guide the vapor hose towards the end of the nozzle and return the nozzle to its holder.

Keep in mind that the tank should not be harmed by a little bit of gas being spilled on it.

And personally, I'd rather drip a bit of gas on my tank than look like a bike nerd.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
And that's all well and fine. Just know that the McCuff is in the bike world what the "pocket protector" is in the academic world.

You will be laughed at by real bikers and may even be called a nerd.
KM
Gosh! Laughed at by "real bikers"! A fate worse than death! Oh the shame, the ignominy of it all! How will we bear it? How can we go on, branded as mc nerds?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Gosh! Laughed at by "real bikers"! A fate worse than death!

Well, not really. I'm not really even sure anymore what a "real biker" is..I just used the phrase for a more comical accent.

I've been riding for along time, but not sure I'd call myself a "real biker"...I actualy hate the word "biker" as it still just brings up the stereotypical "bad ass outlaw" image to most folks.

Perhaps to have been more clear but not as silly I could have said "vetern" or "long time" motorcyclist instead.

And I am the last person that would give a **** what someone else thinks of me , but......

...... I would still laugh if I saw someone using the tank rubber thingy at a filling station.... that's just how I am.

KM

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement