Chad's Floorboards - Tilted on my '03? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
At Least I Can Spell!

Chad's Floorboards - Tilted on my '03?

I bought and installed Chad's floorboards, but it wasn't until I went on a ride to feel the difference that I noticed they're not flat like I would have expected them to be. (see attached pics) I can't actually rest my feet flat on them as I had hoped and as they are they're really no better than the stock pegs - which I never noticed to be tilted at all.

Cliffusn tells me his set of boards sit flat. Perhaps there is a difference between his 93 and my 03 specific to the stock peg mounts??

I prefer to keep them... to give them a chance, so since there appears to be no way to adjust the angle on the stock foot peg mount I wonder if there's another way to tip these little fellas up without my having to use AutoCAD or have metal fabricating skills, welding or special equipment. MacGyver I'm not... not even close. I'm turning to you for creativity.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------

Last edited by msh1156; 01-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I can't offer any help....though that angle doesn't look unusual from any other pics I've seen. (Do you have unusually long legs?)

That the first pic looks like shifting would be a real PITA, and regarding those floorboards I've never seen a post here from riders mentioning either issue.

Did you take a look thru the gallery to see if any others look similar?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Now that I see the pictures I see exactly what you mean. Mine are flat but not level as you want, they have the same pitch as yours. That being said, I find that to be a natural angle and my feet feel great on the boards as they are. I don't think I'd want them flat, that would put your ankle at an odd angle when you ride. I'd ride with them on first and see what you think, as for me, I love the boards as they are. (Thanks for the pictures, they make the difference in the discussion.)

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
At Least I Can Spell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
I can't offer any help....though that angle doesn't look unusual from any other pics I've seen. (Do you have unusually long legs?)

That the first pic looks like shifting would be a real PITA, and regarding those floorboards I've never seen a post here from riders mentioning either issue.
When awake I'm 6'1" with 34" inseam, more or less. The balls of my feet rest on the boards, so I think this design and positioning is better for those with shorter legs.

Shifting is a PITA if I move the shifter up even one tooth on the sprocket. Makes it too high. I wish it had a finer adjustment - half a tooth would do it. I remember I posted something about that adjustment some months ago... pretty much got used to it as it is.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
I used to have floorboards made by KM. I think Chad's are based on the same design. My experience is that they felt flat, nicely flat on my 2006 VN. (I'm just under 5' 9"; inseam @ 30-31".)

Unfortunately, I recently snapped off a peg while falling over in a parking lot; so I replaced both sides with Kuryakan stirrups. I do like them, especially since I readjusted the angle, but I'm still getting used to the different feel... the floorboards were so nicely... flat.

EZC

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRector View Post
I used to have floorboards made by KM. I think Chad's are based on the same design. My experience is that they felt flat, nicely flat on my 2006 VN. (I'm just under 5' 9"; inseam @ 30-31".)

Unfortunately, I recently snapped off a peg while falling over in a parking lot; so I replaced both sides with Kuryakan stirrups. I do like them, especially since I readjusted the angle, but I'm still getting used to the different feel... the floorboards were so nicely... flat.
any pics of the kury peggs ?????????????????????

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

IMO, a flatter (level) floorboard would be nice if your feet where more straight down from the seat, but uncomfortable if flat (level) out in front of you.
Well, 'You' meaning.... those of us who are more vertically challenged (shorter), so I could see how it might take some getting used to, as is, for taller riders.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 AM

mine is a 2003 also and i got my boards from KM and they feel great. i am a bit shorter than you but riding with the boards for me is so much more comfortable. when i get on the highway i flip out my highway pegs (from J.C. Whitney) and stretch out. maybe you should look into highway pegs. if the bike wasn't too small for you with the original pegs i can't imagine a problem with the boards.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
That is how all of them are, even teh factory boards are tilted Factory Kawasaki boards, but the last set I saw over a year ago on Ebay went for over $300.
They had extra brackets that bolted to the fraim, Diania has them on her bike, I had a set but sold them when I sold my 750.
Here is a picture of my old bike with factory boards on.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 AM

What about adding SS washers to the bolts under the boards? Looks like that would get them closer to level. Might need longer bolts though.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement