Luggage rack - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Luggage rack

What’s up all, when I left work today and opened my top box to get my helmet I heard a weird squeak. The typical metal on metal type noise. So upon further inspection I realized the left side of the luggage rack seemed a bit loose and it was the source of the squeak. Got home popped off the seat and the tool box and realized it was not loose. It cracked right at the bracket. I don't really think I had a lot in the top box mounted to it, but i always thought its position was too cantilevered and these streets around here are terrible and the constant banging around just torqued it too much. I’m glad I noticed it because if the other side snapped that would’ve sucked for anyone behind me.

Anyway, I know these are impossible to find so my question is are there any aftermarket ones that fit? If not is this even the type of metal that can be welded? I’m skilled but I have zero metalworking experience so I’m making no assumptions. The other option I considered is since the tubing is hollow, I could possibly put a smaller metal rod inside to brace it and run a few screws through it. Hoping someone on here may have a good idea

But this is what I’m working with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	402E163F-B726-4046-85CC-4706BE219B07_1581552867895.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	47199   Click image for larger version

Name:	0739FF42-B2FA-4E08-B979-CEBB4C7C1E9A_1581552885065.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	47201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 PM
NewB to Vulcans

Its probably thin wall steel tube with chrome plate.

I would find a steel tube or rod that fits snugly inside a couple inches long as reinforcement, clean up the broken edges put it together and weld the joint and filler together.

'99 Vulcan "Victoria"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Garage
Bummer.

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess the racks are fabricated from mild steel, then chrome plated. A welding shop could grind off the chrome in the surrounding area (as it creates poisonous gas when heated), then weld it back together, and then you'd have to have it sent somewhere to be chromed again. You could probably have it powder-coated for cheaper, but without the bling factor.

You could try bolting to a plug, but it'd probably always be a little loose and floppy, and would eventually fail as the bolts wore through the tube.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The rack is made from steel tube and chrome plated.
As TonyO said, use some inserted back-up rod to fit the ID.
If you know a Tig welder, get them to weld it with stainless rod.
I've Tig welded lots of chromed hydraulic cylinder rod from dozers and backhoes that were deeply scored from rock scrapes and caused the seals to leak. I've had no problem welding them with stainless rod adjacent to the chromed surface and sanding/honing them down to surface diameter.
On your rack there would likely be a little rust form between the stainless weld and the chrome, but I would just rattle can spray it with clear coat after welding and grinding/sanding.

"I need yo clothes, yo boots and yo motocycle."- Uncle Bob
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input, I’ll have to look around for a welding shop around me because I don’t have the tools to do anything like what you guys are talking about. Now my brother in law makes his living metalworking, but the problem there is he’s in Seattle and I’m in Philly! Depending on what local folks want to charge me I still may end up shipping it out to him.

The bling factor isn’t really a deal breaker for me. With the top box mounted on it it’s basically unseen so I’d be content just preventing it from rusting.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have one of those racks. I think it can be repaired by using a smaller diameter tube inside, and welding it. It won't look that great, and the cost of getting it rechromed would be absurd. I've had a few things crack on these bikes. I've been through three license plates. Amost certainly caused by metal fatigue, which in turn was caused by vibration, even though the Vulcan 750 is a fairly smooth bike. Could be that high frequency vibrations are more likely to cause that type of damage than low frequency, ala Harley. Yes, Vulcan 750s are getting harder and harder to find parts for, which has me a bit concerned.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:20 PM

Garage
My license plate split recently too. From what I can tell it was from being buffeted by the wind, which stressed the top two bolt holes. I made a backing plate to reinforce it, which seems to be working out well.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
Whatís up all, when I left work today and opened my top box to get my helmet I heard a weird squeak. The typical metal on metal type noise. So upon further inspection I realized the left side of the luggage rack seemed a bit loose and it was the source of the squeak. Got home popped off the seat and the tool box and realized it was not loose. It cracked right at the bracket. I don't really think I had a lot in the top box mounted to it, but i always thought its position was too cantilevered and these streets around here are terrible and the constant banging around just torqued it too much. Iím glad I noticed it because if the other side snapped that wouldíve sucked for anyone behind me.

Anyway, I know these are impossible to find so my question is are there any aftermarket ones that fit? If not is this even the type of metal that can be welded? Iím skilled but I have zero metalworking experience so Iím making no assumptions. The other option I considered is since the tubing is hollow, I could possibly put a smaller metal rod inside to brace it and run a few screws through it. Hoping someone on here may have a good idea

But this is what Iím working with
yup, I've seen this before. it happened to EZ-C. He had it fixed somehow. I think he did the tube inside the tube deal. lol

well, if push comes to shove, you could always buy the one Ruger has for sale.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Wow, never seen one break. They are generally well made, and although they warn you not to put more than 6 pounds on the rack (Iíve actually stood on mine) Iíd say your right it was just metal fatigue from stress over time.
The welding suggestions above should work. You might want to install some kind of block under the rack when you re-install it, that goes from one of the racks rungs to the fender. This would take some stress off the apparent weak spot of the rack when your case is loaded and your going over bumpy roads.

Itís been known for years that licence plates will crack do to vibration (not wind) and itís a good idea to back them with some heavier gauge metal.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
What’s up all, when I left work today and opened my top box to get my helmet I heard a weird squeak. The typical metal on metal type noise. So upon further inspection I realized the left side of the luggage rack seemed a bit loose and it was the source of the squeak. Got home popped off the seat and the tool box and realized it was not loose. It cracked right at the bracket. I don't really think I had a lot in the top box mounted to it, but i always thought its position was too cantilevered and these streets around here are terrible and the constant banging around just torqued it too much. I’m glad I noticed it because if the other side snapped that would’ve sucked for anyone behind me.

Anyway, I know these are impossible to find so my question is are there any aftermarket ones that fit? If not is this even the type of metal that can be welded? I’m skilled but I have zero metalworking experience so I’m making no assumptions. The other option I considered is since the tubing is hollow, I could possibly put a smaller metal rod inside to brace it and run a few screws through it. Hoping someone on here may have a good idea

But this is what I’m working with
yup, I've seen this before. it happened to EZ-C. He had it fixed somehow. I think he did the tube inside the tube deal. lol

well, if push comes to shove, you could always buy the one Ruger has for sale. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/VN750_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/VN750_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
Spoken like a true opportunist lol. PM me your price. I may be interested. I’m taking this one to my friends brother later. He’s the kind of guy that has a “guy” to take care of everything. Even if he fixes it I may take you up on it because a spare is not a bad idea and I really don’t want to get rid of the top box. It’s a Givi and I paid up a little for it because the cheap eBay one I had at first cracked pretty quick and I wanted something that was made better. This one survived me dumping the bike a few months back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement